News   May 17, 2024
 964     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 601     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.9K     7 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Yes, but this Ryerson student says that Dundas station is on the Yonge line.

I think of it as a community college because it was when I went to post secondary. Of course, the school has grown to have many disciplines outside of the narrow confines of a traditional university and Sheldon Levy has built it into a school with a huge physical presence, and significant financial backing. Maybe I'll have time for a course or two some day.

I think of it as a community college because it was when I went to post secondary. Of course, the school has grown to have many disciplines outside of the narrow confines of a traditional university and Sheldon Levy has built it into a school with a huge physical presence, and significant financial backing. Maybe I'll have time for a course or two some day.
Ryerson today is very different from the Ryerson my dad graduated from in the 90s.

It very much has a university vibe, many programs are well respected (Urban Planning school for instance is among the best in Canada), and I definitely don't feel any shame going here instead of say, UofT.

Don't know why they didn't name "St. George" Station after the "University of Toronto", if they named a station after "York University"?
Because this is a more recent thing to name stations after a destination, though i would not consider York university a destination. St george is called that because its the name of the cross street to Bloor which makes sense as do the other stations that are named for the cross streets

Don't know why they didn't name "St. George" Station after the "University of Toronto", if they named a station after "York University"?

Several stations border U of T downtown campus though (St Patrick, Queens Park, Museum, St George, Spadina and Bay). Hard to give the distinction of "University of Toronto" to any one station under such circumstances.

At least with York University station it runs through the heart of the campus.

I thought Osgoode was named after the law school right at Queen and University. St Andrew and St Patrick are each in honour of the respective area Wards they inhabit.
Yes, Osgoode was named after the law school. St. Patrick and St. Andrew are named after their respective wards, which in turn were named after the churches located there.

It would have been interesting if there were a St. David station.

Yes, Osgoode was named after the law school. St. Patrick and St. Andrew are named after their respective wards, which in turn were named after the churches located there.

It would have been interesting if there were a St. David station.

It would have made the Welsh happy! St. David is the patron saint of Wales. (St. George: England; St. Andrew: Scotland; St. Patrick: Ireland)

Because this is a more recent thing to name stations after a destination, though i would not consider York university a destination. St george is called that because its the name of the cross street to Bloor which makes sense as do the other stations that are named for the cross streets

College station indirectly references the University of Toronto in a sense too.

It would have made the Welsh happy! St. David is the patron saint of Wales. (St. George: England; St. Andrew: Scotland; St. Patrick: Ireland)

Perhaps they could re-name Donlands station as St. David's Anglican church is right across the street from the entrance. Just kidding of course and yes, I know we've wandered waaaaaay off topic so I'll stop - promise.

Ryerson was never a community college. It was a degree-granting Polytechnic Institute before it became a full-fledged university. Polytechnics - and there are many in North America, sometimes called "Institutes of Technology - are not, and never were, the same things as community colleges, like Sheridan, Humber, and Seneca.

Osgoode, St Andrew and St Patrick were named after churches, apparently.

Not quite. That is probably the case for St. Andrew, though it was also the name of one of the old wards. Osgoode was named for Osgoode Hall (not the law school, which was named for the building and later moved up to York U).. There's a St. Patrick Church, but the station sits where Dundas Street used to be called St. Patrick Street. (Dundas Street used end at Queen and Ossington, and was extended east in the early 20th century, via Arthur Street, St. Patrick Street, Agnes Street and Wilton Avenue. William Street was then renamed St. Patrick Street)

Ryerson was never a community college. It was a degree-granting Polytechnic Institute before it became a full-fledged university. Polytechnics - and there are many in North America, sometimes called "Institutes of Technology - are not, and never were, the same things as community colleges, like Sheridan, Humber, and Seneca.

Tell that to anyone 40 years+ older in Toronto.

The looks on their faces when I tell them I have a masters degree from Ryerson... priceless.

Back