Toronto East FiftyFive | 83.21m | 24s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Confirmed that this is an architectsAlliance design. dataBase file now established and linked at the top of this page. Check out the detailed images!

All clear.

This is on the block between those highway-like stretches of Richmond and Adelaide that are really pedestrian-hostile. I'll be interested to see how this and Axiom across the street effect the hood.

16204790719_e3d8d9a0f8_b.jpg

Attachments

• 16204790719_e3d8d9a0f8_b.jpg
    16204790719_e3d8d9a0f8_b.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 1,401
Last edited:
Why was there no rush to designate the previous heritage warehouse building? Why hasn't the chief planner stepped in to declare this proposal inappropriate for the area?

Bad enough when Mirvish or Ford spams the threads. Thankfully, Ford intrusions have subsided. Unfortunately, now we have Stollery.

Why was there no rush to designate the previous heritage warehouse building? Why hasn't the chief planner stepped in to declare this proposal inappropriate for the area?
Was the former building really heritage-material? I love heritage but it really did not seem to be to me, I think it dated from the 1950s. The Chief Planner can only comment on proposed developments when they are actually proposed - no development application has yet been filed.

Biggest loss is the materiality and texture of the red brick. If it's not all glass nowadays, it's black brick, and frankly both are getting tired. A modern reimagining of the demolished warehouse would be most ideal, something like Mozo just up the street, which incidentally was designed by aA as well. One of Toronto's defining features is its classic red brick streetscapes, which we're slowly chiseling away for a bland, homogenous street level devoid of character.

The existing building seemed to be built on the cheap with a raised main floor leading to a poor street interface. At least the setback was upgraded from the usual undersized parking spaces. I have faith the new building will be its superior by every definition that is, if it gets built. It's the only thing I don't like about what has transpired here. Demolition occurred too early in the process.

Last edited:
Biggest loss is the materiality and texture of the red brick. If it's not all glass nowadays, it's black brick, and frankly both are getting tired. A modern reimagining of the demolished warehouse would be most ideal, something like Mozo just up the street, which incidentally was designed by aA as well. One of Toronto's defining features is its classic red brick streetscapes, which we're slowly chiseling away for a bland, homogenous street level devoid of character.

I'd like to see red or yellow brick which was very common in Toronto, and plays homage to the area and character of SLM/old Toronto.

it'd be interesting to see white brick instead of black brick too.

Reminds me of Morris Adjmi's 282 South 5th Street in Williamsburg:

lJWIjt6.jpg

Funny, when I first saw the rendering for this project I wondered what it would look like if the balconies were enclosed and now I have an answer!

I find balconies that jut out kinda' messy and too busy. All of our new buildings have balconies; does anyone know if this is a code thing? I imagine it's a lifestyle/marketing thing -- a piece of the outdoors up high in the sky. Personally I like solariums, but I guess with floor to ceiling glass the entire unit is a solarium hah.

I'd like to see red or yellow brick which was very common in Toronto, and plays homage to the area and character of SLM/old Toronto.

it'd be interesting to see white brick instead of black brick too.

I'd love to see a bold proposal using white brick, I can't think of anything currently in the works that incorporates it.

Back