6.3K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 423     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Sorry for another off topic post, but:

McGuinty rules out coalition governnent [sic]

In a letter obtained by The Canadian Press on Sunday, the premier tells Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak that he won't be making any deals to form a government.
It's not entirely off-topic, as a Hudak government would likely spell the death of the Eglinton line ... that's $8-billion that they can take and spend in places other than Toronto. They've already made it clear that they want to kill Transit City and get rid of Toronto's new streetcars.

I've always figured the most likely placed you'd find a coalition government would be between the NDP and the Tories. I think the only way the NDP would support a Tory government instead of a Liberal one would be some kind of power in a coalition.

Still the whole thing is a bit of a red herring. Ontario has had minority governments over the years - but we haven't had a coalition government since the UFO-led one with Labour after the 1919 election.

BTW what would this mean for the SRT?
Heres the NEW SRT for you!
347789298_9f219f2388.jpg

It's not entirely off-topic, as a Hudak government would likely spell the death of the Eglinton line ... that's $8-billion that they can take and spend in places other than Toronto. They've already made it clear that they want to kill Transit City and get rid of Toronto's new streetcars.

I've always figured the most likely placed you'd find a coalition government would be between the NDP and the Tories. I think the only way the NDP would support a Tory government instead of a Liberal one would be some kind of power in a coalition.

Still the whole thing is a bit of a red herring. Ontario has had minority governments over the years - but we haven't had a coalition government since the UFO-led one with Labour after the 1919 election.

I think that if a Minority were to be elected, the NDP would side with the Liberals well ahead of siding with the PCs. The ideological differences are much smaller. Plus I think the Liberals would be more willing to compromise, and maybe even give the NDP a couple cabinet posts.

I envision a Liberal/NDP coalition being somewhat a hybrid minority/majority government. On average issues, they vote as separate parties, voting for their own interests. But on matters of Confidence (ie the budget), they would vote as one. Naturally the budget would contain some measures that the NDP would want in exchange for their support.

^ Thank god Bombardier doesn't make those or they would be on order next week.
TC resurrected.............I don't think so. If it ever does once again see the light of day I hope they will actually listen to the concerns people had over the system. Specifically I mean it's slow speed and having far too many station stops and the use of more under/overpasses where required at very busy left-hand turn roads.

I live maybe 5 houses in from Eglinton within 300 meters of Eglinton west station. I am watching this like a HAWK too.. I hope majority so we can get Transit CIty back on track..

Unofficial Liberal victory announced, if this goes official, then ECLRT should be good to go

ECLRT is an active project already. A Liberal victory likely protects ECLRT from cancellation risks.

I live maybe 5 houses in from Eglinton within 300 meters of Eglinton west station. I am watching this like a HAWK too.. I hope majority so we can get Transit CIty back on track..

McGuinty won't use his political capital to formally reinstate Transit City. Such level of the Provincial involvement into the City's matters is legally possible, but does not fit the traditional division of powers and would be pretty hard to explain to the general public (that does not see transit as the #1 issue anyway), or even to his own MPPs.

Rather, the today's elections outcome likely preserves the status quo. The ECLRT funding won't be transferred to Sheppard subway (Hudak could consider just that if he won), and Ford won't have ammunition to cancel the legacy-network streetcar contract.

With McGuinty's win, held up by the NDP and city councillors' newfound independence, it looks like the legacy streetcar order is safe and at least the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT guaranteed. It's finally going to get built.

Reverting to Transit City is not likely given how Metrolinx has already conceded to Rob Ford's unilateral decision to cancel the wider project. However, City Council will be voting on the issue as soon as it has financial implications (accepting/rejecting taking on financial penalties for breaking contracts) so it's possible that we may see yet another revision.

My preferred option would be a hybrid of the original Eglinton-Crosstown and the new one that becomes a Scarborough LRT. I'd like to see it above ground in the centre median East of Yonge where possible with funds saved from tunnelling forwarded to a Finch LRT as planned.

For Sheppard, I would like to see a subway, only because that's what we've begun building already. Make this an ongoing project in that case, 1 to 2 stations opening every 2 years, 50-50 with the province over a decade, the city portion being funded -- more realistically with lower costs, extended period -- by Ford's private deferred property taxes scheme.

I don't have a strong preference between Transit City and the current Ford Gravybahn plan, except in the sense that the former might have actually been substantially built, while the latter probably never will. But mostly I just think it's time to execute. Let's get something built. If that's a mostly underground Eglinton, so be it.

And I agree with you, MetroMan. I never really saw the point of the Sheppard East LRT. Sheppard certainly shouldn't be the lodestar of GTA-wide transit planning, as Ford seems to want it to be, but inasmuch as there's already half a subway there completing it eventually seems sensible, just not at the expense of the many, many more deserving projects.

I guess I always assumed after the Sheppard LRT was constructed that there would be a debate and eventually what would happen is that the current sunway would be converted to LRT to eliminate the transfer... I think the TRANSFER is what most people on sheppard HATED... There thought process must have been something like, I already have to transfer at Don mills! thats the worst part of my trip! now you are suggesting that it will be a permininent transfer!!!!! I think transit city would have been better off from the start saying that they were going to eliminate this transfer.

This is good news for the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT. Here's what I think is going to happen in the next couple of years:

1) The original tunnel section is going to go ahead as planned. By the time the next election rolls around, work will be substantially underway, to the point where cancelling it would be the biggest waste of money this province has ever seen. Ain't gonna happen.

2) Metrolinx and the TTC (aka McGuinty/Wynne and Ford) are going to "renegotiate" (and by that I mean McGuinty telling Ford to stick it) what happens with the Eglinton East section. I would imagine they're going to come up with some sort of a hybrid plan. Either at-grade, but ducking underneath intersections, or some sort of elevated line. It won't be completely at-grade, but it won't be completely tunnelled either.

3) The streetcar order is going to go through as planned. No way that the Liberals are going to piss away the money invested in that contract just to appease Ford, who at this point is a borderline lame duck mayor.

4) Road tolls can finally enter the discussion. With the next election likely being at least 3 years away, possibly the full 4, this would be a good time to implement road tolls. Although I'm also somewhat partial to delaying road tolls until the first round of infrastructure improvements (GO electrification, Eglinton LRT, Hurontario LRT, etc) are up and running, that way people at least have a viable alternative.

5) Unfortunately, the Sheppard LRT may be a go again. Either that, or the federal funding may be renegotiated to be shifted to Finch West. In which case, the combination of federal funding and the reduced cost of the Eglinton East section may be able to fund the FWLRT.

Just my two cents.

I think transit city would have been better off from the start saying that they were going to eliminate this transfer.
I don't see how this transfer is a big deal. You just walk off your train, and then onto the next one. You don't even have any stairs.

While not perfect, it seems a far site better than the current transfer. It seems to take forever to get from the platform at Don Mills, up to the buses. And it's not like a subway extension will be built anytime soon. Even if it is, many of the Sheppard users are going east of Kennedy and would have to transfer then.

Surely the Sheppard to Yonge extension is far more of an inconvenience.

I don't see how this transfer is a big deal. You just walk off your train, and then onto the next one. You don't even have any stairs.

While not perfect, it seems a far site better than the current transfer. It seems to take forever to get from the platform at Don Mills, up to the buses. And it's not like a subway extension will be built anytime soon. Even if it is, many of the Sheppard users are going east of Kennedy and would have to transfer then.

Surely the Sheppard to Yonge extension is far more of an inconvenience.

I think because we are educated about the transfer we realize being on the same platform it would be fairly easy. However it would still be a transfer.. More importantly most people arent educated on the top and probably assumed that the transfer involved more stairs.... SOME PEOPLE DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT TC WAS UNTIL IT WAS CANCELLED!!! thats how uneducated alot of people are.

Back