News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Why can't we just name them by the major cross streets and be done? When you are giving directions it's just Bathurst (on Line 2 or on Line 5). Done.

I hate to agree with them, (since they sounded so clueless in those quotes) but I've lived at Yonge/College for 7 years (and Sherbourne/Wellesley for 6 years before that) but I still can't make St. Andrew vs. St. Patrick stick. I just know they're those King or Queen equivalents.

That's true, I know the transit system well but even I get St. Patrick, Osgoode and St. Andrew confused every now and again.

I sent an email to Metrolinx about this, and it felt silly, but nonetheless, here's the gist of it.

I strongly dislike the idea of naming the proposed Eglinton-Crosstown station at Yonge and Eglinton as just "Eglinton". I strongly believe the original name of Eglinton-Yonge is much more intuitive. I have applied Metrolinx's 5 station naming principles to this situation to give weight to this:
  1. Simple: While "Eglinton" is the most simple name, "Eglinton-Yonge" adds minimal complexity.
  2. Logical: It also follows the same naming convention as Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge stations, which are similar interchange stations. Furthermore, it is confusing that "Eglinton" station would be on the Eglinton Crosstown line along Eglinton Avenue.
  3. Durable: There will likely never be another area in the GTHA that refers to an intersection of streets or other features named Eglinton and Yonge.
  4. Self-Locating: Optimal station name are associated with a cross street, neighbourhood or landmark, but "long streets can be inefficient at self-locating." "Eglinton-Yonge" is at Eglinton and Yonge in Toronto; you can't get better at pinpointing the station location than that. "Eglinton" is inefficient at self-locating because "Eglinton" could be anywhere along Eglinton Avenue, which stretches from Kingston Road in Scarborough in the east, to Highway 407 in Mississauga in the west. In fact, "Eglinton" is already a placeholder name for the Hurontario-Main LRT in Mississauga.
  5. Unique: See Points 2 to 4 above. There is no other area referred to as Eglinton and Yonge.
You missed the fact that Yonge-Eglinton Centre is just outside, and is connected to, the station.

I sent an email to Metrolinx about this, and it felt silly, but nonetheless, here's the gist of it.

I strongly dislike the idea of naming the proposed Eglinton-Crosstown station at Yonge and Eglinton as just "Eglinton". I strongly believe the original name of Eglinton-Yonge is much more intuitive. I have applied Metrolinx's 5 station naming principles to this situation to give weight to this:

I'm pretty sure it's the TTC who is in charge of naming interchange stations, because those stations encompass existing TTC infrastructure. Eglinton West station is being renamed to Cedarvale because the TTC said so, not Metrolinx. Therefore you should be emailing the TTC.

1. Simple: While "Eglinton" is the most simple name, "Eglinton-Yonge" adds minimal complexity.
  2. Logical: It also follows the same naming convention as Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge stations, which are similar interchange stations. Furthermore, it is confusing that "Eglinton" station would be on the Eglinton Crosstown line along Eglinton Avenue.
  3. Durable: There will likely never be another area in the GTHA that refers to an intersection of streets or other features named Eglinton and Yonge.
  4. Self-Locating: Optimal station name are associated with a cross street, neighbourhood or landmark, but "long streets can be inefficient at self-locating." "Eglinton-Yonge" is at Eglinton and Yonge in Toronto; you can't get better at pinpointing the station location than that. "Eglinton" is inefficient at self-locating because "Eglinton" could be anywhere along Eglinton Avenue, which stretches from Kingston Road in Scarborough in the east, to Highway 407 in Mississauga in the west. In fact, "Eglinton" is already a placeholder name for the Hurontario-Main LRT in Mississauga.
  5. Unique: See Points 2 to 4 above. There is no other area referred to as Eglinton and Yonge.

Brad Ross claims the TTC wants to move away from hyphenated names. If they could rename Bloor-Yonge, they'd call it Bloor...

Why can't we just name them by the major cross streets and be done? When you are giving directions it's just Bathurst (on Line 2 or on Line 5). Done.

I hate to agree with them, (since they sounded so clueless in those quotes) but I've lived at Yonge/College for 7 years (and Sherbourne/Wellesley for 6 years before that) but I still can't make St. Andrew vs. St. Patrick stick. I just know they're those King or Queen equivalents.

I agree completely. People claim that this is confusing, but people do this with street names every day of their lives. And other grid-based cities like New York do it without issue.

I agree completely. People claim that this is confusing, but people do this with street names every day of their lives. And other grid-based cities like New York do it without issue.

Exactly. I give directions to Yonge/College and nobody is going to get confused and go to Yonge/Steeles because they both have Yonge in the name. Or alternately, saying I live in the "Garden District" tells you nothing. You'd be like, "Where???" and I would clarify with corner of Yonge/College.

Dundas. It looks like you're still getting them confused haha.

Maybe they should get a low information, occasional or never subway user and ask them: Rob Ford, maybe? My mom?

Rob: I can't believe Queen's Park is the worst offender in your books. Really? Because it's at College & University, rather than 50m north?

Other than the fact the '& Eglinton' part was not needed, I vote with the 'we'll figure out whatever they name them' crowd. If you're mapping out your route, myTTC gives you the name of the station to get on and off at, which seems like it should work.

http://myttc.ca/travel/from/28_Chester_Avenue/to/Roy_Thomson

While I don't agree with some of the names of the station stops, now the fact that we are at the 3rd renaming phase that has been rejected by Metrolinx and we have to change the names AGAIN... I really have to say at this point

6j4ko0x.jpg

Brad Ross claims the TTC wants to move away from hyphenated names. If they could rename Bloor-Yonge, they'd call it Bloor...

Actually now that I think of it I really never refer to it as Bloor-Yonge or Yonge when I'm on Line 2. It's always just "Bloor", though maybe that's because I am far more used to riding Line 1.

These station names will never become the "norm". If selected, Torontonians will be asking "what intersection is Forest Hill Station" as long as these stations exist.

Real estate agents must be pretty ecstatic that Forest Hill has expanded to Bathurst & Eglinton.

Back