Vaughan Expo City: Expo 1,2, & Nord | ?m | 38s | Cortel Group | AJT Architects

I'd wager that VCC does not end up with septuplets, but ends up with something that looks more like a family reunion.

A family strongly featuring inbreeding, mind you.

At least Vaughan's downtown isn't built around a mall, which means it automatically is starting out from a slightly better position. But why oh why didn't they build their city hall there?:confused: Whoever thought that's a good idea is a waste of skin.

It's like splitting up the capital: the administrative bits (The Hague) go to quiet, sober, Maple, while the fun, flashy, touristy bits (Amsterdam) go to VCC.

And while VCC does not exactly have a Square One, there are so many big box malls nearby, it's just the Vaughan equivalent of the same.

But there's big box stores within spitting distance of Toronto's city hall...nearby is not the same as in the middle of.

yeahbut they're not surrounding by parking lots. (you mean the Cdn Tire etc. at the Eaton Centre, rrrrright?)

In regards to 7 towers exactly the same, well, developers often proposed multi-component complexes where each building mirrors the others, but the time it takes to build out these plans tends to change them. Monarch's plan for the Waterview complex down on Etobicoke's waterfront was proposed as a mirror image on either side of a central boulevard, but that plan has since morphed and the latest phases now reflect a more current 'Vegas' approach to condo architecture. I'd wager that VCC does not end up with septuplets, but ends up with something that looks more like a family reunion.

Also note, in this light, the Tridel cluster at Six Points...

There is no such thing as a big box mall.

So sorry. I meant big box suburban treeless plane of asphalt, precast, and backlit signs.

I wonder where this project stands now ? perhaps it may go to market in the next 'wave' when the economy improves ~ :)

7 City Centre (VCC, 2x 35 + 3x 34s, Kirkor)

City Planning Staff Report (May 2008)

7CityCentre_sp.jpg

great find marcus_a_j ..... thanks !

It's like splitting up the capital: the administrative bits (The Hague) go to quiet, sober, Maple, while the fun, flashy, touristy bits (Amsterdam) go to VCC.

And while VCC does not exactly have a Square One, there are so many big box malls nearby, it's just the Vaughan equivalent of the same.

I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Vaughan and, man, did I have a good time. If you ever go, i42, I rented a great little apartment in a 16th century house on a canal just steps from Rowntree Dairy road. The landlords, an artist couple in their late 20s, told me exactly the same thing: Maple is the staid, government town while Vaughan Corporate Centre has all the culture and the great mercantile hustle and bustle.

These guys give the architectural profession a reason to be proud. Stand up architects, and embrace your inner Kirkor. Doesn't that feel good? Embrace your full potential design potential of Kirkor. You know, I once read that Frank Gehry, arguably one of the worlds most notable architects, owes his status to Kirkor - and that fact is not hard to believe, especially when you look at this masterpiece.

One such tower poised effortlessly but with such prowess, standing sentry over the burgeoning metropolis of Vaughn was not enough. No, 6 identical towers are what makes this piece a masterpiece, maybe even a 'gesamtwerk' . Let us bask in your glory Kirkor, for we are not worthy as architects to live up to thine name.

p5

I really don't like the fact that these are four identical towers, other then height but the podiums seem like a nice touch. Although it's hard to tell from the rendering. We'll have to wait and see.

Back