News   Jun 04, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 716     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 554     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Actually the heating mechanisms are not expensive. 2 years ago Vancouver got POUNDED over the holidays with 60 cm of snow and the temps were cold enough that the snow didn't melt for three weeks. Even in Toronto 50 cm is a very major snowfall but not once did the SkyTrain stop running. They simply has one of the MK1 cars run all night on the route to keep the line clear and when the system is automated it costs bery little.
The MK111 trains also don't have the vibration and noise of the MK1 due to better suspension and weighing more as they are the length of 3 MK1 cars. The new trains are a completely differewnt animal from the crates Toronto runs.

uh not quite, it snowed less than a foot and it stuck around for a couple days... quit exaggerating

The blame for Toronto's ICTS problems lies not with the TTC, but with an Ontario government from several decades ago for inventing the piece of junk in the first place.

Of course Vancouver's is better. Toronto got the beta version and Vancouver got the version with all the bugs worked out from Toronto's experience.

The blame for Toronto's ICTS problems lies not with the TTC, but with an Ontario government from several decades ago for inventing the piece of junk in the first place.

Of course Vancouver's is better. Toronto got the beta version and Vancouver got the version with all the bugs worked out from Toronto's experience.

If the bugs are mostly worked out, then Toronto is foolish for not considering its use. Others are profitting from Ontario's initial investments and bad experiences.

uh not quite, it snowed less than a foot and it stuck around for a couple days... quit exaggerating

I don't know what part of Vancouver you were in but the snow was up to my knees. It started around the 20th and the streets weren't totally cleared til mid January.
As I have always extending the SRT along Eglinton is not only the cheapest option but also the fastest. Only in Toronot would someone even consider replacing a 6 km system with another 6km system that runs slower with lower capacity.
This idea that Toronto "doesn't have the funds" is crap. No other city on the planet gets $8.2 billion given to them for mass/rapid transit and are not asked to contribute one dime. Then again only in Toronto would you get only 20km of new transit for $8.2 billion.

Then again only in Toronto would you get only 20km of new transit for $8.2 billion.
Last time I checked, the plan that gave us only 20 km of new transit for $8.2 billion was only a proposal by Mayor Rob Ford - which clearly wasn't a serious proposal, as he never even bothered to send it to council for approval. What council approved in 2009, 2010, and confirmed this year, is 61 km (for Phase I) for that price - as shown on the TTC website - www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/Transit_city/Current_Projects/index.jsp

Which seems like a bargain, compared to projects in other big cities - such as the Second Avenue subway in New York City which is only 13.7 km and budget at US$17 billion - and Crossrail in London which adds 21 km of new service through central London (and adds service to existing track) for £15.9 billion (CAN$ 25 billion).

Here 's SkyTrain's Snow Plan for the TransLink Buzzer Blog - dated 2009 - the last big snowfall:

http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2009/01/skytrains-snow-plan/

SkyTrain’s Snow Plan

SkyTrain has developed its Snow Plan for dealing with moderate to heavy snowfalls based on experience gained in past incidents of bad weather, where post incident reviews have identified ways to keep the system operating as reliably as possible.

Each severe weather incident brings a new set of conditions and, as such, the Snow Plan is constantly under review and being refined.

As a result of this ongoing effort, SkyTrain is more resilient now than in the past, when conditions not as severe as those experienced in recent days resulted in a total shut down of the system.

Purpose of the Snow Plan

SkyTrain’s Snow Plan involves preparations that are made when there is a likelihood of significant snowfalls. It also includes specific responses designed to maintain service.

SkyTrain Snow Plan Summary

Alert I – Applicable if unpredicted snowfall occurs in higher elevation locations but is not predicted to continue or accumulate more than 5cm.
•Objectives for the system are defined…number of trains targeted to be in service and the frequency of service
•Plans are made to prepare to call out extra staff for station staffing, maintenance, snow clearing, as required

Alert II – Applicable with 12 or more hours notice of snow or frozen rain
•Snow clearing equipment and de-icing materials are checked and replenished
•Additional staff are called in
•De-icing trains are prepared
•Snow removal staff are placed on notice

Stage 1 – Applicable upon forecast of continued snowfall with accumulations greater than 5cm, within 12 hours
•A Snow Manager, is identified a the senior contact responsible for service level authorization and to ensure timely and effective Snow Plan activities are implemented
•Track switch heaters are activated
•De-icing trains are operated as necessary
•Additional staff are called in to support operations and maintenance activities
•Snow Clearing equipment is pre-positioned as required

Stage 2 – Applicable when snow begins to accumulate
•If necessary, track intrusion detection systems are disabled and attendants are positioned at platform level in the station or, onboard trains in the front end
•Snow Clearing activities commence
•Maintenance staff are positioned in critical locations for faster response to issues
•Snow Trains are prepared for overnight running to keep tracks clear
•Fewer, but longer trains may be operated depending on extent of snow
•De-icing activities continue as needed

Stage 3 – Applicable when operational difficulties continuously affect normal operations
•Longer trains are operated
•Service levels adjusted as necessary
•Additional maintenance staff are positioned throughout the system
•Trains may be stored in tunnels overnight to keep them warm and snow-free
•Snow Trains continue to run
•SkyTrain Attendants now ride each train in service to monitor the tracks and, if necessary, to drive the train manually.
•Technical staff is available 24 hours a day to attend to any problems

Stage 4 – Applicable when extensive operational difficulties prevent the safe operation of service
•Snowfalls and accumulations that are so severe that passenger or system safety is compromised will result in suspending all operations until conditions improve.

Note that "Snow Trains" are trains that run continuously overnight to clear snow off the reaction plates and rails.

Note that BOTH SkyTrain (linear induction) and Canada Line (rotary motors) have had "wheel slip" issues in the past year. SkyTrain's were due to leaves ground into a slippery paste on the tracks. Not sure if Canada Line's was the same or due to slippage on ice.

Last edited:
As I have always extending the SRT along Eglinton is not only the cheapest option but also the fastest. Only in Toronot would someone even consider replacing a 6 km system with another 6km system that runs slower with lower capacity.

The conversion to LRT would run the same speed and have higher capacity. I've corrected you on this before, so there's really no excuse to be spouting such lies.

Yes, LRT will have higher capacity if they run 3 car trains. 3 car trains of MK111 {which is 100 meters the length of the new underground stations} will have higher capacity due to faster de/acceleration.

Yes, LRT will have higher capacity if they run 3 car trains. 3 car trains of MK111 {which is 100 meters the length of the new underground stations} will have higher capacity due to faster de/acceleration.

I would be interested in seeing the acceleration curve for the Eglinton LRVs since you have that information.

Should be noted that the low-floor light rail vehicles are to be WIDER than both the TTC's current and coming streetcars AND the Montréal Metro train cars. So if they go the the maximum length (5), the LRV's could carry more passengers than the Montréal Metro trains because of their width.

Should be noted that the low-floor light rail vehicles are to be WIDER than both the TTC's current and coming streetcars AND the Montréal Metro train cars. So if they go the the maximum length (5), the LRV's could carry more passengers than the Montréal Metro trains because of their width.

Hold on, now: there's more to a vehicle's capacity than its width. A Montreal subway car probably has superior internal circulation than a low-floor LRV, because it's a high floor vehicle where a large portion of its area isn't constrained by the placement of the trucks. It's not just that the trucks cut down the amount of space, but the narrow gangway they produce in places restricts the ability for people to move around the car as it begins to fill up. What I've tended to notice from riding low floor LRVs in other cities is that people congregate near the doors as they would in a very crowded articulated low floor bus, and, like a bus, don't redistribute themselves as more passengers come on board.

Exactly. This is part of the folly in a fully grade separated low-floor standard gauge LRT line in Toronto. Greater excavation, greater vehicle cost, lower capacity compared to high floor vehicles of the same size, and no interoperability with existing lines.

When I went to the open house for the design of the keele station I asked about the width of the LRT (because they looked just like streetcars in the design and I wanted to get a comparison of the size of an LRT to the streetcar). I was told that the LRT will have the same width as the streetcar which surprised me. How is it possible that these people are suppose to be in the know and now I am doubting what was said.

When I went to the open house for the design of the keele station I asked about the width of the LRT (because they looked just like streetcars in the design and I wanted to get a comparison of the size of an LRT to the streetcar). I was told that the LRT will have the same width as the streetcar which surprised me. How is it possible that these people are suppose to be in the know and now I am doubting what was said.

I recall a 4" difference in width, but I can not find the source now.

Back