Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

this shot is giving me bloor/yonge south view from st clair vibes.. the city is growing up so fast

Could use more office sqft though. St. Clair is especially vibrant because it has a large mix of office workers during the day hours.

Yonge and Eglinton is quickly going through its office stock to make way for condominiums.

As it appears from the 401 @ Yonge Street:

DSC_0206.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 449
And to think about what an intense NIMBY outcry and battle there was over the 50 storey tower in the foreground about a decade ago. Now nobody says anything when new towers are proposed in the area.

And to think about what an intense NIMBY outcry and battle there was over the 50 storey tower in the foreground about a decade ago. Now nobody says anything when new towers are proposed in the area.
Yonge - Eglinton is arguably THE reason the OMB is now a part of history. The NIMBY roots still run strong in the area, have no doubt. It's just that the OMB was unusually good at fending them off.

Now nobody says anything when new towers are proposed in the area.

That doesn't mean that the planning system is working, rather it could be equally taken as explanation that the residents feel beaten down by Toronto-style planning processes and the OMB. If I lived in the area I probably would have given up any opposition too.

I'm no NIMBY nor am I anti-tower (quite the contrary, right down to designing them), but in fairness, the areas around Yonge/Eg. represent pretty awful urban planning (or lack thereof). I walked around there last summer and was dismayed at the disjointed and piecemeal development pattern up that way. A lot of those side streets are seeing an odd jump from detached homes to 50-storey towers, with no regard for the more appropriate scale in between, nor any attempt to bridge that gap using architectural devices or considerations.

I'm not saying that the locals aren't sometimes in the wrong for their by-default opposition, but developers are certainly not in the right just because they own the property and have found success at the OMB. There's some good high-density development and planning in some parts of Toronto, but you won't find much of the good stuff at Yonge/Eg. Just my two cents.

*prepares self for comments that he is a NIMBY (despite being very much the contrary), and a ton of #hailcorporate BS*

It's an area in rapid transition - right now it's a jumbled mess as it's essentially a gigantic construction site, but by the mid 2020s it should start making a lot more sense. Of course not all of the development is amazing, but it's not like it's a disaster either.

Back