Toronto Discovery at Concord Park Place | ?m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

What does any of this have to do with design?

Ok. Then assuming you are right and it doesn't, you still haven't listed a government housing building that is better designed than ParkPlace because you haven't listed even ONE and since you used the word SOME in your previous post, you would've been able to name at least a few already but i guess you were just bluffing which kind of makes it hard for us to take you seriously.

How do people rate Ikea restaurant food there? I have a feeling a lot of people in this master plan community will be going there for food weekly and affordable. There will be cookie cutter interior furniture as well as a lot of people will likely buy stuff from there because it's convenient and economically priced. I think the distance between the Ikea restaurant window to the condo pool area is too close - lack of privacy.

Some problems I can foresee in this neighbourhood would be congestions, lack of parking space, and a lot of pet poo poo. The Toronto Star had an article published recently that talked about using technology that allows pets DNA filed by the condo and can match it to their poo poo DNA sent to a facility to process. If the owners don't clean up their mess, a bill will be sent to them upon identification and they will be fined.

This is a master plan community, so there will be a lot of people around. I dare say, I hope there will be "good" looking people there to ease the traffic congestions. Just offering a half glass full perspective to a future problem. :) I say that also because it's the people living there that will also define the community.

I agree with you that its the people living there that will define the community which is why I am hoping that it will have a lot of people of different ethnicity as opposed to just asian people, which is the majority of people that I saw at the VIP sales event. Not that I have anything against a lot of asian people but i like communities where there's people of various descent around. It seems to make everything more festive that way.

As for ikea food, to be honest i don't quite like it so even though its convenient and cheap, i would prolly just cook myself. Besides, thats why we have dishwashers for; so we can cook stuff we want to eat but not have to clean...=)

Btw, i also saw the article you mentioned and if they did the pet dna profile thing for this community, i would wholly support it. I think it is very inconsiderate when people's pets go poopoo but that owners do not clean it up. It ruins the environment for the rest of us.

Ok. Then assuming you are right and it doesn't, you still haven't listed a government housing building that is better designed than ParkPlace because you haven't listed even ONE and since you used the word SOME in your previous post, you would've been able to name at least a few already but i guess you were just bluffing which kind of makes it hard for us to take you seriously.

tchc-inline.jpg

regent-old-and-new.jpg

6e7931de4acbbba7d214643b2375.jpeg

88Carlton4_March18-10.jpg

And even this one looks good and it's under construction:
s6xeN.jpg

I won't bother showing renders of what's in the hopper.

My point is, you don't need to spend a bunch of money to have a nicely designed building. If the government can get it right, then so can developers.

The second picture: is that in the new Regent Park? If so, while I fully support your argument, I don't think that building - with it's nasty mechanical box exposed purposely - is a great example of aesthetically pleasing, Toronto architecture.

I completely agree with you (from the previous page) where you state that you are too preoccupied with mechanical boxes. Like at Discovery, at Regent Park all you can see when you look at the TCH building at Dundas and Sackville is the mechanical box screen at top when there's quite an engaging and handsome building (and the far greater part of the volume) below it. Granted the building does have an larger than usual mechanical box up there, but it's there for a reason: the building contains a district heating plant within it which will bring far more efficient climate control to the buildings surrounding it. Why shouldn't a boxy building have another box on top? It fits with the buildings design vocabulary after all.

My take is that stuff like Aria looks like a ridiculous wedding cake, desperately grasping for past stylistic glories which come from foreign places and vanished times; essentially it's complete shlock to me. If that's your cup of tea however, I do not see what your reference point is for discussing whether Discovery or other modern architecture passes muster; your architectural sensibility is completely alien to it.

Discovery's dichromatic glazing is "horrendous" why, again?

I completely agree with you (from the previous page) where you state that you are too preoccupied with mechanical boxes. Like at Discovery, at Regent Park all you can see when you look at the TCH building at Dundas and Sackville is the mechanical box screen at top when there's quite an engaging and handsome building (and the far greater part of the volume) below it. Granted the building does have an larger than usual mechanical box up there, but it's there for a reason: the building contains a district heating plant within it which will bring far more efficient climate control to the buildings surrounding it. Why shouldn't a boxy building have another box on top? It fits with the buildings design vocabulary after all.

But when you look at these buildings from other perspectives you see the awkward mechanical boxes. It's inevitable since they're high-rise buildings. At least at Regent Park, the screen looks interesting from a short distance, but rather cheap from viewing points like the Don Valley trails. There's no doubt that better integration of mechanicals is necessary.

...and that Richard Rogers lewwser always seems to forget to cover things up as well. Someone call Tom Wolfe!

Some architects integrate the functional into their design and make it explicit, meticulously controlling all details and positioning of the functional elements into a creative and sophisticated design. Others come up with a sleek design of glass curtainwall without revealing the building's internal mechanisms, then put a non-descript grey box on the roof hoping that some guy will excuse them with references to the work of a man who's actually capable of exposing functional components of a buildings and creating a sophisticated arrangement of these functional components. Looking at his portfolio, Rogers doesn't believe in the nondescript grey Toronto mechanical box. Thankfully, he ensured his first Toronto commissioned wouldn't have one.

The buildings are hideous. There's just no other way to describe them. Concord didn't even try.....

Back