Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Union Station is getting 160,000 sq.ft of retail and Oxford Place is going to be massive. This will take pressure of Eaton Centre for the southmost communities in City Place, South Core and the Waterfront. Eaton Centre itself is not only expanding into the former Sears store but it's also growing south as Cadillac Fairview purchased The Bay's Queen St store.

That said, all stores are not overcrowded. This is pretty much an Apple Store issue. It's not just intolerably crowded during Christmas and other busy shopping seasons, it's busy all the time. If the mall is ever slow, pass by the Apple Store and invariably you'll find it unproportionally busy.

With the corridor closing on the main level, we know that they're now working on the stores along Yonge. It's possible that some stores could open this Fall while work continues on Nordstrom. Also, if H&M is indeed moving out of their current space, that might confirm that this project will open in stages. Cadillac Fairview wouldn't cut the ribbon on their renovation with H&M moving to a new store and leaving their old one vacant — which happens to be the signature space for their Yonge & Dundas corner.

I think that this Fall 2015, we'll see 3 to 4 big retailers open 2 or 3 level stores along Yonge from the entrance opposite to Roots going north. If H&M is one of them, the atrium will close for renovations. Everything else will open in Fall 2016.

Are there any details you can share about their plan to expand the mall south?

Seems like almost every store in this mall is overcrowded. I can't imagine how bad things will get when the population in downtown doubles within the next couple of decades.

If it continues to offer the same types of stores, maybe not all that much. I'd wager that a large part of the crowds at the EC are tourists, much more so than any equivalent suburban mall. As massively popular as the Eaton Centre is, very little of what it offers is actually practical, and that's what local residents need more than countless similar fashion retailers and two anchors which are focused on high-margin apparel. I lived across the street from it for 9 years, and seldom bought anything there, despite frequently being in there for subway access or to walk from Dundas to Queen indoors when the weather was bad. Even the Shoppers Drug Mart there is practically useless for anything other than cosmetics and the post office; I'd usually walk up to the one at Yonge and Carlton which had much better selection, stock levels, and longer operating hours.

Are there any details you can share about their plan to expand the mall south?

The mall is not really "growing" to the south, so much as The Hudson's Bay store is now considered part of the Eaton Centre. Part of The Bay is being carved out to be a Sak's Fifth Avenue.

If it continues to offer the same types of stores, maybe not all that much. I'd wager that a large part of the crowds at the EC are tourists, much more so than any equivalent suburban mall. As massively popular as the Eaton Centre is, very little of what it offers is actually practical, and that's what local residents need more than countless similar fashion retailers and two anchors which are focused on high-margin apparel. I lived across the street from it for 9 years, and seldom bought anything there, despite frequently being in there for subway access or to walk from Dundas to Queen indoors when the weather was bad. Even the Shoppers Drug Mart there is practically useless for anything other than cosmetics and the post office; I'd usually walk up to the one at Yonge and Carlton which had much better selection, stock levels, and longer operating hours.

Really? Maybe that's just you. I know people who frequently travel from all around the city to shop at the Eaton Centre.

The mall is not really "growing" to the south, so much as The Hudson's Bay store is now considered part of the Eaton Centre. Part of The Bay is being carved out to be a Sak's Fifth Avenue.

It won't just be considered part of the mall, they're going to physically make it so. For example, the bridge over Queen St is going to be rebuilt allowing a more seamless continuation from the existing mall to the Bay's building. Also, the subway atrium on the lower level might be reconfigured to connect the stores directly. I imagine this would mean widening the space between the stores and relocating the doors upstairs by the stairs.

I've learned from a friend of mine who is an employee at H&M that they're planning to move from their current location, into the rebuilt portion of the mall. This will be a good move for them since, like the Apple Store, their store is often overcrowded.

I can't vogue for the accuracy of this (he's just a low level retail employee), but he'd have no reason to mislead me.

H&M isn't moving. They're just taking some of Sears' old space.

I hate what the Eaton Centre did to the north entrance on Dundas. Walking in there used to be so pleasant but now it's a disaster. I think that whole area needs a change.

is the store going to be inside the eaton center or it will have a presence and entrance on yonge street.

I am led to believe that along Yonge Street, the shops will face out with their main entrance on Yonge.

Do we know if they are creating a corridor between Nordstrom and the new stores facing Yonge Street so that the stores also have interior entrances? Or will people have to walk through Nordstrom to access the rest of the mall to the south?

This is certainly more exciting than Nordstrom, whose stores tend to be oddly conservative and dowdy considering their merchandise. Simons would have been so much better with the arrival of Saks.

Back