Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

I'd like to see green glass here--I mean like the stuff on the MLS under construction, only a grass green colour.

Going to have Trump fill that void I think.

st_museum2_f.jpg

Who knows, white glass could actually turn out cool

From my post in the Buildings & Archicture section

The manger I spoke to a FCP pointed out that the white shaded glass is mainly to no impact the skyline too significantly. Any change in color and the Toronto skyline would be impacted in a very distinct way.

This seems logical to me - The image of downtown toronto for tourism sake alone would be unnecesarily altered. I know there are many reasons to re-clad in a different color, but these would be artistic in nature, while the decision to remain white for this building has a practical reason.

is there any precedent for this procedure? have there been instances in other cities where towers' have changed their facades from stone to glass?

i still hope they keep the marble, but hey, if i ran the city, every nskyscraper would look like nyc deco.

Last edited:
White glass gets dirty so easily. Why not black glass?

Its not like FCP is going to be running through muddy fields, or have kids spilling their fruit punch on it. The rain will be able to wash away any dust that sticks to the glass. It will be much easier to clean than the marble currently cladding it.

Its not like FCP is going to be running through muddy fields, or have kids spilling their fruit punch on it. The rain will be able to wash away any dust that sticks to the glass. It will be much easier to clean than the marble currently cladding it.

isn't there some special glass that repels dirt?

Indeed there is. It doesn't really repel the dirt. It just makes it easier for the rain to wash it all away.

ok, that's another type then. i was thinking of something i saw on the discovery channel, a special type of glass that repels dust through an electrical charge. i think they are going to use it on some solar panels.

The manger I spoke to a FCP pointed out that the white shaded glass is mainly to no impact the skyline too significantly. Any change in color and the Toronto skyline would be impacted in a very distinct way.

This seems logical to me - The image of downtown toronto for tourism sake alone would be unnecesarily altered. I know there are many reasons to re-clad in a different color, but these would be artistic in nature, while the decision to remain white for this building has a practical reason.

The colour of the facade on one of Toronto buildings should not matter to tourists coming into Toronto.

And does anyone really give a hoot as to what colour 'the skyline' is? Can anyone articulate why such would matter in any way whatsoever?

Back