News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I made this Google Maps comparison of the stop spacing of the Crosstown LRT with the Bloor-Danforth subway a few years ago and I updated it with the newest info from that graphic posted today:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...ll=43.706849,-79.400253&spn=0.133274,0.280495

Lemme know if you can see or if there's any errors. I used a slightly different marker for the SRT station minus Kennedy because they're not really part of the stop spacing comparison (I also left out all the west Bloor stations for the same reason).

Not being intimately familiar with this Eglinton, my opinion might not be that informative, but I think the stop spacing looks good.

On another note, when the Sheppard Victoria Park station gets build, and the Eglinton one gets built, we'll have 3 Victoria Park stations...

Good question. Future phase? Still being considered for first phase? Who knows?

I think it has to do with the fact that they have the full Underground EA complete from Keele till Laird so its more like a Phase 1A and 1B where they can get started on the TBMs and go from Keele till Laird. By the time they reach Laird, one hopes that the EA and design work has been completed for the work east of that to Kennedy...

And while all that is happening...the question is if they will tunnel west of Keele or do some of the options thrown around...(dont ask for sources...i read it somewhere)

I heard one plan was to have the train travel on surface level (emerge from the portal) on the north side and have Black Creek Drive elevated over the line and the Eglinton Ave intersection as well... I guess basically a highway interchange...(Ramps on south side?)...cheaper than tunneling so why not...

That would make sense because it would make the yard connection much easier than a complicated underground junction for an area so wide open! Then i guess the question is...do you need to TBM a short tunnel from the Georgetown Line till Jane? Because by the looks of it...a short cut and cover tunnel would suffice...especially if they plan to have a pocket track/crossover track before approaching Jane.

Summary of what i think they will do:
A) Keele to Laird TBM - EA approved
B) Laird to Kennedy TBM (C&C?)
C) West Portal to GO Line at Grade
D) GO Line to Jane C&C

I made this Google Maps comparison of the stop spacing of the Crosstown LRT with the Bloor-Danforth subway a few years ago and I updated it with the newest info from that graphic posted today:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...ll=43.706849,-79.400253&spn=0.133274,0.280495

Lemme know if you can see or if there's any errors. I used a slightly different marker for the SRT station minus Kennedy because they're not really part of the stop spacing comparison (I also left out all the west Bloor stations for the same reason).

Not being intimately familiar with this Eglinton, my opinion might not be that informative, but I think the stop spacing looks good.

On another note, when the Sheppard Victoria Park station gets build, and the Eglinton one gets built, we'll have 3 Victoria Park stations...

Cool. Just missing Bessarion Station on Sheppard (between Bayview and Leslie).

Cool. Just missing Bessarion Station on Sheppard (between Bayview and Leslie).

Oh yeah! Thank you.

I started to add in Sheppard stops just to compare too. Then I started thinking of adding in Y-U-S as well. Maybe another time.

BTW why is it "Bessarion" and not "Burbank"?

Also, I'd prefer "Sloane" over "Bermondsey".

Last edited:
BTW why is it "Bessarion" and not "Burbank"?

Also, I'd prefer "Sloane" over "Bermondsey".
"Bessarion" is probably uniquely named. "Burbank" sounds too generic (but then there are the "Lawrence" and "Wilson" stations on the Red Line in Chicago and "Lansdowne" station on the Canada Line in Vancouver.

I have been to the Beth Sholom Synagogue for the meeting. I asked a question regarding the frequency of the LRVs. They said "approximately 6 minutes." I also got autographs from Karen Stintz, Jack Collins (the person featured on the Metrolinx television commercial), and Mike Colle. I will be attending the July 5th meeting in the Forest Hill United Church with Mike Colle.

"Bessarion" is probably uniquely named. "Burbank" sounds too generic (but then there are the "Lawrence" and "Wilson" stations on the Red Line in Chicago and "Lansdowne" station on the Canada Line in Vancouver.

I have been to the Beth Sholom Synagogue for the meeting. I asked a question regarding the frequency of the LRVs. They said "approximately 6 minutes." I also got autographs from Karen Stintz, Jack Collins (the person featured on the Metrolinx television commercial), and Mike Colle. I will be attending the July 5th meeting in the Forest Hill United Church with Mike Colle.

But from the map it looks like Burbank is an arterial street, whereas Bessarion looks like a small street.

Does it matter what it looks like on the map? And is ANY of Sloan 4-lanes?

Your not really debating the naming for roads you've never seen are you?

1. Yes of course it matters! On a map (or at least on Google maps) a street is white if it's regular, yellow if it's arterial. IIRC Burbank is yellow, Bessarion is white.
2. No idea. As I mentioned, I just like the name better.
3. Why can't I have an opinion as to which name I'd prefer for a subway/LRT station? Why should Toronto have to settle for mediocre names? We could be a world-class city if it weren't for names like "Bessarion" and "Bermondsey".

That said, I'll compromise with you. We keep Bessarion, but we'll change Bermondsey to Sloane.

(Does the name of the station depend on which side of the road the station is on?)

3. Why can't I have an opinion as to which name I'd prefer for a subway/LRT station? Why should Toronto have to settle for mediocre names? We could be a world-class city if it weren't for names like "Bessarion" and "Bermondsey".
Oh, it's just about which name you like?

Actually, I can respect that. But really ... you prefer Sloan to Bermondsey? Bermondsey is such a great name - such a wonderful Anglo-Saxon name with great history. And while I don't really now the history of Bessarion - it just sounds like such a wonderful name, compared to Burbank ... Burbank sounds so tacky ... the kind of place you'd tape game shows.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/presentations/Crosstown_Station_Presentation.pdf

Not surprised to see Ellesmere go.

Granted, this isn't finalised, but I would think gives a fairly good picture.

Wow I was basically dead on. Wouldn't have expected them to cut Ellesmere though since it's already built. Overall I think I'm okay with this station spacing. Certainly could have been worse.

Lemme know if you can see or if there's any errors.

I don't believe there's a Birchmount station in the Sheppard plan (although there certainly should be) Otherwise looks good.

There are going to be a lot of station duplicates if both lines ever get built all the way out. We'll have two Keeles, two Dufferins, three Bathursts, two Bayviews, two Leslies, two Don Millses, three Victoria Parks, and three Wardens. The TTC is actually going to have to come up with some kind of naming strategy if they want people to be able to navigate the system.

What would be wrong with Warden@Eglinton or Warden@Sheppard? Wouldnt that be the easiest solution?

The TTC doesn't like double names outside of interchange stations. They considered calling the future Finch West "Keele-Finch" but said that people would be too prone to misspell or mispronounce the name.

Well then its the TTC thats causing confusion.. Should they rename Don Mills to Fairview then? This would allow them to name don mills and Eglinton, DON MILLS. As for Victoria Park on sheppard maybe Johnnys hamburgers could buy the stations naming rights and build a ORANGE station that sells Johnnys Burgers from the inside Platform... Then we could call Victoria Park and Eglinton, THe STATIONS WITH THE LADY OUTSIDE ON A BILLBOARD ON A SWING.

Maybe that's how we deal with naming rights. We leave the Danforth station as Victoria Park, and we call the new Eglinton line station "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and the new Sheppard line station "Coffee Time" - assuming we can hit them up for a few $million each.

Well then its the TTC thats causing confusion..

Well no not really. They're trying to minimize the use of double names because they believe they would be confusing. I agree, honestly. I think giving each station a unique name (even if it's just something as simple as Street Name + Cardinal Direction) is going to make navigation much easier.

Back