Toronto Charlie Condos | 122.83m | 36s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

Three sidewalk planters, plus more than a half dozen of those large pot planters closer to the facade. There are another 3 or 4 of those to the left of the photo that you can't see, closer to the corner. I think the sidewalk's to look good.

8279686212_4fc7e3349c_b.jpg

Argg, I saw it in person, I dunno I like the idea but I think it takes up too much room on the sidewalk ... and almost blocks the entry into the retail units !

Actually, if we look closely I'm not sure there are any retail doors on that side for those planters to block. I thought that all the retail was mostly on King?

Those planters are on King too !

I definitely didn't notice the ones on King. I'll have to see those for myself the next time I'm in the area.

I have a thing for whimsically oversized planters, so I'm glad to see that they're being used here. Hopefully they don't block the sidewalk too much... otherwise maybe the rooftop amenities area on the podium would have been a better place to include them.

The planters do occupy a sizable portion of the sidewalk on Charlotte. The ones on King are set back a ways, but this is a pretty busy stretch of sidewalk.

That's a lot of planters.

The planters do occupy a sizable portion of the sidewalk on Charlotte. The ones on King are set back a ways, but this is a pretty busy stretch of sidewalk.

I've always hated those over-sized planters for anything that isn't temporary (e.g. a temporary road closure). They look cheap and clunky.

God forbid we actually get some more greenery into the area.

I can't believe what people complain about here… which is absolutely everything it seems.

Since the planters are going in, let's assume that some decent (hopefully coniferous) trees will be planted, and that the condo board will want to keep them healthy to keep the place looking good and the property value up.

For goodness sakes, things could be a lot worse than getting some new planters!

God forbid we actually get some more greenery into the area.

I can't believe what people complain about here… which is absolutely everything it seems.

Kitty, Kitty! Where is the sweet kitty of the past? For my part, I'm not opposed to greenery in the area. It is the neighbourhood I live in, and any greenery is welcome. That said, sidewalk space is at a premium, and hopefully the planters won't prove to be an obstacle to those moving along that stretch of sidewalk. Sadly, any plant life will be subject to the ill-will of some members of the Friday-Saturday night crowds, some of whom have shown what would appear to be an unbridled hate for trees, shrubs and flowers in the area.

Bit of leap to make "these specific planters aren't desirable" = "no greenery please". Planters and their associated greenery are great but that doesn't mean some can't be better than others. These take up a lot of space on a sidewalk of limited space. To me at least, they also look cheap.

I find it hard to believe you've never critiqued the smaller details of a project.

I've always hated those over-sized planters for anything that isn't temporary (e.g. a temporary road closure). They look cheap and clunky.

The oversized planters are often used to try out pedestrianization--opening the street to people. The ones on Yonge were temporary to try out a wider pedestrian realm, but recent examples in Toronto that may be permanent include Willcocks and Gould streets. On Devonshire Place at U of T, the trial was deemed not to have been successful enough and the planters were removed. If the trials are a success, they can lead to a full redesign of the street to be more attractive for pedestrians.

Last edited:

Back