Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Personally, I can't stand Gehry.

Like most geniuses, he is one dimensional. I believe he saw a shape in a dream as a child and has spent the rest of his life trying to manifest it in reality. Everything is just a variation on the same theme. The same goes for Libeskind, Calatrava and the like.

I dislike reading all the "Me Too" posts of the members who just want a Gehry so they can feel like they have joined the exclusive country club of the World-cities with a Gehry of their own. I think that makes us sound even more small-townish than not having one at all.

Besides... Even Springfield has a Gerhy and their town is still a crap-hole.

View attachment 9403

You could say pretty much a lot of Toronto's new architecture is one dimensional. How many neo-modernist buildings does this city need?

I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a few buildings ....

Ya, but couldn't we move this great idea about 3000 feet to the south on Queen's Quay? Then we could finally have our shiny bauble on the waterfront while rejoicing in the demolition of the ugly triplets - instead of a beautiful new theatre and six heritage buildings.

Everything is just a variation on the same theme. The same goes for Libeskind, Calatrava and the like.

i agree, although i won't say i can't stand him (or any other of the architects you named), but ya, i really do see him (recycling?) old themes/ideas... Perhaps a better word is trademarking structures? The middle tower really screams New York by Gehry/Beekman inspiration. In fact, they even used images/clips of it in the promotional video of Gehry sketching the Beekman making it seem like he was designing these towers... Although, if the middle one turns out even close to NY by Gehry, i won;t complain (although the other 2 towers might be too distracting)

Actually we already had our Gehry - it's called the AGO. As to Libeskind - just how did say L Tower have the same theme as the ROM, for example? Not to mention, the notion that one should dislike an architect just because their buildings have a certain vocabulary - independent of its' aesthetic appeal, the power of that building to inspire and last but not least, its' ability to address programmatic requirements is less of caricature of inflated self-importance on the basis of being supposedly different? Like yes, we know Calatrava has a certain style, but to deny the appeal of say his upcoming WTC hub on the basis of similarities in form with BCE place? Sorry. that'd be saying I dislike Union Station because someone already used Doric columns elsewhere in their architecture.

steveve

Considering little to no details about the cladding is provided for the 3 towers, I find it difficult to associate Beekman with the project (other than sheer height). In fact, looking at the cross section of the middle tower - it's incredibly Toronto with the Y form referencing the quintessential local apartment tower from the 60s-70s.

AoD

Last edited:
The Guggenheim and its architecture is not the reason for the city's turnaround. It was one piece of it, but there were numerous(!) big changes made in turning the city around, lots of cultural interventions and other improvements to its infrastructure, etc.

Agree/Disagree.

The building was not the only reason for the city's turnaround, however it is responsible for creating a new sense of civic pride in Bilbao and creating a new industry that didn't exist (tourism). This allowed the city to reinvest some of the new money pouring in, to other civic projects, which combined have raised the profile of Bilbao and quality of life in Bilbao. It also changed the minds of local politicians who did not feel that investing in culture and arts would pay off. Without the Guggenheim, none of this investment would have occurred, and politicians wouldn't have learned of the benefits of spending money on culture and art.

So yes, it did have an effect and was responsible for the city's turnaround, however it alone is not the reason why Bilbao is a better place today.

I think what'd be fairer to say is that Bilbao Effect is difficult to replicate elsewhere and certainly we can't expect a project like this to achieve what it did to Bilbao (a city which is hardly on anyone's imagination before) - the canvas is simple a bit full in Toronto.

AoD

From what I can see so far this project is exceptional in every respect. It is quite simply extraordinary. If you've got a problem with it, you hate life.

Like most geniuses, he is one dimensional. I believe he saw a shape in a dream as a child and has spent the rest of his life trying to manifest it in reality. Everything is just a variation on the same theme. The same goes for Libeskind, Calatrava and the like.

I dislike reading all the "Me Too" posts of the members who just want a Gehry so they can feel like they have joined the exclusive country club of the World-cities with a Gehry of their own. I think that makes us sound even more small-townish than not having one at all.

Besides... Even Springfield has a Gerhy and their town is still a crap-hole.

View attachment 9403

Your calling him one dimensional, yet you say he's a genius.

It's his trademark. One of the way art experts decide if a painting is a certain artists' is by looking at the unique painting style, This is Gehry's style. Would you then say mies van der Rohey is one dimensional? You dislike reading all the "Me Too" posts, you sound like you believe your an independent thinker.

This is his hometown. It would just be awful for our small-town city to have his architectural "theme".

Springfield would still a crap-hole if it had a Frank Lloyd Wright.

View attachment 9403

Gehry is one of the few architects that can get imaginative and thought provoking designs built and thus raise the profile of architecture and architects in a time where mediocre "developers" have too much power.

I dislike reading all the "Me Too" posts of the members who just want a Gehry so they can feel like they have joined the exclusive country club of the World-cities with a Gehry of their own. View attachment 9403

Traynor - revealing syntax of yours: "Personally, I can't...etc"

You don't need the word "personally" before "I". It reveals an attempt to emphasize or elevate yourself in all this. Sadly, its not about you. The world is divided into those who admire Greatness and those who despise and resent it. For every person I've seen whose lips curl in disgust and shake their head; I've seen ten who flat out love this concept.

If you can't stand Gehry it doesn't make you any more unique than the legions who hate the Greats in any field. You views reveal yourself, your potential for even modest success. Fortunately we can count on your hypocracy - no doubt you'd craawl over broken glass to own a unit there.

Every great artist has a signature style they work with - why not?

Please - discus the proposal and not each other. Don't agree with someone's opinions? Argue the opinions, not the person.

A really interesting article on Gehry that raised my opinions on him a bit more: http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/counties/los-angeles/frank-gehry-closet-classicist.html

I think a lot of people think of him and his art as some pastiche of Bilbao/Disney and, maybe if we're lucky, 8 Spruce (Beekman). The fact is, he has a deep and varied oeuvre, with a lot of under-appreciated works: Binoculars Building, Dancing House, all his German stuff, and IAC - possibly one of my favorite post-war structures, period. And, like the ROM, they all have a very delicate sense of context, one which barely gets noticed.

Take the IAC Building, for example. When it was built, the neighbouring High Line still only existed on paper. Today, when I think of Chelsea, high tech, trendy, vibrant, the Gehry still factors into that. I find it amazing that a building can start to feel of its moment only six years down the line!

---

There are a lot of headwinds for this project. I want it to go forward. What we lose is King West as we knew it. What we gain is something new; a curveball. But, as I see it, it was already straining, possibly stagnating (on the cultural side, not the development side). Let's take this where it goes...

Back