Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

Are those townhouses going up to Adelaide?

If so, the new big blank wall facing them from 455 Adelaide will be preserved for future generations.

Also, it's hard to believe they'd preserve the current box addition in the front.

It's a small picture, but yes, the box front seems to be staying. You can see, however, that there are modifications to it in the plan. What those will look like ultimately is hard to say.

In regards to the townhouses running up towards Adelaide: check the West Elevation plan included in Cabeman's post again and you will see that they are surmounted by another seven or eight floors of flats, and that the blank west wall of 455 Adelaide will indeed be hidden away. The City just don't allow plans for projects like this without thinking of things like that these days.

Any former commerical/industrial site that is being converted for institutional or residential use requires full enviro testing and (if necessary) remediation to residential standards. Based on my vague knowledge of enviro risks, a gas station site will typically pose problems to groundwater but not so much to the air quality of a new building on the same site. It is apparently the former industrial sites (battery factories, paint factories, metal factories) that require complete soil removal.

Then again, there are many risks that the current enviro laws don't account for.

As an aside, I have heard that sites like Windermere by the Lake and its nearby townhouses were the site of a former metalworks factory and were ridiculously contaminated and were (apparently) successfully remediated. If 80 years of arsenic can be made liveable, a gas station can't be much of a challenge.

Any former commerical/industrial site that is being converted for institutional or residential use requires full enviro testing and (if necessary) remediation to residential standards. Based on my vague knowledge of enviro risks, a gas station site will typically pose problems to groundwater but not so much to the air quality of a new building on the same site. It is apparently the former industrial sites (battery factories, paint factories, metal factories) that require complete soil removal.

Then again, there are many risks that the current enviro laws don't account for.

As an aside, I have heard that sites like Windermere by the Lake and its nearby townhouses were the site of a former metalworks factory and were ridiculously contaminated and were (apparently) successfully remediated. If 80 years of arsenic can be made liveable, a gas station can't be much of a challenge.

Remediation is always an option but with the plethora of housing options available in today's marketplace why on earth would anyone chose to risk it? Surely not because the brain trust that brought us Walkerton gives it the thumbs up!

Nice project. I like how it restores this old building. I didn't even know it was there and I pass by every day. The boxy addition on street level really obscured the fact that this gorgeous building was behind it.

People buying into this condo should know however, that directly next door is Century Room which with its very popular Tuesday nights, loud back patio and sidewalk clogging lineups.

People buying into this condo should know however, that directly next door is Century Room which with its very popular Tuesday nights, loud back patio and sidewalk clogging lineups.

Not for long after this gets built! After all, it is in Adam Vaughan's ward, isn't it? No anti-nightlife NIMBY cause too ridiculous!

What the heck does Walkerton have to do with soil remdiation?

Just an extreme example to illustrate the incompetency of various governmental agencies when dealing with matters of contamination. Again, I have absolutely no knowledge that there is contamination on this site at all, and I am not for 1 second suggesting that there is any. However, if I were in the market for an apartment I would probably choose to live somewhere other than the location of a former service station. Is that not just common sense?

They know how to test for pretty much everything these days. If the soil tests clean once the remediation is done, well, they build. If it's not, no building.

Unless you're worried about poltergeists emanating from the all-but-forgotten first nations burial ground another foot below... then maybe it's best not to buy here.

Funny, in another thread you post in, you talk about how the various governmental agencies are nothing but efficient do gooders...which is it?

Did I? If I recall correctly what I did was label you an extremist. Now I am supplementing my basket of adjectives for you and labeling you a stalker!

They know how to test for pretty much everything these days. If the soil tests clean once the remediation is done, well, they build. If it's not, no building.

Unless you're worried about poltergeists emanating from the all-but-forgotten first nations burial ground another foot below... then maybe it's best not to buy here.

Suppose you're right 42. Personally I'd avoid unless the price point was so compelling. Certain things are just not worth chancing in my opinion.

Back