Toronto Core Condos | 84.12m | 24s | CentreCourt | P + S / IBI

98% sold (urbanation)

I was told by a Realtor that Core is pretty much sold out in a matter of days.
Not surprising considering its location and pricing - not cheap, but much more affordable than those $650-700/sf King West condos with fancy names.

That proposal is not possible on this site. The dimensions are not even close to being adequate.

won't happen even the dimension were adequate - almost too good for Toronto. We don't have a single public square as nice as this.
Toronto will continue thinking small and glass towers with banks and dry cleaners at the base will continue to dominate the market, lol.

I was told by a Realtor that Core is pretty much sold out in a matter of days.
Not surprising considering its location and pricing - not cheap, but much more affordable than those $650-700/sf King West condos with fancy names.

This building sold out in a matter of days because of its location? Well, let's look at its location a bit closer.

One block north of this condo you have the TCHC and co-op buildings on Dalhousie Street. Then 2 blocks east you have 2 centres for the homeless on Jarvis, along with another TCHC building. Then you have another TCHC building a block south on Mutual Street. A block south of Shutter, on Jarvis and you have another homeless shelter. Of course, we all know about the large homeless shelter on the other side of Moss Park, on Sherbourne. So any way you slice it, this development is surrounded by the poor and the homeless in just about every direction. (as well as the service centres they need) Not only that but this condo faces a huge, ugly parking lot, which I hope will be redeveloped soon. If my wish comes true, that means a lot of construction for years to come.

So why do I mention this? Because people on this site are always saying how Torontonians will never buy a condo in a so-called bad area, or beside a TCHC building or a homeless shelter and this proves they are wrong. I had this debate about Dundas Square Gardens development, which is a block from the TCHC buildings on Sherbourne. People will buy condos there too, just like they did at Pace. (Jarvis & Dundas)

All these new condos in these down-and-out areas, will only help to diversify the neighbourhood and make those areas feel safer. Those areas are going to get better and not worse, as some people claim. People with more money will bring in more upscale stores, restaurants and more development. These new condos will be very good for the development of the east side and I predict you will see huge improvements to the whole area, including lower crime stats, in the coming years.

Now will people just stop saying That condo will never sell because of.....

Last edited:
Does it really prove that wrong, or just that most people aren't very familar with the area ?

Well, maybe the foreign investors had no idea that this development is surrounded by the poor but yeah, it does prove that these kinds of developments will sell. Investors either don't care or they don't do any research but either way, it proves that there is a market for these condos and after enough of them go up, it won't matter because these areas will be transformed into mixed income neighbourhoods. The homeless and poor will not be so noticeable and you can bet, those middle class residents will be demanding more security, better sidewalks and more amenities. You move in people with money and all of a sudden, things start to change. That's how things work in this city. (well, in every city)

^ Torontovibe, when I say location, I meant distance to Yonge st, subway and all the retail one might need. I am fully aware the homeless issue surrounding it, but Core is not exactly located in the worst spot - it is still much west of Jarvis st, which I think is the defining boundary. If I had to choose between Shutter/Church vs. say somewhere in Parkdale or East York, I will chose Core without hesitation.

Foreign investors might not know the poverty there, but they won't live there. And given the convenient location I am 100% sure that it will rent well (consider JAZZ minutes south of it) and plenty of young people with limited spending power will enjoy living there too. Every time I walk past Moss Park, I was not so much bother by the homeless people but instead ashamed by how our city just neglected this area to such a condition - many buildings are in horrific shape, because we did nothing to improve it and make it safer looking. We sort of just forget it and always focus on somewhere already largely gentrified (King West, Bay for example). Is this the right way to run a city? Of course you can say it is all market driven, but it is not like the city can't do anything - relocating some shelters, giving tax incentive for projects there for example.

I fully agree with your argument here: that downtown bad neighbourhoods won't deter people from living there. If one constructs a 30s condo right smack at Queen/Sherbourne, people will buy at the right price. I also agree that project like this benefits the city tremendously by making those areas safer and more diverse. Toronto shouldn't have such downtown neighbourhoods so abandoned and neglected either from a social or financial perspective, which is why I feel happier about projects like Core, Pace and Dundas Square Garden than something much nicer and shinier in the entertainment district or Yorkville.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about "limited spending power" considering the rents these days. And who would share a 400 sq. ft. apartment?

Well, maybe the foreign investors had no idea that this development is surrounded by the poor but yeah, it does prove that these kinds of developments will sell. Investors either don't care or they don't do any research but either way, it proves that there is a market for these condos and after enough of them go up, it won't matter because these areas will be transformed into mixed income neighbourhoods. The homeless and poor will not be so noticeable and you can bet, those middle class residents will be demanding more security, better sidewalks and more amenities. You move in people with money and all of a sudden, things start to change. That's how things work in this city. (well, in every city)

Yes this area is still gritty, but investors see the benefit of being in close proximity to Ryerson and to transit.
The Merchandise Lofts which is just to the north was developed back in the late 90's which back then was even sketchier, but proved to be pretty successful and was one of the largest condo development at that time.

Toronto shouldn't have such downtown neighbourhoods so abandoned and neglected either from a social or financial perspective, which is why I feel happier about projects like Core, Pace and Dundas Square Garden than something much nicer and shinier in the entertainment district or Yorkville.

Yes, these projects will improve the neighbourhood. But know that Yorkville wasn't always 'Yorkville'. And I never thought that the Entertainment District (Clubland in the '90's) would ever be a good place to live until these past few years. But these things take time and patience. People must have very short memories of what downtown used to be like to live in. It is much better now in 2014. People are coming back into the core because it has become a desirable place to live. And those pioneers are to thank.

p.s. NYC was not always the Disney World that it is now.

^^ You mean Manhattan. I know parts of NYC that are still rather scary. There are parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx that still look and feel like war zones. I won't get out of the car in the South Bronx.

Yes, Manhattan specifically. I'm old enough to recall Times Square being a dump when I was a kid (i.e. before Disney moved in). My point is that a lot of world travelers make positive comments about other cities and don't realize that we are getting there, too. While I understand the concerns about our public realm, the more new residents that come to live in the downtown core the better that things will become. But over time. We still have some catch up to do.

Back