Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

In an attempt to bring this thread back to life, I am quoting a post that Mike in TO made back on March 18. Given the sudden rash of ~57-storey proposals east of Yonge, could this one actually go ahead at its proposed height? I have to say that I rather like it -- not quite as good as 40 Bond, but far superior to 501 Yonge.

A few details:

• 271 Front Inc. submitted a rezoning application in February
  • Two towers of 20 and 57 storeys
  • Each with a base of 6-to-7-storeys
  • 702 residential units
  • Plans are to build around the sensitive archaeological site where the first parliament buildings were built in 1798 and burned by American troops in 1812.
  • Archaeological digs confirm some foundations and possible walls of the original buildings lie below the surface.
  • Second parliament was built on site in 1819, but that burned down five years later
  • City and Province own other portions of first parliament site
  • A commemorative or interpretive open space is contemplated as part of the proposal
  • A staff report is anticipate to the TEYCC in Q2-2011 with respect to rezoning the parliament site from reinvestment to parks

A low-res rendering from NRU:

5537169551_86999c17f8_o.jpg

I really like the design of this one, too bad it's where it is.

Had this been proposed for 501 Yonge, I think we'd all be very satisfied.

This is a historically significant site and should be treated as such.

Then it is fortunate that this plan treats it as such. Please note that the actual first Parliament site is being left alone, and in fact may be converted from its current use as a Budget Rent-a-Car business to an interpretive park -- and I expect that the City may well extract funding for an actual museum / interpretive centre of some sort in exchange for density.

The Ontario Heritage Trust is going to be making an announcement at the First Parliament Site on June 8. It is unclear what they will say but they are probably going to announce that the now-empty Porsche building (which they own) will be used as a display area for "heritage stuff' in the interim. There are also apparently negotions going on about a land swap whereby the car-wash quadrant owner will get the land on the east side of Parliament now occupied by the Toronto Public Library service centre.

Does anybody have an estimate of how much it would cost to reconstruct the first Parliament structure? Would the total cost (or a large portion of it) be small enough to be covered by the Section 37 charges in exchange for allowing this project to go ahead at the proposed height and density?

If so, I would be all for this project.

Then it is fortunate that this plan treats it as such. Please note that the actual first Parliament site is being left alone, and in fact may be converted from its current use as a Budget Rent-a-Car business to an interpretive park -- and I expect that the City may well extract funding for an actual museum / interpretive centre of some sort in exchange for density.

Ah I see it now, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

This site has been ignored for years. If this development comes with the preservation of the ruins in a park and maybe even a mini Pointe-à-Callière, I'd be quite satisfied. It's hard to tell from that small rendering, but the building looks pretty good too.

If that greenspace in the rendering is intended to represent the historic/park component of the scheme then I'd say that plan is a complete failure. The 'park' feels more like an amenity space to the tower, and cowers at its feet in a very uncomfortable way. It has no dignity. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another bit of crass tokenism (like so much 'historic conservation in this city) instead of a genuine homage to the cities past.

"Archaeological digs confirm some foundations and possible walls of the original buildings lie below the surface."

It would be great if they excavate the walls and perhaps include a small interpretive centre/ museum. Perhaps the museum could take on the form, or architectural elements, of the original building? Personally I think this nationally significant site deserves far more than a small park with token statue.

I echo the sentiments of the last two posters, though i hold out little hope that anything inspiring will happen at this important site. A condo green space with a historic plaque is likely all that will result.

It's very difficult to tell from that tiny rendering, but I actually think that the park space looks reasonably decent-sized and more than just a standard condo amenity.

It's very difficult to tell from that tiny rendering, but I actually think that the park space looks reasonably decent-sized and more than just a standard condo amenity.

It's not the size of the park, it's the fact that it is cowering in the corner under a very tall structure.

These are not the conditions that result in good public spaces.

Back