Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I'm confused by this project. The site we see there seems to be 45 Bay Street. But some websites has the 81 Bay Street address. Is this the address for the second tower? And I thought the taller tower would be on the other side of the tracks? Are both towers located within this plot of land? I had the impression the other tower was on the north side of the tracks. But it doesn't seem there's enough land on the north side to build such a tower. Can someone explain to me?

Thanks!

I'm confused by this project. The site we see there seems to be 45 Bay Street. But some websites has the 81 Bay Street address. Is this the address for the second tower? And I thought the taller tower would be on the other side of the tracks? Are both towers located within this plot of land? I had the impression the other tower was on the north side of the tracks. But it doesn't seem there's enough land on the north side to build such a tower. Can someone explain to me?

Thanks!

Part of the North tower is over the tracks I believe. Not sure which ones taller though.

The legal address for the phase 1 tower is 45 Bay, but Hines/Ivanhoe Cambridge intend to have the address be 81 Bay once the building is complete. Not sure if they'll change the legal address to that, or just add it to the lot as a "convenience" address.

Phase 2 across the tracks will be 141 Bay, and it will be turned east-west to fit.

What are the additional vertical beams (inside the perineter wall) for? Are they remains of an earlier building or new for CIBC Square?

I would guess they will be support for the caisson wall. They can't use tiebacks in part to the subway

Reactions: DSC
I would guess they will be support for the caisson wall. They can't use tiebacks in part to the subway
Thanks, makes sense as I assume the Bay streetcar tunnel is right under Bay (and thus immediately west of the excavation) and the new platform that will be in the CIBC Square basement will presumably be about here. Thanks!

Not much new to describe this week, the hole is getting larger, but not deeper, the berm is getting smaller, the water problem appears to be solved. Work really slows down in wet, cold and windy weather as you would expect, so they are mostly finished about 5pm. One neat thing is the 'duster' style hi-viz insulated coats that they wear when it's cold or raining, they seem to be very well protected from the elements.

IMG_0530.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 485
Friday Update. The hole continues to get larger but not deeper, along the Bay St side a new crew of scaffolders are erecting a structure (orange poles) from the lowest level up to street level. There are concrete forms piled up along with a lot of scaffolding grids. It runs between the soldier columns that were installed a few weeks ago and the Bay Street wall

While digging about 5m down and about 20 meters south of the north wall they found a square drain, it runs from under Bay St travelling east towards Yonge St. They've been slowly exposing it and breaking it up to truck it away. I don't like to make suppositions on what I think is going to happen so I just try to describe what I see while the work proceeds

IMG_0534.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 474
They only have to go down 3 levels to P3.. could they just be doing it all in one go? Is it deep enough for 3 levels of underground yet?

Looks way too shallow for three stories to me but that could just be the angle from up above.

Looks like they are buidling a temporary platform for site offices and other materials while they continue to excavate

You know, the irony isn’t lost on me that when CIBC moves in, their office workers will be staring down at Scotiabank logos shining back at them.

Not much different than what happens today.

images-1.jpeg

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 448

Back