Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

FIVE did not get approved for extra floors at the C of A hearing. The matter was deferred pending discussions between the developers and local ratepayer groups.

no - there's 200 parking spaces still. read the C of A note above carefully (it's confusing i know).

what was the original number? 334? how is this building going to house only 10 visitor spots?? why did that text say 334? is that what they want to have?

and any word on increasing the number of lockers?

what was the original number? 334? how is this building going to house only 10 visitor spots?? why did that text say 334? is that what they want to have?

and any word on increasing the number of lockers?

334 was the original approval. this was reduced to 200 (inclusive of 10 visitor spots) at C of A last year. this year's C of A is simply reinforcing what was done last year. and yes, technically the height increase is not written in the bylaw yet but it is a fait accompli.

as for having "only" 10 visitor spots, that's not such a big deal many projects are getting approved with zero visitor.

Frankly I have even less confidence in city council than I do in the OMB. Think about how many of our current projects would have been harshly reduced or even refused if council had it's way. City council is too politically motivated and rarely acts for "the people".

Sorry, I can't agree with you here Big Daddy. Some projects should be denied, others should be chopped down in areas that are inappropriate for crazy 50 or 70 storey towers. I'll only speak for downtown because I don't know what goes on elsewhere but the three downtown Councillors are very sensitive to growth, scale/height of buildings, heritage issues within their Wards and improving the public realm - none of which the OMB cares or knows about as intimately as Councillors Wong-Tam, Vaughan & McConnell. The three Councillors take proposals through community and BIA consultations and work with developers on the projects, along with the team of very knowledgeable City Planners to further work within frameworks (some of which are still being developed). The OMB would rarely take any of these issues into account, which is why I'd like to see them out of Toronto's business.

The city planners are the ones who should have more power. The city council are politicians (indeed) but still have a better understanding of the intricate needs of different neighbourhoods in Toronto. Then there's the OMB, who will approve anything (which is sometimes advantageous, but often not) without any knowledge of the actual planning that goes into these areas.

The city planners are the ones who should have more power. The city council are politicians (indeed) but still have a better understanding of the intricate needs of different neighbourhoods in Toronto. Then there's the OMB, who will approve anything (which is sometimes advantageous, but often not) without any knowledge of the actual planning that goes into these areas.

At the community consultations I've been to the City Councillor, developer and City Planner responsible for the project have most always been in attendance. They, along with concerned community residents and BIA's/NA's work together finding what is most often the best solution for all parties involved which I think is fair and democratic. Running off to the OMB must come off the table.

Woops, to clarify, I meant that these city councillors, while being politicians, know more than the OMB folks, not more than the city planners. Basically what I was trying to get at was that the OMB are the bottom of the pile for me... they should not be an option and they can't possibly act in the best interest of a neighbourhood/city they are uninformed about.

Absolutely agree. The movement has begun.

Five should add addtional 10 floors to 60 stories in order to match the current new projects such as Massey tower, Casa2 and Aura along Yonge st.

I dont know...they added 5s and i think they are happy with that, if they wanted 60s, they would have asked for it right off the bat.

AG: I'll repeat my previous post from February 28th: the Application to the C of A (on Feb. 8th) for 5 extra floors was deferred by the Committee pending further community consultation.

Back