Toronto Garrison Point | 118.56m | 35s | Cityzen | Hariri Pontarini

The relevant material from the pdf linked above is this from page 5:

City Owned Lands
On October 25, 2011 City Council adopted recommendations made by Real Estate Services to declare surplus the remainder of the Ordnance Street triangle lands, municipally known as 10, 11 and 25 Ordnance and 45 Strachan Avenue, and transfer control of the properties to Build Toronto. The transfer of the lands to Build Toronto is to facilitate a comprehensive development concept and phasing timeline that will integrate, where possible, with the plans of the 30 Ordnance Street.
Build Toronto and the applicants for 30 Ordnance Street (Diamondcorp) have already engaged City Planning staff in a preliminary master planning exercise to determine the potential comprehensive development opportunities for the Ordnance Triangle properties. Initial concepts proposed by Build Toronto and Diamondcorp identify the potential for additional residential towers to be built on 11 and 25 Ordnance and 45 Strachan. Under the preliminary concept 10 Ordnance would be designated and developed as park land and would accommodate a potential touchdown point for the future Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge. Through the ongoing process, additional height or density and minor building adjustments may also be identified or accommodated on the 30 Ordnance Street site if deemed appropriate. Any formal proposal to build residential towers on the remaining Ordnance Street lands would require Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning applications as the properties are designated as an Employment District and Employment Areas and presently have a zoning designation of I1 D3. To address the Official Plan designation issues, City Council, at its November 29, 2011 meeting, adopted a recommendation, as part of the Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge alternative design decision, that directed City Planning to consider the master plan being developed for the Ordnance triangle lands as part of the 5 year Official Plan and the Municipal Comprehensive Review currently being undertaken and that the result be reported to Planning and Growth Management Committee no later than June 2012.
Forty-five Strachan Avenue is currently occupied by a Municipal Licensing and Standards office in a building that has been renovated for its use. Ten Ordnance Street is currently a vacant parcel of land that had previously been the subject of a Council directed review to rezone the lands to Park Land (G). Eleven Ordnance Street is leased to Eva's Phoenix, a Below Market Rent tenant, for the operation of a hostel for homeless youth, which provides shelter and employment training. Eva's has also leased a portion of the existing building at 25 Ordnance Street to operate a print shop and youth training centre. As part of the transfer of 11 and 25 Ordnance to Build Toronto, Build is required to continue to work with Eva's Phoenix in order to assist them in a transition to new accommodations and to provide both consulting support and financial support to facilitate this re-accommodation.

Does this one really have to happen? More condos along the tracks and Gardiner...couldn't we get a little more inventive here? I'm all for making use of our land, but in a better way than just more condos.
And who wants to live right at the fork of 2 railway lines (one of which is soon to be a lot busier than it currently is), slightly north of a major expressway? I'm a little north of this, closer to King and Strachan and I can hear the trains quite clearly, I'd hate to be smack in the middle of both lines on this parcel. I really hope Morgan Solar doesn't get pushed out, those are the kind of industries we want in areas such as this. I agree with this area being designated for employment. Some interesting commercial or industrial startups, mixed in with a little creativity (much like Morgan Solar) would be perfect for this spot. Between Liberty Village, Cityplace, Stafford St, Wellington St, Lake Shore near Fleet/Bathurst... I think this are might be near capacity for residential developments. King Streetcar is a joke. DRL with a Liberty Village stop anyone?
It's probably only matter of time before the shelter at the corner of Wellington & Strachan gets pushed out as well. The land directly east of the shelter, on the south side of Wellington would be much better if you ask me, right at the foot of Stanley Park. But they are (maybe?) building that pedestrian bridge there. Between that, the Strachan overpass, this development and the never ending development of Liberty Village...it's going to be a busy few years.

10 ORDNANCE ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 223589 STE 19 OZ Ward 19
- Tor & E.York Aug 2, 2012 --- --- --- Phipps, Sarah
(416) 392-7622
Standard Official Plan Amendment Application for an extension of the bounary limits of Site Specific Policy 7 to permit additional residential uses.

Ordnance_op.jpg

10 ORDNANCE ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 230482 STE 19 OZ Ward 19
- Tor & E.York Aug 16, 2012 --- --- --- Phipps, Sarah
(416) 392-7622
Rezoning Application to permitt construction of 2 mixed use buildings with 3 towers - Aprox 1109 Units

10 ORDNANCE ST
- Tor & E.York Aug 16, 2012 --- --- --- Phipps, Sarah
(416) 392-7622
Rezoning Application to permitt construction of 2 mixed use buildings with 3 towers - Aprox 1109 Units

Updated as per UD....http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/11068-New-city-park-10-Ordnance-Street/page2
Wow, the tallest to be 49 storeys,.... thats quite a change in height for that area, but then again there is nothing there.

10 ORDNANCE ST
- Tor & E.York Aug 16, 2012 --- --- --- Rees, Thomas
416-392-0758
Rezoning to permit a mixed use development comprising two mixed-use buildings (Phase 2 Blocks 1 and 3) with three towers with overall tower heights of 49 storeys (Tower 1), 29 storeys (Tower 5) and 23 storeys (Tower 4). All buildings have ground floor commercial uses and a combined total of 1,109 residential units.

http://blog.mycondomylife.com/cityzen-developments/2012/09/sam-talks-september-2012-edition.html

We recently announced a new mixed use community at 30 Ordnance and interest is growing. I can't say too much at this point, but I wanted to introduce you to the project.

Once complete, the site will contain approximately 5 buildings. In the first phase we'll see two building with residential podiums. In the later phases we'll introduce a retail component, so the area will also serve as a public space.

We're really excited about the team we've assembled to work on this. We're using the architects at Hariri Pontarini, landscape design by Claude Cormier and interiors by Munge Leung. We'd like for it to be a community with its own identity but with the added benefits of being right next door to Liberty Village, King West and the waterfront.

Yeah, but its out in the sticks....who cares

Depends on your definition of the sticks. This will essentially become an extension of Liberty Village, which is crazy as it is with more coming. We already eradicated every last centimetre of industry in what is now Liberty Village, I think its a shame to see Morgan Solar go too. But who needs good paying jobs when you can work at the Subway in the bottom of your condo, right?
I really wish Liberty and King West in general was a more of a mixed use neighbourhood instead of a filing cabinet for mid-20s transplants from rural Ontario.

Disclaimer: I'm a King West resident and landlord (but not sure I will be for much longer if this keeps up).

^I agree that mixed use would be great wherever possible (and that LV does appear to have become a filing cabinet for mid-20s transplants with a weird, car-oriented, distinctly suburban vibe), but the Morgan Solar thing is a red herring. Morgan was reportedly on a short-term, very cheap lease that paid the property taxes while the landlord tried to make his best deal with a developer. It would be great if we could find a way for "new economy" industrial work to be done throughout the city, but placeholder leases of former industrial lands aren't the same thing.

Over 1000 parking spots proposed with this development, according to the signs at the site.
Seems a bit much, no?

not really ... considering there are 1,109 residential units proposed + other 'mixed' uses

Back