Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Toronto Model 04-28-24 Concord Sky.png

This notice is from February............ ummm, Concord.....showing a pattern here:

1716065418328.png

This had me checking and yup....... as at May 18/24 this project does not have any valid permit for above-grade construction.

Concord: “What!? We don’t need no stinkin’ permits!”

Is there actually any kind of penalty for this?

Yes.

Because right now it seems like Concord could care less, which wouldnt be surprising considering the gutter trash developer that they are.

Also yes.

And to provide a more fulsome answer:

1716224617332.png

For a project of this size, the cash penalties are immaterial.

The real consequences, if any are truly having to halt work up to several months and/or have to demolish what was built.

I would love to see the City employ the latter remedy here, but I'm not holding my breath.

As someone who has spent his career building structures throughout this country, I can tell you how frustrating it can be to get permits issued. Concord is taking a calculated risk here, time is money, especially in this interest rate environment. Trying to get bureaucrats to understand that is like pulling teeth!

As someone who has spent his career building structures throughout this country, I can tell you how frustrating it can be to get permits issued. Concord is taking a calculated risk here, time is money, especially in this interest rate environment. Trying to get bureaucrats to understand that is like pulling teeth!
Yup. $27,234.64 is far cheaper than months of delayed work, and accrued interest piling up.

Yes.

Also yes.

And to provide a more fulsome answer:

View attachment 565378

For a project of this size, the cash penalties are immaterial.

The real consequences, if any are truly having to halt work up to several months and/or have to demolish what was built.

I would love to see the City employ the latter remedy here, but I'm not holding my breath.
Great insight @Northern Light thanks for sharing.

Which leads me to the question of why the city has (presumably) not enforced anything yet seeing as this problem has been going on for months now. Although it's entirely possible there was a cash penalty levied, if the problem has been going on for this long then there should be a stricter punishment enforced here.

Back