Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

The entire building is disappointing. It looks like a condo you'd see in Scarborough.

That's not fair... When it's clearly modern Hospital architecture. If I showed this picture to someone in Winnipeg and said it was the new wing at Princess Margaret Hospital, they wouldn't blink an eye and they would believe me.

LightboxOpenP1170870.jpg

(Courtest interchange42)

I don't truly believe it looks like something out of Scarborough. I just think it's a really ugly building, much like most Scarborugh. You'd think that with all the money poured into this and for what it represents that it would have a little more flair. The podium seems really messy and awkward and the tower is as plain as a Wonderbread sandwich.

Lightbox King Street Presence & the Glow Up Top

[video=youtube;Ogeb6nq9J9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogeb6nq9J9Y[/video]

I'm not sure why the roof lighting would look silly. The glowing portion looks like a screen. Why have a slot unless you are going to differentiate the expressions of the sections on the roof?

Last edited:
Urban Toronto’s exploration of TIFF Bell Lightbox continues inside the extensive facility, going up, down, and around the different levels, into spaces large and small.

Text by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

LightboxP1170770.jpg

LightboxP1170425.jpg

LightboxP1170765.jpg

A view across the massive public atrium, which connects the three principal levels of TIFF Bell Lightbox – the ground floor, containing the box office, gift shop, and main exhibition hall; the Promenade level, with three movie theatres; and the learning floor, with two movie theatres and three RBC Learning Studios.

LightboxP1170684.jpg

Master Control for all screens and film installations throughout the complex.

LightboxP1170710.jpg

Stair leading to the balcony of the 550-seat Cinema One, which is 3D-capable and has an orchestra pit for live performances.

LightboxP1170753.jpg

A view inside Cinema One while still under construction. The world-premiere of Werner Herzog’s Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010) inaugurated the 3D projection system at TIFF Bell Lightbox.

LightboxCinema1750pano.jpg

Cinema Two with approximately 400 seats. All five movie theatres at TIFF Bell Lightbox are completely sound-neutral resulting from their special box-in-box construction. Theatre seats furnished by Quinette Gallay provide extra comfort.

LightboxP1170750.jpg

Cinema Two

LightboxP1170741.jpg

The more intimate and experimental Cinema Four showcasing Atom Egoyan’s installation 8 1/2 Screens.

LightboxP1170695.jpg

LightboxP1170702.jpg

8 1/2 Screens is inspired by Fellini’s seminal film 8 ½.

LightboxP1170689.jpg

Cinema Five, currently featuring James Andean and François Xavier Saint-Pierre’s installation E-100, contains 80 seats on moveable risers for easy reconfiguration.

LightboxP1170707.jpg

Both 8 1/2 Screens and E-100 play continuously until October 3, for free. Both are worth your time.

One of three RBC Learning Studios at TIFF Bell Lightbox showing the Toronto-premiere of Ming Wong’s In Love for the Mood (2009) and Angst Essen/Eat Fear (2008).

LightboxP1170714.jpg

Important artefacts from TIFF’s history are on view in the Canadian Film Gallery at the Film Reference Library on the fourth floor of TIFF Bell Lightbox.

LightboxP1170465.jpg

Looking across the Canadian Film Gallery at the Film Reference Library. A tribute to Brian Linehan is currently on display in an additional small gallery at the back of the library. This will be followed by a tribute to Toronto-born Mary Pickford at the end of the year.

LightboxP1170462.jpg

A panoramic view of the three-storey public atrium at TIFF Bell Lightbox.

LightboxLobby2ndSEpano.jpg

LightboxLobbyNEpano.jpg

The box office with six display stations to welcome and engage visitors.

LightboxP1170408.jpg

LightboxP1170424.jpg

LightboxP1170859.jpg

The Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film of 2004 for Les Invasions barbares, which concludes this instalment on TIFF Bell Lightbox. Stay tuned for more tomorrow!

LightboxP1170682.jpg

Last edited:
Urban Toronto’s extensive coverage of TIFF Bell Lightbox winds down at the BlackBerry Lounge and LUMA restaurant by Oliver & Bonacini on the second floor and O & B Canteen at street-level. All designed by KPMB Architects, these high-profile and highly-permeable gathering places add extra buzz and excitement to TIFF’s exceptional, new cinematic facility.

Text by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

The BlackBerry Lounge offers drinks, light dining, and plenty of opportunities to mingle and hobnob.

LightboxP1170734.jpg

One of many BlackBerry charging stations inside the BlackBerry Lounge.

LightboxP1170731.jpg

The wrap-around bar at the BlackBerry Lounge.

LightboxP1170729.jpg

LightboxP1170727.jpg

Both the BlackBerry Lounge and adjoining LUMA restaurant afford excellent, floor-to-ceiling views over King St.

LightboxP1170732.jpg

LUMA delivers upscale dining courtesy of Executive Chef Jason Bangerter.

LightboxP1170720.jpg

The restaurant’s fine-dining experience is complimented in the rich woods, leather, and stone of its interior design.

LightboxP1170721.jpg

O & B partners Peter Oliver and Michael Bonacini.

LightboxP1170725.jpg

O & B Canteen at King St W and John St offers casual, all-day dining and take-away.

LightboxP1170936.jpg

O & B Canteen’s see-and-be-seen locale has proven quite popular with Toronto restaurant-goers.

LightboxP1170933.jpg

And that marks the end of our special feature on the opening of TIFF Bell Lightbox, a truly groundbreaking cultural institution that brings new dimension to this city’s ever-burgeoning arts and culture scene. Please be sure to watch for more Urban Toronto reports on city-changing projects in the weeks ahead.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the photos.

I had a chance today to walk through the building and if one has not already done so, I highly recommend it: the place is open to all, including some of the cinemas, and its a great place to explore.

I was extremely impressed with the building. It was this great mix of the neo-modern aesthetic meets the multi-plex. At times, and in spots, this building was more exciting than MOMA (a great example of the best of the neo-modern movement). Even the large expanses of glass overlooking older buildings across the street, reminded me of the best of MOMA.

Considering the limited budget, they did an exceptional job. The colours and materials all worked (but yes, the walls could use another coat of paint and you could tell many spots were rushed for the opening).

Architecture aside, this is a huge building to program (and to pay for). With so many labs, gallery space, cinemas, libraries and office space, I am not sure how this place is going to sustain itself (I cannot emphasis enough that the complex is huge) but I am sure they had some business plan in mind and I wish them all the luck. This has the potential to be a landmark and a constantly active cultural institution, which will really leave a impact on the city (and certainly the immediate area).

Nice post, Alkay.

I think some people are so obsessed with the "failures" of the Lightbox as a postcard image that they forget that the whole thing hangs or falls on how good it works as a centre for film and for people-gathering. Clearly, the folks at tiff have put a lot of hard work and love into this building, and it shows. So what if we can't impress people from New York or London with pictures of the exterior? Those people don't matter. We, the Torontonians who are using it, do.

I agree. That being said, I think it looks just fine from the outside and the claim that it looks like a building "from Scarborough" is absurd. I would love to know where the look-alike buildings from Scarborough are.

We the critique might not be that impressed (partly because we have almost ODed on KPMB), but there are certainly plenty calling from abroad who does - including those from Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/chi-100913-toronto-bell-lightbox,0,2478115.column
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...910-talking-pictures-20100910,0,2839832.story

Something else to keep in mind - the MoMA expansion by Yoshio Taniguchi cost $450M US for the building alone.

AoD

PS: new pics at the KPMB site:

http://www.kpmb.ca/index.asp?navid=30&fid1=&fid2=15&fid3=&minyearx=&maxyearx=

Last edited:
Hey interchange42, would you by chance remember what the opening hours for the Lightbox are (with respect to the exhibits, restaurants, etc.). I am seeing a TIFF flick there at 9:30pm and want to know if the exhibits will still be open at around 9pm so I can take a quick peek before my movie starts.

The Gallery, and Atom Egoyan's 8 1/2 Screens is open until 10 PM. Cinema 5 with the soundtrack installation closes at different times on different days. If you can get down there by 8:30, or even earlier, so much the better, as your cinema will likely go in at 9. With essentially everything selling out, you want to leave enough time to get good seats. Here's hoping your film's a good one! The clear majority of mine this fall - 19 so far - have been terrific (and all very different).

We the critique might not be that impressed (partly because we have almost ODed on KPMB), but there are certainly plenty calling from abroad who does - including those from Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/chi-100913-toronto-bell-lightbox,0,2478115.column
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...910-talking-pictures-20100910,0,2839832.story

http://www.kpmb.ca/index.asp?navid=30&fid1=&fid2=15&fid3=&minyearx=&maxyearx=

Here is an article from the New York Times - http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/toronto-film-festival-heads-downtown/ - i dont think they like us too much but there was virtually no mention of the TIFF in the L.A. Times.

Back