Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

The only person rushing to hit the reply button is you. Begging the question: why are you so defensive about bad architecture?

The podium on this thing is a monumental embarrassment.

People coming to Toronto from New York and London to go to the film festival LAUGH OUT LOUD at how bad the entrance to the lobby is. Deal with it.

Not to quibble, since I'm not a huge fan of the podium either, but how is the entrance to the lobby the architects fault? I thought that was the 'art' display of s37 funds.

I actually like the orange podium. The issue I have is with the tower and the entrance. I don't even think there's a word out there that can describe the entrance. The money spent on the entrance makes me mad. It's sad because the units are very well done. Kirkor is a pretty weak architect with little to no vision so I'm not surprised.

I'd call the podium a terra cotta colour. Had it been orange it might have been a little more exciting. As a result, I find the podium doesn't really relate to the tower up top.

What I find unfortunate is that the execution of podium seems to have put a dead zone into the street life. With all the activity of nearby John Street, one could have hoped for a podium design that would have been a little mores sensitive to that somehow. The only saving grace is the addition of the restaurant facing onto Adelaide. One is nice, but had there been two or three such places in a row, it would have added a little more appeal to the street level.

There is a community theatre coming to the podium as well, so there will be animation on play nights, especially when people spill out during intermission for example.

I'm assuming there's more to come at the base of the building. Look at the base in these pics:

urbantoronto-1290-3806.jpg

urbantoronto-1290-3807.jpg

Going through the renderings. The lobby didn't quite work out this way, did it?
urbantoronto-1290-3822.jpg

Lobby1-21_Widmer_Street-Cinema_Tower_Condos-Elizabeth_Goulart-BROKER.jpg

Lobby2-21_Widmer_Street-Cinema_Tower_Condos-Elizabeth_Goulart-BROKER.jpg

Not quite the same.

Maybe you should think before you post. I think urbandreamer was referring to the orange base material. Which also reminds me of Florida condos. Most which surround my property outside of Tampa. I don't think he's saying there's anything EXACTLY like Cinema Tower (thank god).

Pretty sure urbandreamer was referring to the sprandel facade of Cinema Tower, not the orange podium.

The only person rushing to hit the reply button is you. Begging the question: why are you so defensive about bad architecture?

The podium on this thing is a monumental embarrassment.

People coming to Toronto from New York and London to go to the film festival LAUGH OUT LOUD at how bad the entrance to the lobby is. Deal with it.

You seem the one jumping to conclusion here. Where I have defended Cinema Tower? Can you point out exactly where I said that this thing is good architecture? You seem having some problem dealing with other people's opinions.

Going through the renderings. The lobby didn't quite work out this way, did it?

Not quite the same.

Never seen the actual lobby before and wow. It's so ugly! It looks like the reception area of a dental clinic or something. Terrible.

Never seen the actual lobby before and wow. It's so ugly! It looks like the reception area of a dental clinic or something. Terrible.

Yikes, you hit it on the nail. I was thinking more like a community centre or waiting area for a children's hospital.
The lobby is adding insult to injury after entering through the Flintstone-esque entrance.
Did Kirkor designed the interior?

The Montecito restaurant appendage building is the only acceptable, though boring, part of the building.

Yikes, you hit it on the nail. I was thinking more like a community centre or waiting area for a children's hospital.
The lobby is adding insult to injury after entering through the Flintstone-esque entrance.
Did Kirkor designed the interior?

The Montecito restaurant appendage building is the only acceptable, though boring, part of the building.

I'd actually to me looks like the lobby of a nicer European youth hostel.

Lame.

I wonder if Cinema Tower will eventually become generally known as the "Flintstones Building"?

Back