Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

This is counter productive, if the entire system is being converted to presto reading gates, then why are they installing the old system on brand new entrances.

Isn't the tunnel sharing an entrance with Hullmark Centre? I'd assume that it'll get the new fare gates sometime in early 2017.

Hullmark has 2 entrances not connected to each other outside of the gates. One has presto, one does not.

Seen at finch station
Nice. That airport bus used to originate from GO Bus YorkMills terminal. Much more convenient that it comes from Finch now!

This is counter productive, if the entire system is being converted to presto reading gates, then why are they installing the old system on brand new entrances.
It's a new tunnel, not new gates. The new tunnel leads to the original mid-70's gates, or whenever these gates were made.

Construction on Tim Hortons is behind schedule although progress continues to made, it does not appear that there will be an opening for the next couple of weeks. I would not be surprised if the opening is deferred to Jan 2017. Below are some photos.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 611
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 616
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 581
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 617
So did the TTC tunnel open today?

Today's opening of EmeraldPark TTC entrance and pedestrian tunnel was what Bazis was promising to the TTC, City and Councillor last Friday,.... Come on, when has Bazis ever delivered on time - even revised late delivery??? It's pathetic, they can't even plan 3 business days out! So Bazis messed up on something between Friday's email and today,.... either the fire testing verification was faulty or didn't pass City Inspection for occupancy permit or documents didn't arrive or whatever "new issues" that always pop up when dealing with Bazis - I'm betting on the later and at this point, I'm still betting on my February opening day prediction,..... but if you really want to know, call (416) 471-0912
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-140#post-1170444

What's really telling is,.... instead of the green hoarding being removed this morning as tentatively scheduled,.... the TTC put up new signage with no specific opening date and basically saying the TTC gives up, don't bother the TTC, it's EmeraldPark's responsibility - anyways, another sign one for my collection.

The holes in the ceiling isn't a good sign either,....
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG

BTW, I really love the TTC's humour,.... stating "The Poyntz underpass is being constructed by EmeraldPark (2010) Inc." - it sort sounds like it's been closed since 2010 for construction,... which is pretty close since it's been 30 months already. 2010 is year Bazis got CityPlanning approvals and construction started the following year,.... and 2010 is also the name of a "science fiction" space movie from the 1980's - which would apply here.

Mint,.... until new Presto access is available at this entrance,.... only Presto options at Sheppard-Yonge TTC subway station is to use HullmarkCentre NorthTower entrance (via HullmarkCentre P1 & P2 parking levels if you want to stay indoors for that direct-access feel from EmeraldPark) or SheppardCentre main TTC entrance.

Mint, over time, I'd be interested in whether EmeraldPark residents like yourself, actually use EmeraldPark mall, P1 or P2 linkage to access the EmeraldPark underground pedestrian tunnel to TTC Sheppard south (Poyntz/Anndale) subway entrance,...
- P1 seems to be a death trap due to all the cars traffic
- P2 is a bit safer, still noisy but minimize elevator rides and stair climbing for residents
- Mall would require more elevator/stairs and likely walking distance but cleaner and safer not to deal with underground parking traffic.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 700
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    850.6 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
I'll probably give up my Presto card to use the EP entrance. I mostly just want to be able to get to work without dredging through rain and snow.

In any case, I called the number on the sign and it's apparently the personal/business number of someone at Bazis which on one hand is hilarious and on the other hand somewhat unprofessional by TTC (yeah, I get the irony of this when it's dealing with Bazis). In any case, the guy seemed apologetic about the situation and says there's a walkthrough scheduled for Friday to get the tunnel opened... Apparently, he's gotten a ton of angry callers since the sign went up (lol).

Last edited:
In any case, I called the number on the sign and it's apparently the personal/business number of someone at Bazis which on one hand is hilarious and on the other hand somewhat unprofessional by TTC (yeah, I get the irony of this when it's dealing with Bazis). In any case, the guy seemed apologetic about the situation and says there's a walkthrough scheduled for Friday to get the tunnel opened... Apparently, he's gotten a ton of angry callers since the sign went up (lol).

At this point, I don't think it's unprofessional of the TTC and it does show how pissed off they are,.... this is a 9-month project that Bazis dragged on for 30-months already. And in that 21 months of delays, a lot of folks did what they always did and blame the TTC!,... but it was Bazis responsibility to build the underground pedestrian tunnel!

That posted number means,.... Right now, there's a lot of people at the TTC, CityPlanning, city staff, Councillor's office and area ratepayers groups who are absolutely livid with this situation,... and are demanding changes so developers like Bazis can't screw over the TTC, City and citizens of Toronto again.

A simple 9-month project that Bazis stretched to a 30-month stalling game,..... it's unbelievable that public realm space like access to a highly utilized TTC subway entrance is held hostage by a developer who can't be bothered to send anyone over to complete the work they're responsible for,... clearly city regulations and penalties needs to be updated to make irresponsible developers like Bazis held more accountable.

The EmeraldPark project only replaced an old style curb-side TTC street-level stair access that goes down one level (to TTC automatic turnstile area) with a direct connection via an underground pedestrian tunnel to EmeraldPark (mainly under pedestrian sidewalk space that they already dug up for EmeraldPark building construction),... EmeraldPark Pedestian Tunnel as posted by LilianChan - here you can clearly see where the old style curb-side TTC street-level stairs are relative to the pedestrian tunnel
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-126#post-1133720
EmeraldPark_PedestrianTunnel.jpg

Anyways, possible solutions for the City to deal with future development,.... is for only City's contractors do all public realm work (pedestrian sidewalks, TTC entrances, public squares, etc,...) at the developer's cost (full payment required prior to Building Permit issued) - currently developer hire their own contractors to do this public realm work as required by the City,... but quality at EmeraldPark is terrible - a quarter of all pedestrian sidewalk panels on the City's right-of-way property along Bogert Ave and Beecroft Ave has already been replaced, they're only about 1.5 years old! The concrete seems to have been watered down with too much sand VS cement as Bazis & their contractors cut corners - cracking and pitting are main issues. I'm not holding much hope for the younger pedestrian sidewalk along Yonge and Poyntz.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-122#post-1115484

Once developer gets behind schedule on public realm projects, the City should step in with their own contractors to finish the job,.... and bill the developer. Problem is if the City just add bill to property tax (as done with municipal licensing & standards issues),... and purchasers already closed sale then it's the residential/office/retail condo owners hit with the bill from the City - giving irresponsible developer more incentives to stall.

Any better ideas? Comments?

Attachments

• EmeraldPark_PedestrianTunnel.jpg
    EmeraldPark_PedestrianTunnel.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 670
Last edited:
BTW, I really love the TTC's humour,.... stating "The Poyntz underpass is being constructed by EmeraldPark (2010) Inc." - it sort sounds like it's been closed since 2010 for construction,... which is pretty close since it's been 30 months already.

That's not the TTC's humour. It's the legal name of the developer.

A simple 9-month project that Bazis stretched to a 30-month stalling game,..... it's unbelievable that public realm space like access to a highly utilized TTC subway entrance is held hostage by a developer who can't be bothered to send anyone over to complete the work they're responsible for

"Highly utilized"? By who? There are seven other entrances, and every office building in the area is closer to one of those. Not to mention the fact that if you're paying by cash or Presto, or if you're a kid/student/senior, you have to go use one of the other entrances. People aren't being "held hostage" by having to cross Yonge Street or walk a whopping 180 meters to the entrance beside the Nestle building either. I'm not sure which of this, "worst traffic in North America" and "worst Tim Hortons in all of Toronto" is the biggest exaggeration.

FYI,.... it wasn't the TTC that decided to publish that phone number,.... clearly, it's never good to deliver late around here. So do call that number and call often,... even ask about when Presto should arrive at the EmeraldPark TTC entrance,....

Technically Bazis won't allow those signage on EmeraldPark property - thus, they're restricted to TTC property within the TTC subway station. EmeraldPark store-owners are just as frustrated with this situation,.... and based on their signage, allowed to place signage within their retail-condo stores (including on interior side of windows facing out) - which they own,... hmmmmm,...

Last edited:

Back