Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

Torontovibe makes a good point about how the Yonge Street mall was a break from the past ... and showed the way forward to the outdoor cafe society we enjoy today. I assumed that, once established, it would return every summer but alas no.

That said I am not sure if the situation warrants turning that stretch into a pedestrian mall at this time - upgraded streetscape/widened sidewalks, yes.

AoD

"At this time"... but the 5- St.joseph development pattern of keeping Yonge low-rise is smart. The conversation will change in 10-15 years when the "downtown-U" area has more and more residents who rarely use cars and require more and more service-based businesses. They will also need (and hopefully, demand) places to mix, interact, relax and enjoy their lives in a built environment of higher quality than downtown Toronto currently provides. Taking cars off Yonge - even making it 2 lanes for the time being is, in my opinion, the best solution for this growing need.

Interesting thing about 5 St Joseph is that for whatever reason, AFAIK the existing Yonge frontages *aren't* (or at least not yet, unless very recently) on the Inventory of Heritage Properties--so there's a lesson in how you don't need a listing to find inherent "worth" in an address. (Betcha Kyle Rae has something to do with it, too.)

And re the Yonge Street Mall: my impression of it isn't exactly fiasco-ish, although it may have been mall fiascos or anticlimaxes elsewhere (Sparks, Granville, this-and-that in the States) that motivated the City to not continue. Remember: the 70s were when these wouldbe "urbanizing" street-mall panaceas in North America had a knack of collapsing into horror vacuiis of hoboes and vagrants and vice--then again, Yonge was on that path anyway, mall or no mall.

Oh, and that's one big m.f. of a Danforth Radio sign in that first Yonge Mall picture.

Central Surplus, which I can't decide whether to bemoan or not, has a sign in the window announcing their lease is expiring, and it's moving sale time. From now on, all urban camo is tol be strictly bourgeois.

I take it that's the Delta Chelsea being constructed in the first photo?

1974 Yonge Street Mall (from www.getstockphotos.ca):

yongemall.jpg
yongemall2.jpg

Thanks for the image and comment above, UD: you could not have posted anything more perfect for what follows.

I have to admit a real fondness for the grandly named but very narrow St. Nicholas Street. I have walked that lane, pictured above, on many occasions: one of my closest friends lives just at the south end of it, and a walk along St. Nick was the quickest way for us to get to what was Club Colby's in the 90s. The lane has this wonderfully gritty feel, tight, a bit dark, lined with bricks that carry the patina of many, many years on them.

Ed and I were talking with a number of the principals involved with this project today, and it was Anna Simone, of Cecconi Simone, who talked about this spot's London-ness, its New York-y feel. (And for those of you who are about to jump down my throat for daring to compare a bit of Toronto with a bit of somewhere else, somewhere 'world-class', well, please get over it: comparisons happen. Comparisons are there to help us to identify something special about this place so that it can be preserved and celebrated, and they do not diminish Toronto any by making them.)

That said, before the meeting today I had been quietly lamenting this part of St. Nicholas Street's demise, assuming it would be going the way of the dodo. I didn't know the specifics, but years of disappointment with the way many developers have treated our built heritage in this city informed my melancholy over this spot: if the 'best' stuff often isn't saved, what hope did my bricky, grotty little laneway have of surviving?

...and then we had our meeting: David Pontarini, Gary Switzer, Anna Simone. Architect David, Developer Gary, and Interior Designer Anna were all of one mind regarding my laneway, and they all got it. On a day when UT members are rallying to save an equally character-filled corner of Church from Gloucester to Dundonald from demolition by an as yet unnamed developer, here we were being handed a gift scant blocks away.

So you'll want to see this, looking north from the opposite end of the complex:

FiveStNicCrop.jpg

That's your first snippet, nice and big though. Fall into it. Revel in the materials of the garage door, on the retail door and its frame, and all those beautiful big, sexy windows. All of that without destroying that glorious, ancient, might as well be Precambrian predominance of brick. I - I - I think I'm in love. There can be no pretense of objectivity here.

Now all I've given you above is a crop - nice and close in on the street - because that's what you're going to still see when you pass by the base of this building in a few years: it won't be totally changed, altered beyond all recognition, like either urbandreamer or I or quite possibly you expected too.

So let's take the next step from there: Why won't St. Nicholas Street look more different? Where is the tower going, anyway?

Well, it's here:

FiveStNic750.jpg

So stand back a bit, and you'll still see it: you can't hide a 45 storey tower from every vantage point!

We'll give you more about that tower, and the whole complex, soon, very soon.

Mmmmm, very sexy. See what wonderful results are possible when developers and architects actually try to work with heritage rather than against it?

And from the rendering, it's not really facadism, but one big addition in the sky. The old spaces will be probably be repurposed. Love it. Reminds me of Covent Garden.

Mmmmm, very sexy. See what wonderful results are possible when developers and architects actually try to work with heritage rather than against it?

I have many fond (and crazy) memories of Katrinas/Colbys/Club Colbys and the nearby laneways in the 80's & 90's too.
This is absolutely, well done! I also lamented losing this laneway's character south of St. Joseph Street however after seeing these renderings I couldn't be happier. I can't think of anything better than this developer could do at this point short of attempting silver or gold LEED certification.
I really liked this project from the outset, now even more. This is urban planning at it's best. Two big, enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

Last edited:

Back