News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Or calling it Keele as thats the names south of Eglinton and Keele north makes that turn (and for some reason that small section is called Gore or something like which makes no sense) and then intersects Trethewey as it curves again. The name Tretheway should end at the point Keele hits it. Trethewey conjures up murder, drugs, etc. When you hear Trethewey in the news its never good

Can't call it "Keele" because there is already a Keele subway station on the Bloor-Danforth line. I personally like "Thethewey". You can't avoid using a certain name just because some people currently associated it with bad things. In ten years the name may have a totally different connotation.

I think "Leaside" for the station at Bayview was alright seeing as the commercial core of Leaside is just south of there, and "Laird" is a unique name. The station at Leslie should be called "Sunnybrook Park".
Well, Leaside has made an interesting appropriation of South Bayview then. :p

That should be the actual name of the station, 'South Bayview Station'.

(Or, rename the Sheppard line station into Bayview Village and just call this one Bayview)

"Trethewey" is unique sounding too. What are the brain-trust at Metrolinx/TTC thinking overlooking an obvious name choice for a more tacky sounding "Keelesdale". The intersection is Trethewey and Eglinton after all. It'd be good too to have a subway station start with the letter T.

I think Metrolinx should put up a poll on their Crosstown website and have the public help narrow down station names. What connection is Sunnybrook to Leslie St more so than to Bayview, for example? I think the public is smarter than this. Just think after decades of the misnamed "Downsview" we're finally seeing a renamed "Sheppard West" station as it should have been named in the first place.

They didn't put up a poll, but they did ask 'the public'. That's where some of the revised station names came from.
https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engagement-initiatives/eglinton-crosstown-lrt-station-names
https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/...s/eglinton-crosstown-lrt-station-names-part-2

One of the comments re Sunnybrook Park came from John Parker, I assume the former councillor.
"Sunnybrook Park" in and of itself is a perfectly fine name, and it describes its location.
BUT
Sunnybrook Hospital is more widely recognized as a landmark and it is nowhere nearby.
Further, the hospital is likely to be the destination of people (a) in a state of panic and/or (b) who are visiting patients but are not familiar with the area. I wonder if a lot of people would assume that Sunnybrook hospital would be in the vicinity of Sunnybrook Park and head to the wrong Crosstown station as a result.

Also the 'support' for 'Leaside' station broke down as follows:

Strongly like - 46 votes
Like - 22 votes
Neutral - 10 votes
Dislike - 30 votes
Strongly dislike - 33 votes

Total votes = 141
Like 68
Dislike 63

Can't call it "Keele" because there is already a Keele subway station on the Bloor-Danforth line. I personally like "Thethewey". You can't avoid using a certain name just because some people currently associated it with bad things. In ten years the name may have a totally different connotation.

I've never associated Trethewey with crime. I've only ever thought that it as being one of the best sounding street names in Toronto :)

I really would like to know how much money Metrolinx has spent on these station naming consultants. Hiring outside consultants to tell you how to name stations seems a little ridiculous to me. And I can't help but feel that if the TTC did the same, it would stir up quite the controversy.

I really would like to know how much money Metrolinx has spent on these station naming consultants. Hiring outside consultants to tell you how to name stations seems a little ridiculous to me. And I can't help but feel that if the TTC did the same, it would stir up quite the controversy.
Wait, hold on. Metrolinx hired consultants to determine station names? You have got to be kidding me. It's amazes me how many times to province loves to waste money on ridiculous and pointless things, but this is out of hand.

Metrolinx -the organization responsible for transit planning in the province- had to hire outside consultants to figure out the best way to name stations on a transit line? Then the consultants release the names, and Metrolinx tells them that they don't like the names. This is possibly the most pathetic thing I have heard in my life (and i'm putting that very lightly).

They hired outside firms as part of a Regional Wayfinding Harmonization, developing a new way for naming stations is just one component. I don't see how overhauling the disorganized transit wayfinding in this region is a waste of money.

Wait, hold on. Metrolinx hired consultants to determine station names? You have got to be kidding me. It's amazes me how many times to province loves to waste money on ridiculous and pointless things, but this is out of hand.

Metrolinx -the organization responsible for transit planning in the province- had to hire outside consultants to figure out the best way to name stations on a transit line? Then the consultants release the names, and Metrolinx tells them that they don't like the names. This is possibly the most pathetic thing I have heard in my life (and i'm putting that very lightly).

Yup. In the board meeting they mentioned that they hired consultants out of London (UK) to tell them how to name the stations. The consultants were behind a successful way finding initiative for Transport for London, and I assume that Metrolinx staff expected the same results here. Flawed thinking because these consultants wouldn't be as familiar with Toronto as they are with londonLondon. We see this reflected in their work, where they recommended rarely used names like Keelesdale and Silverthorne, and misplaced stations like Forest Hill.

I'm getting the impression that Metrolinx is becoming too tied up in their own bureaucracy. Perhaps more public oversight is called for.

Yup. In the board meeting they mentioned that they hired consultants out of London (UK) to tell them how to name the stations. The consultants were behind a successful way finding initiative for Transport for London, and I assume that Metrolinx staff expected the same results here. Flawed thinking because these consultants wouldn't be as familiar with Toronto as they are with londonLondon. We see this reflected in their work, where they recommended rarely used names like Keelesdale and Silverthorne, and misplaced stations like Forest Hill.

I'm getting the impression that Metrolinx is becoming too tied up in their own bureaucracy. Perhaps more public oversight is called for.

Dude stop making up stuff. They did not hire consultants specifically to name stations. They hired them as part of a Wayfinding initiative which includes a new way to name stations: http://kerrsmithblog.com/2014/12/09/metrolinx-2/

They hired outside firms as part of a Regional Wayfinding Harmonization, developing a new way for naming stations is just one component. I don't see how overhauling the disorganized transit wayfinding in this region is a waste of money.

Exactly. Saying they're "station naming consultants" is misrepresenting the situation.

Besides, if the number of rapid transit stations are going to double or triple as is planned, it makes much more sense to sort out a standard NOW rather than later.

Dude stop making up stuff. They did not hire consultants specifically to name stations. They hired them as part of a Wayfinding initiative which includes a new way to name stations: http://kerrsmithblog.com/2014/12/09/metrolinx-2/

Yes, and as that link makes clear, the UK team is only part of the consulting team. The other part (KerrSmith) is 100% local.

Last edited:
Exactly. Saying they're "station naming consultants" is misrepresenting the situation.

Besides, if the number of rapid transit stations are going to double or triple as is planned, it makes much more sense to sort out a standard NOW rather than later.

I'm sorry if I didn't understand correctly, but I really don't appreciate you accusing me of lying. If you watch the Metrolinx board meeting, you'll understand why I said that. Metrolinx staff did say the same thing. I was only repeating what Metrolinx staff said. The fact that you guys would accuse me of intentionally misleading is upsetting.

Everyone, I apologize for spreading the misinformation. It was not intentional. I was only repeating what I heard at the meeting.

Dude, stop accusing me of making stuff up. I was only repeating what I heard at the Metrolinx board meeting. Metrolinx staff mentioned they brought in an outside firm to name the stations.

I watched the meeting. They mentioned in bringing in outside consultants to develop a way to name stations in the region but that was not the specific reason they were brought in. They came is a part of a broader initiative. People need to stop passing off half truths on this forum.

I watched the meeting. They mentioned in bringing in outside consultants to develop a way to name stations in the region but that was not the specific reason they were brought in. They came is a part of a broader initiative. People need to stop passing off half truths on this forum.

I wasn't intentionally passing off half truths. I only said what the staff in charge of the initiative said. I really had no reason to doubt if what she said was accurate, as she was in charge of the initiative.

You need stop accusing people of lying or making stuff up. If something is inaccurate, you need to inquire about why it was inaccurate, before accusing them of being malicious. There's often a good reason about it. I really don't appreciate you bringing my character into question with your misinformed accusations.

Last edited:

Back