Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Whether it be glass or something else, they do have an opportunity to decide to either re-clad in white only - to preserve the existing look - or consider implementing some variation in color or pattern to introduce a different look.

I like the existing building enough as is and think it's a well known landmark that doesn't need change - but the other side of me is intrigued with the idea of such a large structure either getting a modest facelift, or potentially an exciting makeover. How often do buildings of this size get re-clad at all, let alone change their skin entirely? It would attract worldwide attention.

I started to play around a little in Photoshop to see what some very simple changes in color could do, should the building not remain entirely white.

The left and middle images show a gradient pattern where the new spandrel glass changes in shade as it progresses up/down the building. I left the corners white to help define the shape, though they could change just as easily. On the right is *not* a serious suggestion, but a quick visual to demonstrate how patterns could be applies by mixing in alternate glass colors.

It was previously suggested that vertical lines might look good and I tried that, but have to say it looked quite dreary. Even more "plain box" than the current horizontal lines give it.

Attachments

• bmo-messaround.jpg
    bmo-messaround.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 575
It's a noob question, I'm afraid, but what is this "aluminum composite" of which you speak?

Aluminum granules in resin? Aluminum laminated with something else? An aluminum alloy of some sort?

It's a noob question, I'm afraid, but what is this "aluminum composite" of which you speak?

Aluminum granules in resin? Aluminum laminated with something else? An aluminum alloy of some sort?
In he simplest terms, it's a thin aluminum veneer laminated to the outside of a polyethylene core. It's a very lightweight, stable material that comes in many finishes, is easy to work with and lasts a very long time.

Aluminum-composite-panel-manufacturer-A1806f.jpg

683832.jpg

Aluminium-Composite-Panel.jpg

How about milky or frosted glass panels, back lit with RGB LEDs, each panel would be a pixel, allowing for colour change of all or parts of the building, or a low res video display.

How about milky or frosted glass panels, back lit with RGB LEDs, each panel would be a pixel, allowing for colour change of all or parts of the building, or a low res video display.
Being an LED guy I can't tell you how much I'd love to see that done, but the cost would be astronomical considering the square footage, as well as power consumption. It could also look incredibly tacky if the programs are not selected properly and/or used to display messages of any kind.

Having each floor as an addressable section (as opposed to pixels) would be cheaper and still allow some flowing color changes - ideally just transitions between set colors/patterns that aren't continually animated - but I don't think it would be a 'tasteful' idea in general. A lot of people think the CN Tower (or Eiffel Tower) lights are on the, um, obscene side already - I can only imagine how garish this would look.

This is a little closer to what I was thinking:

attachment.php

Attachments

• bmo-messaround2.jpg
    bmo-messaround2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 418
Having each floor as an addressable section (as opposed to pixels) would be cheaper and still allow some flowing color changes

As another "LED guy", there woudl still need to be an RGB illuminator per panel, the only difference between having on a per floor basis or per panel basis would be the number of control channels used.
Multiple DMX512 universes could be used.

A lot of people think the CN Tower (or Eiffel Tower) lights are on the, um, obscene side already

...and there are many other who like them.

As another "LED guy", there woudl still need to be an RGB illuminator per panel, the only difference between having on a per floor basis or per panel basis would be the number of control channels used.
Multiple DMX512 universes could be used.
Yes and no. There would be savings as you mention in the size of the control system (and # of addresses req'd), but if you don't need individual addressing on each panel, you can create more cost effective fixtures that essentially operate as dummies/slaves, with no on-board control components. The Power/Data supply does all the work and outputs the same commands to all dummy/slave fixtures.

If we built a system this large, the cost difference could be up to 20%, which is significant when the job would be in the millions.

...and there are many other who like them.
Hey - I'm one of them, too - but do cringe at some of the animations they use on the tower. It gets a little too flashy-blinky for my liking. Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should.

you can create more cost effective fixtures that essentially operate as dummies/slaves, with no on-board control components.

Power and control components add very little to the cost. 3 MOSFETS and a PIC 16F688 would cost under $5.00. I agree athat in a very large project this would add significantly to the cost...but still, I'd love to see a stock ticker scrolling up the building, or a canadian flag...for special occasions.

Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should.

Agreed, like spandex, just because it fits, doesn't mean you should wear it.

Last edited:
But will it run Linux?

Or will we be treated to an 80-floor Blue Screen of Death?

we dont need to have LED light shows on every building. I think the CN Tower and RBC is enough for now.

this picture was posted by Drum118 on the "Republic of Yonge and Eglinton" thread. White spandrel panels are being used as a cladding here. I wonder if we can expect a similar look for FCP?

IMG_sept-09-09-0141.jpg

Not so sure I like that look.

I don't think you will need to worry. Glass used on residential projects is different than the glass used on commercial projects. We will see something of better quality, no doubt.

Looks like FCP will take away all the attention from new construction going on in the city for a little while! Im more excited about this than anything else.

Doubt that mullions would be so heavy on FCP. Probably more of a neo-Vitrolite/Yonge-Subway look...

Back