Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

The 45 storeys and 145 metres is based on the height in the zoning bylaw amendment as approved by City Council. The number of metres includes the mechanical penthouse. Was this building granted an increase at the Committee of Adjustment afterwards?

Okay, the dataBase has been updated with new stats.

The roof may be at 154.1m, but there's a 2 metre-high parapet around that, so that's the top of the building: 156.1m or 512 feet.

50 storeys now. 19 storey podium along Dundas. 1004 suites now. It's all huge. Yuuuuuuge. It's tremendous.

I know, I was wondering why the "podium" was so large as well. Based on my read of the staff report, Planning staff indicated that the site was actually large enough to accommodate two towers. A high-rise tower on the east side of the site along George Street was seen as not appropriate given the lower-rise neighbourhood to the east, so as a compromise the tower was oriented along Jarvis Street and the City okayed a large "podium" across the rest of the site.

Problem with Jarvis is that it is the route that rich people from Midtown drive downtown. There is a reason why it was met with more opposition there than anywhere else in the city.

I think the solution is to make bike lanes more palatable. Eliminate the parking lane, extend the sidewalk and make bike lanes 'grade-separated' by placing them on the sidewalk rather than on the road.

I think the problem with Jarvis is building height is too small compared with the width of the street, plus the lack of pedestrians, which is why the perception of a freeway is strong. Imagine the same streets lined with mid to high rises on both sides and plenty of pedestrians (due to more residents and retail), cars will go slower.

newyork_1_103.jpg

Kind of like Sixth Avenue in NYC?

Mar 1 2017
upload_2017-3-1_15-41-35.png

It looks like someone may have been trespassing on the site, as per the graffiti on the eastern shoring:

upload_2017-3-1_15-42-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-1_15-41-35.png
    upload_2017-3-1_15-41-35.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • upload_2017-3-1_15-42-28.png
    upload_2017-3-1_15-42-28.png
    935.1 KB · Views: 323
Or the workers playing around ^

Those smiley faces don't look like tags.

Back