News   May 01, 2024
 768     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 261     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 334     0 

Toronto Celebrating: Blue Jays '92 and "93 and Argo Grey Cup celebrations...

Long Island Mike

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone: After seeing the video and pics of the Canadian Olympic hockey team celebration I was wondering:

Does anyone have any pics or videos of Toronto Blue Jays celebrations from 1992 and 1993 and Argonauts Grey Cup CFL championships from recent years? I'd like to remember and compare them with that recent City celebration...

Thanks all in advance - LI MIKE

That was a pretty intense celebration. Found this on YouTube:

[video=youtube;zUNXLdmD3TU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUNXLdmD3TU[/video]

1983 Grey Cup parade

2083212717.JPG

2083212713.JPG

The biggest Toronto sports parade I've ever seen (Leafs in the 60's were before my time), and the best hands down.

I was 17 in 1992 and living in St.Catharines. I remember that as soon as the final out was made, we decided to drive into Toronto. The Gardiner was backed up quite a ways (this must have been close to midnight) with cars totally stopped and people walking around on the Expressway. Downtown was absolute insanity. You just sort of heard this amazing roar as you got closer to the core.

I wound up at Peter Pan on Queen the next year, where the entire restaurant was watching that last game on a crappy little TV. Once again, total insanity. It was a sight to behold.

Everyone: I was living in the Philadelphia area back in 1993(Lansdale,PA)and I was perhaps the only one rooting for the Blue Jays in Phillies country...I was watching that game in a friend's apartment and I recall when Joe Carter hit that WS-winning HR...
I was happy for the Jays and I knew that Toronto would be a fun place to be in that time...it seems that with how Phillies fans treated Mitch Williams(who gave up that WS-winning HR)practically running him out of Philadelphia it would be a long time before he would live that certain pitch down...the 2008 Phillies WS championship healed many wounds from 1993 in the mind of their fans...Thoughts from LI MIKE

P.S. Thanks for the interesting video among other things!

Last edited:
Everyone: I was living in the Philadelphia area back in 1993(Lansdale,PA)and I was perhaps the only one rooting for the Blue Jays in Phillies country...I was watching that game in a friend's apartment and I recall when Joe Carter hit that WS-winning HR...
I was happy for the Jays and I knew that Toronto would be a fun place to be in that time...it seems that with how Phillies fans treated Mitch Williams(who gave up that WS-winning HR)practically running him out of Philadelphia it would be a long time before he would live that certain pitch down...the 2008 Phillies WS championship healed many wounds from 1993 in the mind of their fans...Thoughts from LI MIKE

P.S. Thanks for the interesting video among other things!

LI Mike, if you watch the final moments of game 6 you can see how tense Curt Schilling was getting in the Phillies dugout. He literally couldn't watch his closer attempt to seal the win for him. It's been said that Mitch Williams and Schilling always had a hostile relationship due to Curt's arrogant attitude, but also due to Williams' at times wild pitching patterns. Additionally, Curt's gestures in the dugout are said to have affected Mitch William's pitching performance, especially in high pressure situations. Sort of psyched him out in a way. Supposedly, Schilling and Williams have been enemies since the series-clinching walk-off back in 93.

Back