Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

http://thetorontoblog.com/2012/01/0...proposal-for-2-condo-towers-at-dundas-jarvis/

TEYCC being asked to call public meeting to review proposal for 2 condo towers at Dundas & Jarvis

08 Jan 2012

Public input: City planning staff aren’t comfortable with a developer’s plan for a 2-tower condo development at the northeast corner of Dundas & Jarvis Streets, so they have recommended that Toronto and East York Community Council (TEYCC) order a public meeting to get Toronto residents’ input into the proposal.

It wants to redevelop the site into a new mixed-use residential complex featuring two towers — 48 and 35 storeys, respectively — that would rise above a podium ranging from 2 to 10 floors in height.

The proposed condo complex would contain 693 residential units (condos as well as “purpose built student rental housing” for students at nearby Ryerson University), office space, street-level retail, underground parking for 352 vehicles, and 701 bicycle parking spaces. 450 of the residential units — 65% of the total — would be 1 bedroom, 35 would be bachelors, 139 would be 2 bedroom, while 69 would be configured as 3 or more bedrooms. The 48-storey skyscraper would soar 151.85 meters high — approximately the same height as the 250 Yonge Street office tower at the Toronto Eaton Centre six blocks west. City planning reports indicate the project’s architect of record is Page + Steele/IBI Group Architects of Toronto.

The developer met with city planning staff in May and October 2011 to discuss its proposal; however, on both occasions the planners said they couldn’t support the developer’s rezoning application “in its current form.”

“Staff indicated concern with the overall height of the project, the relationship with and transition to the adjacent Neighbourhoods Area, and the type of units being proposed for the student residence component,” the planners explain in a November 10 2011 preliminary report to TEYCC.

City planners have recommended that a community consultation be held for the project in February, and say they are aiming to complete their final report on the proposal later this year. The planners’ request for directions to hold a community consultation is on the agenda for the January 10 meeting of TEYCC.

Area residents say they suspect highrises are in the cards for the southeast corner of Dundas & Jarvis, too — currently a block of low-rise retail shops, including a Ho-Lee-Chow Chinese takeout restaurant.

http://thetorontoblog.com/2012/01/0...proposal-for-2-condo-towers-at-dundas-jarvis/

TEYCC being asked to call public meeting to review proposal for 2 condo towers at Dundas & Jarvis

08 Jan 2012
So they are considering a mix of condos and student rental housing for the complex. Very interesting! I had occasion to look into that possibility quite carefully for a site at UBC and was strongly discouraged by very competent consultants. Unless there is separate access and elevator bank, which is very costly, this could be difficult. To be graphic about it, no one wants to buy an expensive condo and then have a drunk 19 year old vomit on your shoes in the elevator on Friday night. (Not my image but I listened!)

Maybe their consultants are saying something different or perhaps the larger site will enable easier separation. This will be fascinating to follow.

Hmm, interesting, so even here there are height issues. I know it's not all about height (and of course I want the character of select/certain neighborhoods to be intact) but I'm genuinely wondering where in the greater downtown area can highrises (45+ storeys) be constructed without restrictions from City Planning staff? I understand that Nimbyism will exist virtually everywhere but from the City's perspective, is there any area left where they'll actually accept super-tall buildings? All this talk from the City about height is making me think that the Tall buildings study is already in effect. Is it? I thought it would be considered early this year (as in very shortly) to see if it would be implemented or not.

200 Dundas Street East (Hilton Garden Hotel) (Page + Steele, 48 + 35)

There is a public open house tonight at Metropolitan United Church's dining room from 6pm-9pm.

Background file:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-43081.pdf

7045383073_b6f0dd6a48_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought it was important to put these up as well as they really emphasize all the setbacks. As is I think this could be very promising (the tower portion at least). Good start.

83Odn.png

Also really like that 2 and 3 bedroom units comprise 30% of the total.

The sketches posted are now moot. The project has been completely redesigned. The renderings presented at the open house tonight are a nice improvement. It is marginally lower than originally proposed, and the podium is down from 10 to 6 (with step downs to the north).

The student residence component has been removed as they were told there is plenty around already. In the podium, there is a space for "office" that might be used for some kind of cultural use (though, too preliminary to speculate at this point).

Good looking project though. Response well to adjacent densities. Has a nice setback at the ground floor with cantilevers above to provide some canopying. A nice improvement I think.

Last edited:
I'm convinced that covering a building in EIFS in a misguided attempt to "improve" it actually reduces its life by 10-20 years. The thing becomes so ugly that no-one can stand it and it becomes a redevelopment site sooner rather than later.

This is a perfect example of this.

I'm convinced that covering a building in EIFS in a misguided attempt to "improve" it actually reduces its life by 10-20 years. The thing becomes so ugly that no-one can stand it and it becomes a redevelopment site sooner rather than later.

This is a perfect example of this.

is this EIFS or precast?

EIFS. Mind you I think in this case it's how it is used and relate to the rest of the building that make it particularly bad - Courtyard Marriott didn't look nearly as atrocious.

AoD

It was an International Style office building that had seen better days. Even still, the makeover was horrendous.

Back