Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Such a massive site! I can't wait to see how this build is managed, there are a lot big names on this project, and a ton of attention due to its location next to the ACC, the Gardiner, Union, and the Core towers. This could go on to be the next jewel on the skyline, especially from the east. The first time we see the diagrid pattern on the glass is going to be a make-or-break for this project, and I'm feeling optimistic!

Digging Down. They have dug down about 4 or 5m below grade at the southwest corner. The water is still a problem and a new storage tank (orange) is now next to the blue one. The digger in the hole scoops deeper and dumps its bucket near the digger at grade level. The larger, grade level digger, moves the same dirt into dump trucks. It seem very efficient and is quite interesting to watch a co-ordinated effort between diggers and trucks. The row of beams that the welders had worked on in the previous week are now easily seen as they line up like soldiers below grade from north to south about 3m east of the Bay St wall. The tieback machines have finished along the Bay St. wall and have moved part way along the north facing wall. The berm, to the east, has been removed giving more opportunity to the tieback machines. Welders come along a day or so after the tieback machines have finished their work and weld plates with holes to the wire cables left by the tiebacks. The berm at the north east corner, to the north of the 18 Yonge St condo, has been lowered by about 3m. The tieback machines have been busy along this section of the north wall. There is a third digger working along the south wall next to Lake Shore Blvd. but it is out of my view and I cannot say what is happening there.

digging down.jpg

Attachments

• digging down.jpg
    digging down.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 598
Digging Down. They have dug down about 4 or 5m below grade at the southwest corner. The water is still a problem and a new storage tank (orange) is now next to the blue one. The digger in the hole scoops deeper and dumps its bucket near the digger at grade level. The larger, grade level digger, moves the same dirt into dump trucks. It seem very efficient and is quite interesting to watch a co-ordinated effort between diggers and trucks. The row of beams that the welders had worked on in the previous week are now easily seen as they line up like soldiers below grade from north to south about 3m east of the Bay St wall. The tieback machines have finished along the Bay St. wall and have moved part way along the north facing wall. The berm, to the east, has been removed giving more opportunity to the tieback machines. Welders come along a day or so after the tieback machines have finished their work and weld plates with holes to the wire cables left by the tiebacks. The berm at the north east corner, to the north of the 18 Yonge St condo, has been lowered by about 3m. The tieback machines have been busy along this section of the north wall. There is a third digger working along the south wall next to Lakeshore Blvd. but it is out of my view and I cannot say what is happening there.

View attachment 122861

These detailed updates are super appreciated Mike!

There are three photos today, the first was taken about 9am, and as you can see they seem to have mostly won the battle of the seeping water. The second photo is a closer look, taken about 3pm of the same area. Water is gone, and the hole is down at least 5 or 6m from grade. The last photo shows the whole site at 3pm. The tieback machines have been working on the third row along the north wall. It appears that there is 3m between each level of tie backs, the first, at the top was at about a meter below track level, the second row is about 3m below that and while still working on the third row, it is about 3m deeper. In the north east corner the tieback machine has appeared from behind 18 Yonge St, signalling that the work on the first row is complete in this area.

9am.jpg
SW close up.jpg
3pm.jpg

Attachments

• 9am.jpg
    9am.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 419
  • SW close up.jpg
    SW close up.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 429
  • 3pm.jpg
    3pm.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 417
For me I’m just awaiting the first pane of glass and the construction of the bridge. I always had a feeling Toronto would use that view there by union station to good use.

Back