Toronto Exhibit Residences | 99.97m | 32s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Hmmm ... sounds interesting, about 5 units per level, makes for nice corner units.

Will there be above-ground parking or no parking at all?
Even though it is DT, isn't there something in the by-laws that require there to be a minimum of parking spots?

from my post on page 4:

"Huge beams will go across the main floor of the building over the subway in order to support the weight of the 7-8 stories of above ground parking which will be on the backside of the lot facing onto the TPA parking lot. If I remember correctly, this part of the main floor will be partially useless."

Also, this building will be covered at the ward 20 meeting next Monday at the Senator Croll Apartment building at 6 pm. Perhaps we'll see a render?

Say what you want, but at the end of the day they own the best three sites in the city.
And they were smart enough ( I think they soo the markter sliding) with Emerald Park and sell 75-80% of all the units.
And now they are going to zone this site and they will probably hold it till market turns.

thanks for clarifying Mike ... good to know the 'real' facts about Bazis

From Adam Vaughan's Newletter:

Earlier this year, City Council agreed to sell the property on 192 Bloor Street. This property has now become part of a coordinated development plan that includes the properties from 192 – 200 Bloor Street West. The developer is Bazis International and they have engaged Roy Varacalli as the architect for the project.

The community expressed concerns expressed were about parking, a mid-block connection, pedestrian weather protection from winds – canopy etc., shadowing, affordable units and family units to be reserved, traffic especially at Prince Arthur and Bedford, the potential for green roof and less mechanical equipment on roof, street level green space and opportunities for professional and medical offices in the lower floors.

This project is in the early stages and a formal application for this site has not been submitted to the City for this project. Future meetings will be held with the Annex Residents Association and the community as this proposal evolves.

The initial discussions regarding the proposal are for a 32 floor tower with approximately 150-170 units. An eight storey podium would include a large outdoor rooftop garden and no underground parking will be provided due to the subway running under the property.

MODs ... is it appropriate to update?

"Exhibit (192-200 Bloor St W, Bazis, 32s, Varacalli)"

Mike,

Where are you getting your figures on Emerald from Baker, Bazis or someone else?

No disrespect to Mike, but I don't think he has all the latest facts. In regards the sales at Emerald Park or several design alternatives for Exhibit.

No disrespect to Mike, but I don't think he has all the latest facts. In regards the sales at Emerald Park or several design alternatives for Exhibit.

contrary to your view, I think Mike is a great source of info whom seems very knowledgable on various matters and quite updated as things happen, including posts such as this with details no one else has reported on:

The initial discussions regarding the proposal are for a 32 floor tower with approximately 150-170 units. An eight storey podium would include a large outdoor rooftop garden and no underground parking will be provided due to the subway running under the property.

All I said is that there a severl different designs which developer is looking at.
Above ground parking is just one of them.

The development concept is still at the pre-application stage and a variety of options are being examined (as Bob alluded to). The parking situation or actual height of the proposal is still very fluid at this point.

Would Bazis build something lower than 100m?

I got the impression that the height was pretty much a done deal, since the max height was negotiated in the deal for the land.

Mike is right.

The plans are now to have a elevator parking (!?) on the southside of the site with a parking courtyard on the northside. It is an incredibly difficult site to work with.

Much work is being done to create a new laneway behind the property with the major assistance of the Toronto Parking Authority.

No renders yet, but it looks like the screens are being looked at being used on the balconies, which I believe Varacalli used in his plans for 1 Bloor E.

He also said that he is approaching this very carefully, as the building will be across from the ROM and sees it as "art on Bloor".

The plan is to submit an application to the city in about 3 weeks.

Update:

• The parking situation has changed yet again. Bazis has now found a solution to the challenges with respect the the Bloor subway. They are considering constructing an elevator that would take the cars down to parking which would eliminate the need for ramps which frees up a lot of space (although this sounds like a rather expensive solution), this would either eliminate or greatly reduce the requirement for above grade parking;
  • Bazis is working with the city and neighbours regarding a new pedstrian walkway between their proposed structure and the structure to the immediate west. However this will require access for parking through the TPA parking lot to the north. Apparently negotiations with the TPA are underway.

Update:

• The parking situation has changed yet again. Bazis has now found a solution to the challenges with respect the the Bloor subway. They are considering constructing an elevator that would take the cars down to parking which would eliminate the need for ramps which frees up a lot of space (although this sounds like a rather expensive solution), this would either eliminate or greatly reduce the requirement for above grade parking;
  • Bazis is working with the city and neighbours regarding a new pedstrian walkway between their proposed structure and the structure to the immediate west. However this will require access for parking through the TPA parking lot to the north. Apparently negotiations with the TPA are underway.

I believe similar parking is done at a building on Temperance between Richmond/Adelaide.

In the long run, it may be more cost effective for the developer since more floors can be sold as residential than devoted to parking I guess. However, I'm sure maintenance fees may cost more for residents.

BTW, isn't a similar method being done for Trump Tower?

102 Bloor West just down the street, uses an elevator. It opens up onto Critchley Lane and just looks like a large freight elevator. I can't see it being overly expensive but it must be hellish when they break down.

Back