CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT, RETAIL
Proj: 9047110-16
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/START
Bohemian Embassy, 1171, 1171R Queen St W, M6J 1J4
$30,000,000 est

Start: October, 2008

Complete: December, 2010

Note: Construction manager for the project has changed. Sub trade pricing is being reviewed. All trades will be confirmed late 2009. Further update at that time.

Project: structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, concrete foundation; wood flooring; gypsum board interior walls and ceilings,rooftop deck; gardens; gymnasia; glass and brick cladding; const of a 19-storey condo apt building attached to an eight-storey apt building facing Queen St W and retail space.

Scope: 23,000 m²; 19 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 2 structures; 325 units; parking for 300 cars; 6,173 m²

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

First report Fri Jun 23, 2006. Last report Tue May 05, 2009.
This report Fri Oct 02, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=7d990c8f44ec32339e7c13e59ec2692d40d3621f&projectid=9047110&region=ontario

Construction manager for the project has changed

Interesting....looks like Pemberton has brought in their own crew....

good to see a stalled project back on track - thx for the pics, drum...

October 12 2009 update

Click to Enlarge

Scaled Model

This is what I did on my Thanksgiving Monday ~ ;)

Click to Enlarge

Mid-block walkway through Bohemian Embassy

Rooftop Party Room + Terrace at the top of the tower ~

Great pics! this project will not only change "West Queen West but also give our city a boost in morale and help people understand how change can be good. BoHo will have a lasting positive psychological effect (on the city) and will serve as a catalyst for more change and modernization in the area and for years to come.

I checked this out the other day as well, and I gotta say that with the exception of 1 floorplan out of tons, they all sucked with massive amounts of wasted space. They're not including HST in their pricing and all sorts of other things. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. Plus, the building is boring, standards below average and even their model suite looks shoddy. I'm glad it's back on track for the purchasers and I seriously hope they paid at least 20% less than what BoHo is asking for now or they won't see any capital gains for several years.

I do agree however, that this project and Westside Gallery Lofts behind and 2 Gladstone will change this neighbourhood (how can an influx of 1000 condos not change a neighbourhood), but I'm not sure if it will be for the best. It's already lost its cool factor because most of the artists have left to various other points where the rent is cheaper (Bloor/Landsdown/Dufferin area) and that was the main reason people wanted to move there in the first place. It is the natural process of gentrification, but it would've been nice to at least try to keep the flavour of the area.

I seriously hope they paid at least 20% less than what BoHo is asking for now or they won't see any capital gains for several years.

The issue of value increase over time and purchasing at present time at market value is true for any purchaser buying at today's prices, regardless if it's from a builder, an assignment or re-sale;

i.e. this is not an exclusive BoHo issue... and I personally believe that BoHo will rise beyond the negativity and end up being a great addition to the city.

Just like Greenwhich Village in the 70's and SoHo in the 80's... the artists will keep moving to the next area... it's part of city life cycle. etc etc

All the artists come from the area around Lawrence from Bathurst to Yonge? Huh?! UD: I accuse you of generalizing!!

Back