Toronto Brant Park | 35.36m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Redoing the cladding on the east side of the building here.
Previous look and progress photos.
20220719_122557.jpg

August 23rd, 2022

20220818_135414.jpg

20220823_085828.jpg

Do we have any renders of what that new cladding will look like?
I feel like it will be similar to what was there before. My feeling is that there was some water issues (rippling in the previous photo) and they had to remedy it.
Could be wrong though.

Wow, I was right lol

Seriously though, is there a way to hold developers accountable for this sort of thing? I imagine now the condo board/residents while have to bear the cost of re-cladding a building within what, 5-6 years? Developers don't care because they just get to hand off the shoddy workmanship. I suspect this is a sign of things to come from this building boom, we've already seen premature leaking of cheap window wall systems, failing balcony glass and so forth.

Wow, I was right lol

Seriously though, is there a way to hold developers accountable for this sort of thing? I imagine now the condo board/residents while have to bear the cost of re-cladding a building within what, 5-6 years? Developers don't care because they just get to hand off the shoddy workmanship. I suspect this is a sign of things to come from this building boom, we've already seen premature leaking of cheap window wall systems, failing balcony glass and so forth.

The accountability mechanism is through the warranty system and claims for compensation through the civil justice system. The argument that has to be made using evidence is that the builder didn't meet the standard of care in constructing the building and/or that the builder breached contracts, resulting in the loss.

However, the developer may point the finger at engineers, architects, contractors, or subcontractors involved in the construction of the building. It takes time to figure out who was responsible and to what extent and whether they can be held liable for the loss, but it's done every day by insurance companies and civil litigation lawyers like myself.

The accountability mechanism is through the warranty system and claims for compensation through the civil justice system. The argument that has to be made using evidence is that the builder didn't meet the standard of care in constructing the building and/or that the builder breached contracts, resulting in the loss.

However, the developer may point the finger at engineers, architects, contractors, or subcontractors involved in the construction of the building. It takes time to figure out who was responsible and to what extent and whether they can be held liable for the loss, but it's done every day by insurance companies and civil litigation lawyers like myself.
My understanding of EIFS at the very least is that it's quite prone to failure if not installed properly. This goes without saying for most materials, however EIFS seems especially finicky. Curious to see how this one shakes out.

If anything I believe the city, and all jurisdictions for that matter, should be scrutinizing these sorts of cladding and material decisions more carefully. We talk about climate change and environmental impacts, and here you've got a massive amount of material headed for the landfill after a few years. This just seems so grossly wasteful and a perfect example of a penny-wise but a pound-foolish.

Wow, I was right lol

Indeed. The builder should be paying for all of that.

Back