Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Because there's a vague plan to redo the whole of the Hudson's Bay Centre retail areas, we are stuck waiting for the owners to take some action of some kind.

I hope that vague plan is still on Brookfield's radar. The interior space is in dire need of some upgrade. Hopefully the plan wasn't completely discarded after Saks chose the Queen st. location.

It was a nice day and I decided to take my car out for some air.
IMG_5671.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5671.JPG
    IMG_5671.JPG
    548.2 KB · Views: 578

Hmmm.

I like the idea of seating.

I like that there is a design element to said seating.

But I have some minor reservations about the impact on the trees.

I take it from the design that the intent is to fully encircle the tree.

The seating appears to come flush w/the paving.

The obvious risk is that during heavy rain you could have pooling which might drown the tree.

We don't that that many storms that are that bad; still most of the Bloor St. tree species are not tolerant having their base under water.

Perhaps the design will allow proper drainage, we shall have to see.

My other concern with a fully encircled design is inconsiderate oafs using it as a garbage can..........

The obvious risk is that during heavy rain you could have pooling which might drown the tree.

I'm no botanist but I had the opposite thought -- that the seats will protect the trees by keeping people, trash and, most importantly, road salt away from the tree base and surrounding soil.

Am I the only who's not into the idea of sitting down on that bench - way too close to the road and with my back turned to the traffic which is monstrous in that strip?

Last edited:
Its also slightly more difficult to rip branches off, which 1% of the population is prone to doing. Also keeps away bike chains.

This is the biggest thing I noticed. No way you can lock your bike to that tree now. Super tasteful and as these trees age it'll provide some shade.

Am I the only who's not into the idea of sitting down on that bench - way too close to the road and with my back turned to the traffic which is monstrous in that strip?

That was my first thought, too; between about Club Monaco at Avenue and Manulife (pre-desecration, at least), drivers treat that stretch of Bloor as a drag strip and it's generally pretty inhospitable to pedestrians. I'd rather the BIA reverse its position on bike lanes through this area if its goal is to enliven the non-auto environment and encourage more people to come and go.

That was my first thought, too; between about Club Monaco at Avenue and Manulife (pre-desecration, at least), drivers treat that stretch of Bloor as a drag strip and it's generally pretty inhospitable to pedestrians. I'd rather the BIA reverse its position on bike lanes through this area if its goal is to enliven the non-auto environment and encourage more people to come and go.

Yeah exactly. The only way I would sit in that bench is if there's a curbside bike lane to buffer from the traffic. Otherwise the retail character/street animation in this stretch is poor to non existent to choose to sit there anyway.

Its also slightly more difficult to rip branches off, which 1% of the population is prone to doing. Also keeps away bike chains.

Good point about the bike locking. Bark easily gets hacked up either from the lock, pedals, or just generally having metal pushed up against it. I know I've tried squeezing a U-lock between my frame and a tree. Damaged bark is a surefire way to prematurely kill one.

I kinda like the auto traffic in this area specifically, just because the high number of exotic or ultra-high end cars. When they're parked outside Holt Renfrew it provides street animation with pedestrians stopping to take photos.

Back