News   May 22, 2024
 810     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 638     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 459     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

An interesting tweet from Josh Matlow earlier this evening:

Eglinton & Finch LRTs decided on Feb 8. Sheppard LRT will be approved tomorrow. Action on DRL, Eglinton Crosstown-Airport & more coming soon.

Is Josh hinting that after council confirms support for the Sheppard East LRT, they are going to start looking at further Transit City phases (such as extending the Eglinton line to the airport) and other projects like the DRL?

Additional funding tools for future projects???

Man, reading this is like reading MacRumors.com in the lead up to a product launch. Speculation flying everywhere, with only partial information available. Love it!

gweed:

Issey Miyake Turtlenecks and Reality Distortion Fields (tm) optional. On the bright side, if what Josh Matlow tweeted pans out it'd be great news indeed.

AoD

@ W. K. Lis:

Thanks for the clarification, W. K. It would seem the characterization of 501 @ Queensway as close to a modern LRT leaves a bit to be desired.

To your second point, I continue to shake my head at the fact that standard, international streetcar signals are not used on, say, Spadina. Granted, this would probably have to be part of a decision to convert the entire legacy streetcar network?

gweed:

Issey Miyake Turtlenecks and Reality Distortion Fields (tm) optional. On the bright side, if what Josh Matlow tweeted pans out it'd be great news indeed.

AoD

It'd be bittersweet. Sacrifice Sheppard to get DRL & an Airport link. Not my idea of smart planning.

Eglinton & Finch LRTs decided on Feb 8. Sheppard LRT will be approved tomorrow. Action on DRL, Eglinton Crosstown-Airport & more coming soon.

Is Josh hinting that after council confirms support for the Sheppard East LRT, they are going to start looking at further Transit City phases (such as extending the Eglinton line to the airport) and other projects like the DRL?

Yes. Looks like Eglinton will be built in full.

Of course the long-haul riders would switch, if the subway was longer.

A Finch rider is not going to get off the Finch bus, transfer to a bus to travel south, transfer the the subway, and then have to travel back north to continue their trip along Finch. It's just nothing to happen. You guys are making a false assumption a rapid transit is attractive to riders. It's not, if it means a unnecessary transfers.
eg, even if the Sheppard Subway was extended past Don Mills, why would a Finch Rider going past Kennedy use the Sheppard Subway?

I live close to the Steeles / Bathurst highrise cluster. Do you think more people take bus 60 (4 km to Yonge subway), or bus 7 all the way down Bathurst (14 km to Bloor subway)? Bus 60 often gets jam-packed during the AM / PM peaks.

That's not the point I am making. The Yonge subway goes right into the core, whereas the Bathurst Bus does not. It's a poor comparison.

Don't get your hopes up. This is about the 700th time the city has looked at building the DRL.

Its kinda curious that they are already talking about the other Transit City lines and the DRL considering that there is no funding for the projects.

I'm assuming that your talking about building it to the airport. What makes you think that its being built in full? Matlow's tweet is the first time I've heard of an extension to the airport being built in a long time.

They can bring that vote after sheppard.I think Matlow will bring it to council.

There might be the intent, but the go ahead won't happen for a long while - the funding tools aren't even properly discussed, much less approved.

AoD

There might be the intent, but the go ahead won't happen for a long while - the funding tools aren't even properly discussed, much less approved.

AoD

Some pro-Ford councillors were planning to discuss increasing taxes to pay for Mr. Ford's transit plan recently. If council is seriously considering the DRL the funding issue will likely be brought to council in the coming weeks.

If the DRL issue is brought to council I could see Rob Ford and other Scarborough councillor saying that the DRL is just another example of the leftist pinko downtown elites stealing transit from Scarborough. For whatever reason many people from Scarborough seem to think that downtowners hate them. The funny thing about that is that the DRL would benefit Scarborough the most as it would give them quick access to the downtown core.

Back