News   May 01, 2024
 63     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.2K     5 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I am scratching my head about what kind of work ought to wait until spring. Construction seems to mostly continue with winter temperatures, certainly concrete can continue to be poured with the right measures and protection. But frozen ground does change some things.

- Paul
Maybe they have to wait until underground water is flowing freely to see where the leaks are in the stations and tunnels so they can fix them.

Frozen ground requires more effector and labour work, but can be done at a higher cost doing so.

Look at how they built the Finch guideway and trackwork where tents where built over it with heaters being used to keep things warm.

They are currently doing the heating on Mississauga guideway at Eglinton for the Hurontario LRT as well at a number of other locations with tarp over the areas.

Text: Officials say one of the emerging issues that has come up with construction is new water drainage issues (something they say isn’t uncommon with deep tunnels). They say they’ve had to create new channels to redirect small water streams into drainage systems.

Text: We repeatedly asked Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster about opening date. He reiterated one wouldn’t be given until three months before opening, citing ongoing tests/commissioning and rectifying defects. Staff noted final track fixes need to occur in hotter months (sounds like late ‘24)

my gosh this project has dragged on too long. Beyond bad and countless black eyes for Metrolinx. Definitely a lot of noise when TYSSE went months late. Surprised not as much noise when it's Crosstown being many years overdue.

What other serious issues were there that they said would be revealed? I can hardly believe a few water drips in the ceilings would paralyze and entire line

Well, you could use heaters to fix the track?

I watched this recent video on continuous welded rail. They weld the track at higher temperatures so there's less chance of buckling at high temperatures.

my gosh this project has dragged on too long. Beyond bad and countless black eyes for Metrolinx. Definitely a lot of noise when TYSSE went months late. Surprised not as much noise when it's Crosstown being many years overdue.
is this true, that there was more noise for TYSSE? why is that?

monthly reminder that the 2020 date that the news LOVES repeating is just straight not true.

the contracted date was late 2021. that was before covid and all the lawsuits. add 6 months to a year for that.
Were still only like 1.5 year overtime on a 7 year project.

is this true, that there was more noise for TYSSE? why is that?

TYSSE had specific events that shut down construction... e.g. a fatality and a halt to reinforce a foundation at York U and a specific contractor problem at a particular station - which led to.a point in time where the project declared it was in trouble. And that last declaration led to engagement of an oversight consultant to implement corrective action. So yeah, that project generated specific news days and headlines. And senior executive departures.
In comparison, Crosstown is just a ketchup bottle that we keep shaking in hopes something will come out. They keep assuring us that it's great ketchup, but nothing seen yet.

- Paul

Opaque answer from an opaque rock. But I'd believe it to be a Metrolinx statement if you didn't tell me.
can ML release a list of at the very least their top 5 defects? so far they havent even elaborated on what the serious defects are that is preventing them from even soft launching.
its literally like asking for democracy from the CCP

Maybe they have to wait until underground water is flowing freely to see where the leaks are in the stations and tunnels so they can fix them.

Good point about the water flowing. That's been the apparent culprit for whatever wasn't right at Yonge. They may need time to gather proof that the design works. I even wondered if they need a year or two of measurement to be sure the entire underpinning won't shift or bend. There's no way the contractor will stick around for warranty work once that thing is signed off.

Edmonton built much of the guideways for their most recent line during the depths of winter, so it is very doable to finish up in bad weather.

- Paul

This is definitely the opposite. The crosstown is THE prime example of the over exaggeration of construction projects in Toronto taking 20 years to finish. Its become a literal meme in Toronto culture for years now which is why you don’t hear a lot of talk about it anymore.

Verster indirectly alluded that the earliest the line will open is the end of 2024. So essentially ladies and gentlemen, dont expect to ride this until 2025.

This is the most mismanaged clown of a project i've ever seen in my lifetime, and that's saying something because this city/province have screwed up badly on many infrastructure projects but yet this one easily takes the cake.

Verster indirectly alluded that the earliest the line will open is the end of 2024. So essentially ladies and gentlemen, dont expect to ride this until 2025.

This is the most mismanaged clown of a project i've ever seen in my lifetime, and that's saying something because this city/province have screwed up badly on many infrastructure projects but yet this one easily takes the cake.
Should be "city/province". The province took it over to show how to build projects "efficiently" and "inexpensively".

Back