Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

It's not just the colour. Look at the shorter tower. It went from somewhat interesting to completely boring and conventional. Look how rigid and ordinary, that grid of windows has become. Here we go with the bait and switch. The condo starts off cool, creative and fresh, with a small flash of colour, then morphs into a big, grey, conventional glass box. For me, it just went from a thumbs up, to a disappointing thumbs down. If I had bought a condo here, I'd be freaking out right about now. It's also the principle of not getting what you were promised. I don't care if this crap is just the way it is in Ontario. It's just wrong. I'd try to cancel my sale and break that contract.

Last edited:
Well, I still like it. It would have looked better with the red, and with a deeper black (like the treatment at River City), but if executed well, I think it will still be pretty sharp.

They managed to take the sexiness out of this building and create just another "city-Place" apartment building. Where is the dramatic red offset section which beautifully contrasted with the black obelisk, slender tower?

What is the role of the DRP? To dumb down and unify all apartment buildings across T.O.?

The DRP have ruined one of the more interesting proposals we have seen in a while. What gives them this power?

8FEF1E68-E811-450D-A5C3-80FB84EE143D-742-0000006B510EE860.jpg

Last edited:
With respect to the taller tower, aside from the removal of the red offset, perhaps the difference between these two renderings is just in the presentation by the render artist.

Well, I still like it. It would have looked better with the red, and with a deeper black (like the treatment at River City), but if executed well, I think it will still be pretty sharp.

It's a square, grey tower. This will look pretty sharp?

It is different, but I still like it. I actually really like the shorter tower. Overall, it's still way better looking than Minto Midtown or in fact, many condo towers north of Dupont.

The subway entrance is pretty cool--reminds me of the southern entrance to Square Victoria in Montreal (aka my old (and future?!) 'hood :D

Last edited:
It's a square, grey tower. This will look pretty sharp?

I'm not convinced that it will be grey. From some of the new renderings it still looks black, if not at least slate grey. Furthermore, the horizontally shuffled rows of windows looks quite interesting.

From DRP Minutes on Feb 21:
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2013/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_21feb13.pdf

Looks like there is new design, only 1 tower. Panel voted for support.

If I understand correctly, the direct subway entrance from within the building "E8" has not been approved yet?
When will the next meeting take place?
And how do we know if a project really gets approved in the end? Where can I find info on the toronto.ca site?
I haven't bought a unit here personally, as I still cannot get over the $700/sqft pricing, but I guess they are really charging a big premium for being right at the corner of Y+E and offering direct access to the subway from the building. At the sales centre, the lady told me they are actually planning some retails below the main floor (not sure if it is true, as I did not see it in the DRP).
I am new at this, but find these discussion fairly interesting, so I want to learn more.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, the direct subway entrance from within the building "E8" has not been approved yet?
When will the next meeting take place?
And how do we know if a project really gets approved in the end? Where can I find info on the toronto.ca site?
I haven't bought a unit here personally, as I can still not get over the $700/sqft pricing, but I guess they are really charging a big premium for being right at the corner of Y+E and offering direct access to the subway from the building. At the sales centre, the lady told me they are actually planning some retails below the main floor (not sure if it is true, as I did not see it in the DRP).
I am new at this, but find these discussion fairly interesting, so I want to learn more.

Thanks!

Welcome to UT Walter. Yes the price point is a bit high likely, but with subway 10 mins to downtown, and options for crosstown fast tranist by 2020 as well as the insance price increases in the yonge egg area in the last 20 years, its hard to put a number on locational value. I know my folks old old semi detached victorian up by Sporting Life area would sell for around 600/sqft most likely if prices stay similar to recent, and it was built in 1889 so factor in age and location being superior, as well as transit access, and it might actually make sense. I guess if they are selling well, and the buyers are willing and under no duress, then there is a market for this kind of psf here.

I agreed, and I think its selling well even at its current price point, its due to the spot the building will be situated on.
I personally like the idea of having direct access to the subway, as I don't see why not, and being right at the intersection, you may head any direction and there are the amenities you can enjoy without breaking a sweat.

Personally (just my own view), if the direct subway access doesn't get approved, I would rather consider RedPath for its lower price point and its still a good distance going to the subway.
I am not sure if the sales lady at the sales office is making this up or not, but anyone know if they are really going to have some underground and main level retail/office spaces at this building?

The direct subway access will definitely be approved. There's no doubt of that.

Meanwhile, we have a front page story up with more new renderings (larger and more detailed too - click on them of course!) and the dataBase has even more renderings of the project. The older ones are still in there too for comparison and archival purposes.

I think the details are looking pretty impressive on this one…

Big Daddy:

They managed to take the sexiness out of this building and create just another "city-Place" apartment building. Where is the dramatic red offset section which beautifully contrasted with the black obelisk, slender tower?

Please go through the 2 preceding DRPs and tell me just where did the panel demanded the removal of that dramatic element or otherwise demanded a "dumbing down" of the design?

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_23jan12.pdf (Jan 23, 2012)
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_17jul12.pdf (June 17, 2012)

AoD

I'll be sorry if the red is gone for sure up top too… but maybe they were getting feedback from purchasers that they didn't want the view of the city from up there to be red. It's one of those cool things that might just wear thin pretty quickly, I'm thinking.

Anyway, for those who haven't bothered to go through all the new renderings yet, definitely take a trip through the dataBase page. There is some really good looking new stuff in there. It will be fun to watch this evolve.

Well, it just becomes a typical boring condo building in Toronto. I think it suits lifeless Yonge/Eg pretty well.

If I am gonna spend $700/sf for the convenience of being 10 minutes subway ride to downtown, why don't I just live downtown? I don't see any advantage of this location compared with say Yonge/College, or John/Richmond, or King/Church. There are tons of downtown condos to choose from.

The location of Yonge/Eg is over exggerated. What's the point of being on the future Crosstown? What exactly is interesting on Eglinton Ave that one would need to take the future Crosstown to see? Nothing. The only point of being on the line is to get to Yonge st and then come downtown for some life.

Back