Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

how's better?

How it is better, at least in my opinion is in the way the design is more playful, the shape more interesting, multiple materials on the exterior, and a nice play with surrounding buildings and older structures, with a bit more colour variation. For me I think this will be easy on the eyes, and I think this is one of the buildings I am most looking forward to seeing rise. (did not mean to make that rhyme) Not that Burano is not a nice building, Its just nice to see something of similar height nearby that isn't a green or blue glass tower.

fivej8.jpg

How it is better, at least in my opinion is in the way the design is more playful, the shape more interesting, multiple materials on the exterior, and a nice play with surrounding buildings and older structures, with a bit more colour variation. For me I think this will be easy on the eyes, and I think this is one of the buildings I am most looking forward to seeing rise. (did not mean to make that rhyme) Not that Burano is not a nice building, Its just nice to see something of similar height nearby that isn't a green or blue glass tower.

besides the outlooking, do you think is there anything special about the interior design of five? i cannot find many pics online of the lobby, hallway and the suites.:confused:

What is it about painted brick on old turn of the century buildings that looks so awful? Yonge Street is full of them, especially up near Bloor and Wellesley.

Crane has been up for a day shy of two months and it doesn't appear as though they're even close to finished the first level... I despise when people complain of slow progress (especially the never ending saga in the One Bloor thread), but this seems ridiculous.

What is it about painted brick on old turn of the century buildings that looks so awful? Yonge Street is full of them, especially up near Bloor and Wellesley.

Queen and College Streets, same thing. I was in London recently and noticed that unfortunately they do the same thing with similar building stock.

Cheap solution for extending the life of the deteriorating brick. Many parts of Europe see brick only as a superstructure building material that is meant to be covered.

Cheap solution for extending the life of the deteriorating brick. Many parts of Europe see brick only as a superstructure building material that is meant to be covered.

old painted brick is 1000X better than the most recent version of the cheap solution--the EIFS that is ruining hundreds of small early 20th century commercial facades all over the city.

some streets, especially St. Clair West, have been utterly destroyed by this vile process. it smothers and sucks the life out of any building it is applied to.

lets hope Yonge, as it gentrifies, can largely avoid this blight.

552a1068.gif

32266869.gif

5d9ac3ea.gif

There are small blocks of buildings that have been defiled like this on Yonge Street too. It makes me cringe and feel sad, at the same time.

Crane has been up for a day shy of two months and it doesn't appear as though they're even close to finished the first level... I despise when people complain of slow progress (especially the never ending saga in the One Bloor thread), but this seems ridiculous.

This project isn't moving that slow, it's about average. They just finished excavation recently.

Back