News   May 10, 2024
 109     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 576     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 855     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I've seen on the street news interviews of riders waiting at bus stops on Eglinton East, complaining that they don't know how they will manage to get to work if it snows since they will have to wait at an above ground LRT platform, rather than an underground subway station......

This same rider was getting on at Victoria Park and heading to the Yonge subway, and was just outraged that Ford's all underground plan was no longer going to be built, and it would make her trip an absolute nightmare, as if the hand full of intersections between VP and the tunneled section were going to make a difference of more that a few minutes while not being a drastic improvement over her current bus ride.

So yes, the objections to surface LRT are that irrational.

They should go to Rosedale and Davisville more often

I've seen on the street news interviews of riders waiting at bus stops on Eglinton East, complaining that they don't know how they will manage to get to work if it snows since they will have to wait at an above ground LRT platform, rather than an underground subway station......

This same rider was getting on at Victoria Park and heading to the Yonge subway, and was just outraged that Ford's all underground plan was no longer going to be built, and it would make her trip an absolute nightmare, as if the hand full of intersections between VP and the tunneled section were going to make a difference of more that a few minutes while not being a drastic improvement over her current bus ride.

So yes, the objections to surface LRT are that irrational.

+1

I've seen people get into a rage over the idea of having to stand outside in the winter. They wanted underground stations just like downtown and were willing to pay billions of dollars to do it. They're completely irrational.

Last edited:
This is what I would really like to see for the Victoria Park/Eglinton Square stop:

The LRT dips underground just west of Victoria Park, and the stop is in a pit in wedge of Victoria Park, Eglinton and Eglinton Square (which leads into O'Connor). It would then re-emerge on the surface near Pharmacy Avenue to serve it. That section of Eglinton has a number of lights, skipping two of them, especially Victoria Park, should speed operations while being cost-effective.

This is on Tram #26 in Amsterdam, on the newer (opened 2005) IJburg line. This is Reitlandpark, where there are escalators, stairs and elevators is very similar to what I (and others) would like to see.

Yes. This is exactly how transit money should be spent. Light Rail should be a cheaper form of rapid transit, not oversized streetcars.

I too think that grade-separating and consolidating Eglinton Square station would be very beneficial. The current design will inevitably have horrible transit priority due to the massive pedestrian crossing distances which limit responsiveness of the signal.

Based on City of Toronto standards, the response time would be:

27s pedestrian countdown (32m @ 1.2m/s)
3s amber
3s all-way red

Therefore it could be as long as 33 seconds between when a vehicle is detected and a green is provided. And that's assuming that transit is ensured the next phase, which is not the case on our existing median ROWs, which give a left-turn phase even when there is a transit vehicle waiting.

At 16m/s (58km/h), a vehicle would have to be detected 528 metres in advance of the stop bar in order to be guaranteed a green. The current design will probably give it around 5 metres. So there's a very good chance vehicles will spend a long time sitting around at red lights in this area.

I've seen people get into a rage over the idea of having to stand outside in the winter. They wanted underground stations just like downtown and were willing to pay billions of dollars to do it. They're completely irrational.

Irrational indeed. How can they assume that heating is dependent on being below ground? Do they live in caves?

This above-ground median transit stop in Markham is heated:
640px-West_Beaver_Creek_Vivastation_A03.jpg

This subway station (as with all subway other subway stations in Toronto) is NOT heated:
640px-BloorSubwayStation2.jpg

Last edited:
no they wouldn't. Systems like the London DLR would be widely accepted. People take issue with Eglinton stopping at traffic lights in the east end

This arguement coming from someone arguing about "uninformed masses opposing transit expansion because it doesn't affect them", you honestly think people oppose it because of streetlights? no, people oppose it because rob ford said it took away car lanes (which it doesn't) and will clog up the roads (which it won't), and don't bother to look into it. I can say right now, every person I have met that it opposed to LRT has no friggen clue about the details of the plans. I often have to explain that the roads will be widened for it, and where there is no space for widening it will go underground. they often then reverse their opinions, as it actually makes sense.

The hate for the Scarborough LRT is also the ultimate proof against this. Ford claimed it blocked traffic and would be slow (surprise surprise, it wouldn't!!!) and even though it would act exactly like an above ground subway, everyone wanted it gone because it is that god-foresaken LRT technology that must be evil because Ford said so! there were many legitimate reasons to support the subway alternative, but the "masses" didn't support the subway for those reasons. people don't have in depth levels of understanding of transit planning, and fords completely false sound bites are what they believe as truth and rally behind.

Last edited:
This arguement coming from someone arguing about "uninformed masses opposing transit expansion because it doesn't affect them", you honestly think people oppose it because of streetlights? no, people oppose it because rob ford said it took away car lanes (which it doesn't) and will clog up the roads (which it won't), and don't bother to look into it. I can say right now, every person I have met that it opposed to LRT has no friggen clue about the details of the plans. I often have to explain that the roads will be widened for it, and where there is no space for widening it will go underground. they often then reverse their opinions, as it actually makes sense.

The hate for the Scarborough LRT is also the ultimate proof against this. Ford claimed it blocked traffic and would be slow (surprise surprise, it wouldn't!!!) and would act exactly like an above ground subway, but nope, everyone wanted it gone because it is that god-foresaken LRT technology that must be evil be Ford said so! there were many legitimate reasons to support the subway alternative, but the "masses" didn't support the subway for those reasons. people don't have in depth levels of understanding of transit planning, and fords completely false sound bites are what they believe as truth and rally behind.

This is the sad truth.

Which is why we need to make the ECLRT a kick-ass example of what LRT can do. Show people that LRT =/= St. Clair Streetcar. And make them think again about why they insisted on spending billions of dollars to prevent it from being extended (as grade separated!) through Scarborough Centre into Malvern.

Last edited:

The hate for the Scarborough LRT is also the ultimate proof against this. Ford claimed it blocked traffic and would be slow (surprise surprise, it wouldn't!!!) and even though it would act exactly like an above ground subway, everyone wanted it gone because it is that god-foresaken LRT technology that must be evil because Ford said so! there were many legitimate reasons to support the subway alternative, but the "masses" didn't support the subway for those reasons. people don't have in depth levels of understanding of transit planning, and fords completely false sound bites are what they believe as truth and rally behind.

Facts! Facts? Who needs facts? We don't need no f***ng facts!

:cool:

They should go to Rosedale and Davisville more often

Plus Eglinton West, Lawrence, Yorkdale and Wilson where the tracks are all outside. How much snow does Toronto get today? Its nothing like 30-40 years ago and people still act like it is. Perhaps a few snowfalls and thats it. Nevermind the weather not being as cold as i remember when i was a kid

But under www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/station-design - I do not see Weston listed yet the other stations up to Chaplin are shown

The Environmental Project Addendum is an update (see link) to the original EA. It specifies that Weston and Black Creek stops are to be replaced by a Mt. Dennis station. However, it needs to be reviewed for 30 days by the public and then approved by the powers-that-be to become official. So officially, they cannot show Mt. Dennis as the new terminal until by the end of November instead of Weston, even though we already know it will be.

Last edited:
The project twitter page posted a pic of them removing old steel beams from the old Eglinton West subway line.

It's now very clear where the stations are and where the stops are. I still think they should have ended the tunnel at Don Mills. It seems a more natural endpoint for the tunnelled portion.

Back