Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

I'm loving the base too, and that last photo by current could become a new iconic photograph of Toronto.

I think the way the glass comes to an extreme corner and covers most of the facade on the west side will look fantastic when it's all put up.
2499924313_7748b22beb_b.jpg

I don't see why the next two (and much larger) towers will be any better. This tower isn't bad, but it's a pretty standard Clewes design.

Even if the next two towers are spectacular...this isn't the place for them.

Updating the landmark red brick Gooderham flat iron at Front and Wellington with a red brick podium building here was a clever conceit, and it plays off the sleek glass tower so nicely. A view terminus for the Esplanade - and, as Dane and others have pointed out, a signpost for the District as a whole. Thank goodness there's no overblown "spectacle" involved either - rather a minimalist "see through box" as MBS points out. Bravo!

Updating the landmark red brick Gooderham flat iron at Front and Wellington with a red brick podium building here was a clever conceit, and it plays off the sleek glass tower so nicely. A view terminus for the Esplanade - and, as Dane and others have pointed out, a signpost for the District as a whole. Thank goodness there's no overblown "spectacle" involved either - rather a minimalist "see through box" as MBS points out. Bravo!

I would say that dropping 30+, 40+ and 50+ storey buildings into the Distillery District certainly qualifies as "spectacle".

Oh no, spectacle is what Clewes refers to in the recent interview with John Bentley Mays as, "the desire of the middle class to be recognized as important, with something that has an individual expression." As you've already pointed out this is "a pretty standard Clewes design".

Oh no, spectacle is what Clewes refers to in the recent interview with John Bentley Mays as, "the desire of the middle class to be recognized as important, with something that has an individual expression." As you've already pointed out this is "a pretty standard Clewes design".

And these giant skyscrapers in a collection of 18th century Victorian Industrial Architecture don't qualify? I think they do.

The tower itself may not fit that category, but I think that the development as a whole certainly does.

Back