Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

I like the ghost facade. If they'd mimicked it exactly it would have looked cheap and ersatz. There's something interesting in the way that they copied it without copying it.

The ghost facade is fantastic and weird. Perhaps it would have been even more interesting and surreal if they'd gone with a solid colour, like a deep red or orange, but I like how the white facade fits with the idea upthread about the heritage building moulting and leaving its carapace behind as it transforms into a skyscraper. Can't wait to see this in person.

From a wee short time ago:

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 945
Just walked by the ghost wall and I personally think it looks like part of an abandoned building. The justifications for it feel just as empty. I would've loved to have seen it extended fully.

Not me. It's already a significant blow to the heritage resource to have moved it (albeit, arguably a reasonable trade-off). Lengthening it with a modern-day extension meant to look original would just be Disney-esque kitsch. Having said that, I'm not endorsing or criticizing the design choices they made with this ghost wall (can't really speak to it intelligently until I see it in person with the hoarding removed).

Lengthening it with a modern-day extension meant to look original would just be Disney-esque kitsch.

At this point, I'd take Disney-esque kitsch over this constant conservative safe blandness. I wish architects would take more risks.

At this point, I'd take Disney-esque kitsch over this constant conservative safe blandness. I wish architects would take more risks.

I think what they did was taking more of a risk. They could have just re-produced the facade, which most people on this forum and elsewhere would have expected. Instead, they went out of their way to produce something which stands out and has clearly spurred debate. The fact that half the users here love it while the other half hate it is a testament to the fact that it was a risky move.

Back