Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

If the First Parliament site is preserved, are there still objections to building 57 and 20 storeys in the area around the site?

Absolutely not! In fact, a 57 story condo could act like a high castle wall to protect the site from another American attack!

Plans are to build around the sensitive archaeological site where the first parliament buildings were built in 1798 and burned by American troops in 1812.
Absolutely not! In fact, a 57 story condo could act like a high castle wall to protect the site from another American attack!

I think that the Americans should be made to pay for the reconstruction of the First Parliament buildings. They burned them down, after all! :)

Speaking of castles, I was quite amused when I last visited old Fort York, to find several cannon pointing directly at the Cityplace towers.

Last edited:
North Distillery Gem. Trendy living in the FiPaSi Luxury Condos by The Park. Nine foot ceilings, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, historical relevance. From the low $400s.

Last edited:
^ Some seem to have the false immpression that the OMB is some kind of rubber stamping agency, which it certainly is not. This is a site with some rather complex archaeological/historic issues and the proposal is a significant departure from the current and planned urban context as well as the legislative framework guiding planning in the Province of Ontario. I can't say for certain, but I doubt the proponent would appeal the proposal as is to the OMB should the city either fail to make a decision within perscribed timelines or should the city turn the application down. The primary reason why we see a lot of 'winning' cases at the OMB is that developers typically don't waste money appealing applications that are a significant departure from the planning framework that guides decisions.

Last edited:
I understand it all Mike..but there are now projects planned for Sherbourne/Front (42 and 34 Floors), The Distillery is a go with three condo towers of 40, 35, 32 floors, Bayfront village and Parkside condos are just south ..What makes anyone think that it cant happen here, when truthfully the city has done nothing about purchasing the land, let alone mentioning any plans for future squares. Its a vision from a lot of dreamers.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I'm afraid I'd have to agree. The track record in Toronto just isn't great. A condo will probably get built that includes a 'park' that may contain some Douglas Coupland offering. You know, a larger than life ashtray with the scales of justice sitting in it or something.

You know, a larger than life ashtray with the scales of justice sitting in it or something.

Oh did he make a monument to Réné Lévesque?

MODS: Developer -- "PNF HOLDINGS/BRL Realty LTD."

Site of first parliament a development in debate

It's not what you see at the southwest corner of Front and Parliament that matters, but what you can't. Today, it's home to a car wash, a truck rental company and a former car dealership. But 200 years ago, it was the location of Upper Canada's first parliament buildings.

During the War of 1812, the buildings were burnt to the ground by American forces. In retaliation, British troops torched the White House in Washington. After that, a jail was built on site, and then a series of industrial structures.

Aside from the obvious question of how a historic site came to be paved over, now there's concern about the future of the property. After decades of public and private indifference, the location may suddenly be on the verge of redevelopment. The question now is: What's next?

More....http://www.thestar.com/article/956665--hume-site-of-first-parliament-a-development-in-debate

Back