Toronto Edge on Triangle Park | ?m | 21s | Plaza | TACT Architecture

Of the TACT designed buildings in the WQW neighbourhood, this is the only one that I'm drawn to. I think that it looks great so far.

I completely agree !

8 March 2014
720o0Mt.jpg

NyCkcFO.jpg

7 June 2014: I have noticed a relationship between the real estate wealth of this city and the colours its homeowners prefer: beige, grey and black (esp the colours of their cars they drive--seriously!) Back in the '90s green was popular--likewise green ww/glass/spandrel etc. I guess Toronto's paper millionaires are a conservative lot?
tN5EzPs.jpg

uFa904S.jpg

Of course what they're really building here is just a ****ton of rentals--another Jamieson in the making imo (c.2030s)
w1ktDfH.jpg

Which means by 2070 the hipsters will be retaking this strip :p
9As2Cnu.jpg

pE6sghS.jpg

VbshDpA.jpg

Spire--I mean Modern--how long is this ww gonna last before it's replaced?

Oh and I've got a name for this district: The Grey District West. Its eastern twin is the Grey District aka pan am village.

Last edited:
While the large gray walls are odd, it's not like this building is like anything else anywhere in the city. There are two towers with a canyon down the middle here, large punchouts, and a massive arts complex going in, so yes, they are trying. You're not trying though.

^^ But seriously, was that wall of ugly, grey metal necessary? Could they not have made it back or at least used grey brick or stone? It just ruins the whole look of the building for me. Massive arts complex? How massive are we taking about? You won't hear me complaining about more culture and entertainment options! I just hope this area looks and feels more animated once it's all done.

While the large gray walls are odd, it's not like this building is like anything else anywhere in the city. There are two towers with a canyon down the middle here, large punchouts, and a massive arts complex going in, so yes, they are trying. You're not trying though.

And yet none of that saves the lackluster design of this building. This whole area is full of terribly designed Plazacorp projects. Just my opinion. That's still allowed around here, right? :p

Sure it's allowed, but you quickly dismissed them as not trying, and quite obviously, they are.

Is the building a total success? Not from what I've seen so far, but it's no run-of-the-mill complex either. I don't like that south wall, but there elements of Edge that bear further scrutiny. I'd like to explore the punchouts and it would be interesting to know how the residents will deal with the two walls of glass facing each other. Will it bring a sense of community? Is this the transplanted Parisian courtyard apartment on steroids? How well will it all function with the new park/public piazza and Toronto Media Arts Centre? This could be an interesting place to live in a couple years.

But the south wall will still be ugly, sure.

some pixelated panels like that Royal Military condo on University would have looked a lot better than the grey, and probably not too much more money (?). Perhaps the competition is so cut throat and the margins so razor thin that even these modest extra costs would bankrupt some of these developers. Or, maybe it is bad design sense for these details, or just apathy.

Pic taken July 1, 2014

Looking North from Lamport Stadium.

A nice viewpoint of these new buildings.

PGgHqUt.jpg

Back