News   May 22, 2024
 762     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 597     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 440     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The SRT is already planned to be underground at this location according to the current plans. But I don't see the advantage of removing the bridge considering that the GO line would have to be lowered and the Eglinton LRT stop would be for further away from the subway stop.

I definitely admit that if you are already in a car than what's the advantage of all this demolition expense, not to mention lowering the GO? But if you are a resident near this location, perhaps you see the advantage as getting rid of a wall that separates eastern and western parts of Englinton. Toronto loves to deride the strip-mall car-loving character of Scarborough but it's structures like this that cause that character to survive. Unlike Eglinton at the Don Valley, all obstacles to pedestrian and bike travel and associated development here are manmade.

I definitely admit that if you are already in a car than what's the advantage of all this demolition expense, not to mention lowering the GO? But if you are a resident near this location, perhaps you see the advantage as getting rid of a wall that separates eastern and western parts of Englinton. Toronto loves to deride the strip-mall car-loving character of Scarborough but it's structures like this that cause that character to survive. Unlike Eglinton at the Don Valley, all obstacles to pedestrian and bike travel and associated development here are manmade.

I do think you have a point that the street and the area would be improved if the bridge was no longer there, but the overall benefit is likely not worth it.

That bridge looks about 30m wide and 300m long. I would guess that it would cost about $100M to replace it with a similar overpass to what is there now. To switch this to a "subway", where the road goes under the rail, it would probably be twice that amount, especially since traffic (road and rail) must be maintained during the operation.

Also, whether the subway is extended or not, I think there are tail tracks to the TTC subway there (I still have not figured out exactly where the existing Kennedy subway station is and the extent of the tail tracks) so the railway line could probably not be depressed enough and it would still wind up being a partial overpass - maybe a bit shorter and lower bridge.

Also, whether the subway is extended or not, I think there are tail tracks to the TTC subway there (I still have not figured out exactly where the existing Kennedy subway station is and the extent of the tail tracks) so the railway line could probably not be depressed enough and it would still wind up being a partial overpass - maybe a bit shorter and lower bridge.
It's hard to find a figure with the tail tracks on, but they appear are shown in Appendix A-1 of the SRT Environmental Project Report in Exhibit 1, along with the 15 proposed configurations for the LRT at Kennedy station. It would appear that they don't quite get to Eglinton, but extend far past the GO platform. Probably to just before Town Haven Place, judging by the huge grating I can see in the grass, in Streetview.

The stations will be important public spaces in their respective neighbourhoods. I don't see the design ideas as suburban at all. On the exterior, the stations will have entrance pavilions, but they're supposed to fit into the streetscape as well. Many of the Bloor line stations take up a block of space behind Bloor Street to accommodate bus platforms, and the Eglinton line stations will be more urban in this regard, with transfers to buses taking place on the street with shelter structures.
They may take up a block but behind Bloor, not on Bloor. How important public spaces will they be? It will be people waiting for buses or seeing people going down escalators to take LRT. We need to see this? I would rather see a Starbucks

s0065_fl0180_it0001.jpg

Eglinton & Dufferin, 1924

f1244_it2431.jpg

Site of the Weston/Mt. Dennis station of the Crosstown LRT.

s0071_it7072.jpg

Eglinton looking west, from Bicknell Avenue, towards Black Creek, just west of Keele Street, 1929

s0071_it7070.jpg

Eglinton Avenue, east of Weston Road, looking east towards site of the Weston/Mt. Dennis station of the Crosstown LRT

The proposed western terminal for the Crosstown LRT at the Jane Street stop, looking west.
7422066518_c183220ed8_b.jpg

Looking east from the proposed western terminal at Jane Street.
7422065332_7708fe212a_b.jpg

Looking west towards the proposed western terminal at the Jane Street stop.
7422073462_0c49f59cf4_b.jpg

Looking east on Eglinton Avenue West, up the hill towards Mt. Dennis and Weston Road. Possible portal to go underground?
7422077526_b6e20c6576_b.jpg

Looking east on Eglinton Avenue West towards Weston Road, from Guestville Avenue.
7422082058_939be6f02b_b.jpg

Looking east towards the railway tracks, where the proposed Mt. Dennis/Weston Road underground station could be located on the north side of Eglinton Avenue West.
7422083924_ee2741df8d_b.jpg

The grove of trees on the north of Eglinton Avenue West where there could be an entrance to the Mt. Dennis/Weston Road underground station.
7422088440_8d9a9315a9_b.jpg

Under the railway, behind the retaining wall, where the proposed Mt. Dennis/Weston Road underground station could be located.
7422090060_32f2f8b01e_b.jpg

The Kodak building to be reused. Behind that retaining wall and hidden from view, could be the entry tracks to the Maintenance & Storage Facility.
7422096482_119ca23b41_b.jpg

Photography Drive bridge over Eglinton Avenue West to reach the existing Kodak building and possible future bus terminal and the Maintenance & Storage Facility.
7422131036_4800d0ed02_b.jpg

Black Creek Drive at Eglinton Avenue West. There could be a bridge going over Black Creek Drive for the Crosstown LRT.
7422102524_a1ccf6035d_b.jpg

Looking east from Black Creek towards the Launch Shaft Construction for Tunnelling next to Keelesdale Park at Eglinton Avenue West. The LRVs should be exiting a portal, then shifting to the north side of Eglinton Avenue West as they approach the bridge over Black Creek and Black Creek Drive.
7422112044_f93b73758c_b.jpg

Launch Shaft Site for tunnelling construction.
7422127962_4799e58390_b.jpg

Many thanks for these informative - and very well annotated - photos, W.K. Pardon my tongue-in-cheek cynicism, but I'm also of the mind that the recent alignment proposal is an almost unbelievable triumph of common sense.

Many thanks for these informative - and very well annotated - photos, W.K. Pardon my tongue-in-cheek cynicism, but I'm also of the mind that the recent alignment proposal is an almost unbelievable triumph of common sense.

Hopefully lightning will strike twice and the same common sense is applied to the design of the eastern portal through to Don Mills

It is proposed that the following TTC routes will serve the new terminal:

19 Jane South (new)
89 Weston (local southbound)
32 Eglinton West
161 Rogers Rd.
35 Jane
168 Symington
35E Jane Express
170 Emmett (new)
71 Runnymede
171 Mount Dennis
89 Weston (local northbound)
TTC Wheel-Trans

This would be the perfect opportunity to rationalize bus service along Weston road. End the 89 here and divert the 165 here instead of York Mills. Doesn't look like they will though.

This would be the perfect opportunity to rationalize bus service along Weston road. End the 89 here and divert the 165 here instead of York Mills. Doesn't look like they will though.

I had thought the 165 Weston North only went to the Wilson Station on the Spadina line. Thanks for pointing that out. Stand corrected.

I agree with changing the 165 Weston North route to have it terminate at the Mt. Dennis/Weston Road Station on the Crosstown LRT. It would cut some travel time for most through riders, though some maybe inconvenienced if they needed to stay on Wilson Avenue. The turns at the Weston/Albion/Wilson intersection currently take the 165 buses, what seems like, forever to make. The route change would also cut distance to a rapid transit line from 7.2 km (to Wilson Station) to 5.4 km (to Mt. Dennis/Weston Road Station).

Then again, the TTC could keep the 89 Weston bus as it is now providing local service, but change the 165 Weston North into an express bus south of Wilson, stopping at (Church?), Lawrence, Jane, and Mt. Dennis/Weston Station.

I had thought that the 58 Malton bus could also be rerouted from its current terminal at the Lawrence West Station on the Spadina line. It could take over the current 32C Eglinton West via Trethewey route to reach the Keele Station on the Crosstown LRT.

The only problem, I see at the moment, is how the buses are to return back up Weston Road from the bus terminal at Mt. Dennis/Weston Station. Getting to the bus terminal, the buses will most likely use Photography Drive, passing the No Frills store along the way. Getting back, I see two options. One, reusing Keelesdale Drive (east of the connecting tracks to the MSF, but west of Black Creek Drive) to connect with Eglinton Avenue West and continuing up Weston Road. Two, going throught the MSF to use Ray Avenue to connect with Weston Road and continuing north from there.

Last edited:
sorry if this has been asked before, but are the tunnels large enough that this line could be upgraded to full subway at some point in the future?

Back