Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

geez, man.....I was trying to find the silver lining in the miserable second half of the season.....I had decided unimpeded construction was it.....you stole my joy!
What joy? Bizarre as it is, I feel disappointed that I won't be able to go to a match at BMO for 7 months ... it must he the masochist in me.

What joy? Bizarre as it is, I feel disappointed that I won't be able to go to a match at BMO for 7 months ... it must he the masochist in me.

I will miss it too....the "joy" was in the even though the season has ended there is the positive in that the construction could speed ahead now....you stole that by pointing out that not fully the case.

Like you, I guess, I just like going to the matches.

Was down at BMO yesterday on Sunday morning to see what was happening there with the expansion

HjBYeVI.jpg

wUOJv1d.jpg

Fans don't seem too happy with the pricing structure of the new seats. Looks like Bogers is trying to outdo OTPP for cluelessness.

--------------

It will be interesting to see if they can build this on time. Looking like it will be another cold shitty winter.

Nice video, however, as i understand it, phase 3 is contingent on the Argos coming to the party. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I can't believe this would go forward without them, having said that I'm far, far more interested in the Toronto FC than the Argos - to be honest, I'm far, far more interested in goldfish than the Argos so I don't care about them per se - But I would like to see phase 3 built.

(the Argos are currently operating at a loss and their addition to this expansion would cost the Argo owners $15 million - do people still go to Argo games? Nine home games per season would mean a loooong payback for any potential owner)

Last edited:
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.MM52.28

There's a further $10million needed to fund the expansion for CFL Football - the province have committed to giving their share of the money - the Feds have said they will not fund it.

So it will be up to either the CFL, the current Argos owners or new owners to kick in the remaining money for the phase 3 expansion

5Xakyfp.jpg

(the Argos are currently operating at a loss and their addition to this expansion would cost the Argo owners $15 million - do people still go to Argo games? Nine home games per season would mean a loooong payback for any potential owner)

Yes. Even with Rogers dicking them around and basically doing their best to kill the franchise because they prefer the boring American version.

Anyway of all things in this city nobody should care about the worst expansion franchise in sports is pretty high up there, not the oldest operating football franchise that recently won a championship.

Last edited:
I have little doubt in my mind that phase 3 will indeed go through. The 100th Anniversary of the Maple Leafs is happening in 2017 and they have a strong desire to host the outdoor Winter Classic. Just for that event alone, the additional 10,000 seats would go a long way in recouping the extra 10 million dollars needed to make it happen.

...they prefer the boring American version.

I dunno - if it were that interesting or exciting would the team be in this much trouble? Any buyers on the horizon? Can you actually make money with a CFL francise?

I'm not a fan of the CFL because it is a kicking game whereas the NFL is a passing game (extra down) but having said that, I don't know if there is enough football interest in general in T.O. to make even an NFL team work here. The "Bills" experiment wasn't very successful, but they weren't/aren't our team - how can you get excited about a "borrowed" team?

Someday someone with lots of cash (I strongly suspect Rogers is actively working on this - hence the foot dragging on the Argos) will acquire an expansion team - the NFL wants this too - then it may work. Until then we are stuck with the Argos.

Maybe Jays fans can kickstart the money so that the Argos get the boot and we can grow grass in the dome.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.MM52.28

There's a further $10million needed to fund the expansion for CFL Football - the province have committed to giving their share of the money - the Feds have said they will not fund it.

So it will be up to either the CFL, the current Argos owners or new owners to kick in the remaining money for the phase 3 expansion

5Xakyfp.jpg

I don't think the Feds - or the Province - should fund a private sporting venue.

And the CFL can't afford to - nor could an owner, without significant $ from a tv deal - a tv deal for the CFL? I don't think so.

Not seeing it. Why do they need 40,000 seats for the Argos? They are averaging 19,000 per game now - how will you fill those seats? A riveting nail biter against Saskatoon?

But, where will the Argos play in 2018 if this deal doesn't get done? everyone is holding out to see who will blink. Who ever puts up the money will never see it again so its either the Feds or some unknown billionaire who can afford to throw it away. Maybe the Feds are waiting until after the next election so they don't after to explain it to the great unwashed. Sad state of affairs. More exciting than an actual game.

Back