Toronto Charlie Condos | 122.83m | 36s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

I've been hearing that this will be the next "yorkville"....does anyone know if the prices will go up for the area once Festival Tower and M5V is built?

I think that the prices will increase as the area continues to develop. The lightbox will bring with it some nice additional area amenities (such as the Oliver restaurants).

I think that that the 2 bedroom Northwest view on floors 15 or above would give a clear view to the west (the large gap between the Charlie podium and Hudson podium may allow the Charlie NW unit holders to have some view) and maybe Glas to the North?

expect King West to explode due to its excellent amenities and its access to the TTC...

What is MEC? Why would this affect the value of Charlie?

as a member of MEC, i wonder if i will get a share of the profit$ ... lol

the single storey commercial building across Charlotte

MEC stands for Mountain Equipment Co-op, which is 2 storeys actually, with a green roof on top. MEC has moved and grown before, and I can see them doing it again some time in the future. When they moved into area around 1995 not much else was going on in terms of redevelopment of the area (although the Princess of Wales had opened two years earlier, bringing more restaurants to the strip). More adventure retailers followed, all of which besides Europe Bound are now gone...

Anyway, no doubt some day the good folks at MEC will sell the land to a developer, and something tall will go in between Charlie and the Hyatt. While making for a much tighter view, it may be an improvement.

If MEC needed to expand again, then they would have taken over the Shoppers Drug Mart property before Shoppers moved in . I dont' really see MEC being torn down and developed into condos !.....That would be insane....That means there would be 7 condos (Glass,Charlie,Victory,
M5V,Festival Tower another condo behind glass and one more waiting for zoning approval opposite the Hayatt) within 4 blocks of each other.....If anything, I could see high end reatuarants or stores be put in it place !

So East views Charlie seem to be safe .........for now !

Well, for the time being, yes, Charlie will have east views, but for how long? If MEC were to sell, whatever were to go up in its place would definitely be tall: the land is too valuable now to build something small on the site.

If I were MEC, I would look for a cheaper site in the city, as they are sitting on a gold mine now, and their customers, I mean members, would likely follow them anywhere.

Well, for the time being, yes, Charlie will have east views, but for how long? If MEC were to sell, whatever were to go up in its place would definitely be tall: the land is too valuable now to build something small on the site.

If I were MEC, I would look for a cheaper site in the city, as they are sitting on a gold mine now, and their customers, I mean members, would likely follow them anywhere.

yes you're right in that if MEC were to sell, likely something tall would go up but that's a big IF and there is no indication that MEC will sell anytime soon -or ever. You are speaking as if it's inevitable that Charlie will one day lose its east view. It just seems to be comming out of no where.

yes you're right in that if MEC were to sell, likely something tall would go up but that's a big IF and there is no indication that MEC will sell anytime soon -or ever. You are speaking as if it's inevitable that Charlie will one day lose its east view. It just seems to be comming out of no where.

maybe not this year or next, but odds are something will occur within the next 10 years.

It is inevitable. And it's not out of nowhere; there is no way that two-storey building will survive on King Street.

Cheer up: your east view won't be so great anyway with the Hyatt building in the way, and any new tower built here will block out that monstrosity, at least.

You are speaking as if it's inevitable that Charlie will one day lose its east view. It just seems to be comming out of no where.

Yep, to expand on what CDR and Grey are saying -

None of us knows when MEC might sell. Even though they are a co-operative, they are still a profit making enterprise, so at some point they will opt to take the money and run. MEC are in a unique position to make a killing by selling - they bought the land when the area was depressed, and when they are ready (they should wait a few more years until a half dozen towers are up and the area is hot hot hot) they will get top dollar from a developer, and that developer will go after the top density they can get. MEC are nearly uniquely positioned to move wherever they want as their customers are members, and are loyal - once you've had MEC, you always go bec - so they can afford to go for cheap land in a depressed area again. They are a destination store and will make a new area cool just by being there.

So, if they can make a killing by moving, why doubt they will? They will! It's just, who knows when...

(I only started going on about this because a UTer was wondering about the east view. That person should realize it won't be there forever, that's all.)

Site is prepped and shoring equipment, including the steel, is on site. I took a picture yesterday but neglected to upload it, sorry.

I drove by this mornig ....They are just steps away from excavation ! I'm suprised they chose not to put hording up !...
Within 2 years Charlie will stand tall...This area will be booming with with all the development around it ! King st is always packed Thurs/Fri/Sat nite !

Also, to further the discussion about lost views...

What I find ridiculous is that D+S allowed Charlie to completely cover up the east-facing windows on the first 2-3 levels of Hudson. Nothing could have been done to preserve that fenestration? A mews perhaps? A thin, long garden stretching from King to Glas? Anything? I mean, it's not like D+S weren't familiar with Hudson - they designed the damn thing.

I'm particularly annoyed because this firm supposedly prides itself on creating buildings which don't make a showy mess of themselves, but rather recede into the background. Here however, we don't have a particularly stunning structure and we don't even get the solid urbanism which would assume what responsibilities 'showing off' would normally have taken. It's a decent building everywhere else but I find the fact that they would be so quick to block not just views (which, as many rightly note, shift over the years), but sunlight, air, and all of the other functions one would expect a window to preform.

Jacky-boy, where was the Insight on This Site? Perhaps he was busy hitting the buffet as he was at the Toronto Urban Design Awards the other night - man loves his tandoori chicken skewers, he had like 5!

This render best shows the err.

charlie-condo.jpg

Back