Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Today. Rooftop and interior.

0239D6A7-BBE4-4223-866F-64B4AC95A855.jpeg

6FB8503A-F5C5-4D4D-B1D0-DF08F0F2B1EC.jpeg

03C81AE5-F03A-4AF3-89DA-C9FB6768DA83.jpeg

12B73E61-0506-4F13-9EBB-E05C204C9D8D.jpeg

7D821383-D1E4-4084-B0A8-34339ADC0727.jpeg

337EB98D-BA90-46B6-BD61-5DACDC037939.jpeg

CAB885D9-F0A4-4BF1-B8FF-43D78D8F8143.jpeg

Best part of the project, by far (just all should have been a few more storeys up in the air).

From Cressy's newsletter:

Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre - Officially Open!​

I could not have been more excited to welcome everyone to enjoy the spectacular new Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre in CityPlace after this past weekend’s official ribbon-cutting event.

The Canoe Landing CRC is the last big puzzle piece for the area's master plan dating back to 1994, along with its attached neighbours: two elementary schools with capacity for 1,100 students together, and the child care centre with space for 52 kids.

CityPlace is a lesson in the importance of planning for public infrastructure ahead of growth. Dense, vertical neighbourhoods can be liveable, equitable, attractive places if we invest in libraries, schools, community spaces, parks & playgrounds, and affordable housing.

When you live in a condo or apartment, the local community centre is your living room. Starting in 2015, we held three public meetings and multiple working group sessions to make sure the Canoe Landing CRC served the unique needs of vertical living.

Based on community input, I allocated additional local funds to the budget to add a flexible space that opens and spills out onto the park. The Bentway will operate and program the space year-round, including a farmer's market.

The most exciting part of the new community centre for many families in small apartments will be the indoor playground designed with the Ontario Science Centre. No matter the weather, kids will have a place to go to play.

The community centre also has dance and fitness studios, multipurpose/meeting rooms, and a teaching kitchen – hosting a wide range of activities and programs responding to the community's needs and interests.

The spaces inside the community centre between the rooms, like the lobby, have been designed to welcome people to spend time, hang out, and socialize – a space outside the home that doesn't require a purchase to stay.

And let's not forget the rooftop, where Canoe Landing Community Centre has a track for running and walking, a community garden, and a basketball court with amazing views. In a neighbourhood as dense as CityPlace, we have to use every square foot.

Photo of Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre from above.

Working together with the school boards means no space is wasted inside or outside. The public facilities have a smaller footprint in a dense neighbourhood, and partnering on spaces like the gyms means more public amenities for the same investment.

In addition, the new school playground is open to the public outside regular school hours, expanding the existing park beside the community centre. And last summer our new children's play equipment by the splash pad opened.

Although the pandemic has postponed our ability to have a proper community celebration of this momentous milestone for CityPlace, I am truly looking forward to joining everyone in person next year for a BBQ in the park.

Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre is open to the public right now, following public health guidelines. Drop in during operating hours to check it out, or read up on facilities and programs online: https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/prd/facilities/complex/3643/index.html.

Drop in during operating hours to check it out, or read up on facilities and programs online: https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/prd/facilities/complex/3643/index.html.

Following the link............I find myself once again looking at PF&Rs odd ideas about appropriate hours...

1632345517466.png

So you want your teens to stay out of trouble, in a supervised setting, on a Saturday night? Errr......only til 8pm.

You want you to grab a morning workout before heading to work/school..........hope you don't start til 11am, seeing as they don't open til 8:30am

Lest anyone think I'm asking for something not done, recreation centres in many communities on Toronto's borders (Brampton, Pickering etc) are much better.

Typically not less than 6am-10pm, 7 days a week and sometimes 6am-midnight, 7 days a week.

Sigh.

Last edited:

I could not have been more excited to welcome everyone to enjoy the spectacular new Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre in CityPlace after this past weekend’s official ribbon-cutting event.

The Canoe Landing CRC is the last big puzzle piece for the area's master plan dating back to 1994, along with its attached neighbours: two elementary schools with capacity for 1,100 students together, and the child care centre with space for 52 kids.

CityPlace is a lesson in the importance of planning for public infrastructure ahead of growth. Dense, vertical neighbourhoods can be liveable, equitable, attractive places if we invest in libraries, schools, community spaces, parks & playgrounds, and affordable housing.

When you live in a condo or apartment, the local community centre is your living room. Starting in 2015, we held three public meetings and multiple working group sessions to make sure the Canoe Landing CRC served the unique needs of vertical living.

Based on community input, I allocated additional local funds to the budget to add a flexible space that opens and spills out onto the park. The Bentway will operate and program the space year-round, including a farmer's market.

The most exciting part of the new community centre for many families in small apartments will be the indoor playground designed with the Ontario Science Centre. No matter the weather, kids will have a place to go to play.

The community centre also has dance and fitness studios, multipurpose/meeting rooms, and a teaching kitchen – hosting a wide range of activities and programs responding to the community's needs and interests.

The spaces inside the community centre between the rooms, like the lobby, have been designed to welcome people to spend time, hang out, and socialize – a space outside the home that doesn't require a purchase to stay.

And let's not forget the rooftop, where Canoe Landing Community Centre has a track for running and walking, a community garden, and a basketball court with amazing views. In a neighbourhood as dense as CityPlace, we have to use every square foot.

Photo of Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre from above.

Working together with the school boards means no space is wasted inside or outside. The public facilities have a smaller footprint in a dense neighbourhood, and partnering on spaces like the gyms means more public amenities for the same investment.

In addition, the new school playground is open to the public outside regular school hours, expanding the existing park beside the community centre. And last summer our new children's play equipment by the splash pad opened.

Although the pandemic has postponed our ability to have a proper community celebration of this momentous milestone for CityPlace, I am truly looking forward to joining everyone in person next year for a BBQ in the park.

Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre is open to the public right now, following public health guidelines. Drop in during operating hours to check it out, or read up on facilities and programs online: https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/prd/facilities/complex/3643/index.html.
The view from the rooftop is interesting, as you can see from the shots I posted a few weeks ago. Amazing? Definitely not.

It's a gorgeous building and will be a great community hub.

Two mild criticisms:
  1. I'm disappointed the community centre doesn't have a swimming pool. Not all residential buildings in the area have a pool, and the ones that do are usually the size of a bathtub,
  2. Secondly, there seems to be a big push recently for "natural playgrounds" with logs, wood chips and little or no play structures. Do kids actually prefer these spaces over traditionally playgrounds with swings and slides? Every time I see a natural playground they seem empty. Thinking back to my childhood, I feel like I would have preferred the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a gorgeous building and will be a great community hub.

Two mild criticisms:
  1. I'm disappointed the community centre doesn't have a swimming pool. Not all residential buildings in the area have a pool, and the ones that do are usually the size of a bathtub,

A facility with a pool will be coming to the area, its buried in the PF&R budget, I can't remember if it's above the line or not, I don't recall if they've picked a site.

Why a pool wasn't just incorporated in this site, rather than creating a need for an additional facility is a very good question.

1. Secondly, there seems to be a big push recently for "natural playgrounds" with logs, wood chips and little or no play structures. Do kids actually prefer these spaces over traditionally playgrounds with swings and slides? Every time I see a natural playground they seem empty. Thinking back to my childhood, I feel like I would have preferred the latter.

I've seen hybrids, that is 'natural playgrounds' that still have some sort of slide or other fixture.

In general, when done well, I think the natural playgrounds add variety for kids (alongside the more conventional offers); of course, any playground design can be poorly done/under-funded; and that's always a problem when that happens.

Back