Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

A little salt is okay, but when it outweighs any snow or ice in the vicinity, that's just way too much.

Good point Metro man, that sounds like it will look very nice in the spring/summer/fall.

One thing I wished they had done, and it seems Toronto has never done, is adding that steel/copper? rim around the corner curves in the sidewalk to protect it from unwieldy turning cars maybe? It seems ubiquitous in the US, especially NYC and Chicago... I assume it's an old tradition.

I have seen those around albeit not many of them. It also helps protect young trees against vandals who get some sick, twisted thrill by ripping branches off whilst drunk. It seems to me more salt is being used these days too as opposed to shoveling snow and then a light salting.

Of the trees I looked at on Bloor St. E. non had buds on them. How come the trees are not blossoming like others? Are these trees late boomers?

Building a sidewalk isn't what it used to be. This one's like a giant jigsaw puzzle

granit1.jpg

They are a little dirty in some places where incomplete but it looks fine to me. Y- D Square has held up very well.

They're not just beautifying this stretch there's lots of infrastructure being updated above and down below. It's not a simple task to coordinate all this work in basically two phases.

I may have missed this being discussed before but a reliable source told me that the owner of William Ashley lost lot's of money fighting for the right to have a cut in the sidewalk for cars. Similar to what Pusateri's on Bay has for customer pick-up and drop-off. I think there's a name for what this is called. Anyone? But in any case William Ashley lost and had to pay the project's court costs. If there is any spot on Bloor where there is space for this it is definately in front of William Ashley's.

Back