Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

Please elaborate. In fact, I think I will make popcorn in preparation for your reply. This can only be good.

Well, put the popcorn back in the cupboard. Because it was just a sarcastic, snarky comment about how out-of-place it now looks.

Well, put the popcorn back in the cupboard. Because it was just a sarcastic, snarky comment about how out-of-place it now looks.

You sir, owe me a bag of the butteriest variety of Orville.
No substitutions will be accepted.
Good day.

I like it. It's a hokey, out-of-place little thing but its shabbiness adds something that an expansion of the out-of-scale parking pile adjacent never could. The real bonus is that the site remains available for something separate from / other than from the aforementioned out-of-scale parking pile in the future.

I like it. It's a hokey, out-of-place little thing but its shabbiness adds something that an expansion of the out-of-scale parking pile adjacent never could. The real bonus is that the site remains available for something separate from / other than from the aforementioned out-of-scale parking pile in the future.

Realistically, could anything be built there without running into proximity issues and such from the planning dept?

Realistically, could anything be built there without running into proximity issues and such from the planning dept?

In theory, something like Market 707 at Dundas W and Bathurst might work - there's enough room there for some shipping containers. Add some impromptu seating, some lighting, and combined with the theatre district adjacent and some local food vendors you've got yourself a pretty promising night market setting.

Yesterday:

yZxY1my.jpg

For what it's worth, this is probably one of the least objectionable Kirkor designs. With better materials it may have even looked, dare I say, not bad. Balcony glass will help a bit too.

As bad as this building is, I sincerely believe that it's waaaaayyyy better than the Festival Tower!!! For a tower associated with film festivals in a big city like Toronto, Festival tower is one of the worst buildings in rescent times in our city. It's just a mediocre boring glass box with not a cent of aesthetics to it.....

Last edited:
As bad as this building is, I sincerely believe that it's waaaaayyyy better than the Festival Tower!!! For a tower associated with film festivals in a big city like Toronto, Festival tower is one of the worst buildings in rescent times in our city. It's just a mediocre boring glass box with not a cent of aesthetics to it.....

Agree. Festival Tower is the home of TIFF and the worst thing you can do in the entertainment industry is bore people. Festival Tower does that in spades. If there was one building that needed some pizzazz/glitz/glamour it was Festival Tower, but it couldn't be any more boring.

While I do agree that Festival Tower is mediocre, and that Cinema is nicer, Festival has an excellent podium.

It's about time we sincerely look outside the box here in this forum. Lots of people make empty noices about podium and how it meet the street; that's great, I am all for street relevance to a building. But let's get the fact straight; no one cares about festival tower's podium when looking at it from a far distance. The aesthetics of a building begin from how one sees it far away before enticing them to walk closer to take a picture. For a tower associated with films, we can all agree that it should have been worth being used in Holywood movies shot here in our city.

…we can all agree that it should have been worth being used in Holywood movies shot here in our city…

2) that's not the point of the building at all, and
1) we don't all agree on anything. We're here to discuss things, not just nod whenever one member declares they have the one unassailable truth on any particular building, etc. We hold opinions here; let's get that fact straight.

2) that's not the point of the building at all, and
1) we don't all agree on anything. We're here to discuss things, not just nod whenever one member declares they have the one unassailable truth on any particular building, etc. We hold opinions here; let's get that fact straight.

I agree; I should have made that statement without including everyone else ..... that's just my opinion for a building associated with film festivities.... I expect a unique design that would make it a landmark portion of the festivities and possibly be a demanded background for films ....thanks..

Is there a development planned for the parking lot directly beside Cinema Tower on the west side?

Back