Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Yep, exactly what I often think when looking at projects like this. It's bizarre someone is actually employed, with the massive responsibility of designing a multi-multi-million dollar project, and pulls this out.

As I recall it was a G&C staff architect rather than a more experienced external. Too bad, College Park remains one of the largest projects in the city's history and it squandered a rare opportunity given the old Deco Eatons building and park.

WP_20160703_14_58_11_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160703_14_58_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160703_14_58_11_Pro.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 1,363
Is this the future of tall buildings to come??

Just live through 4 months having a single elevator at all times well new ones were being installed again. Wait up to 15 minutes for it.

What happens when elevators stop running at one of Toronto's tallest condos?

We all went through this during the elevator repair strike a few years ago.
The 18 floor condo I lived in at the time was often at one, and occasionally zero elevators for some time.
My office tower was down from six to one elevators to serve the group of 10 floors I work on. You could not use the stairs as an alternative as they were restricted access for emergencies only. Somehow, people survived it. Building management controlled elevator access, holding cars until they left the ground floor full and using manual operations as needed.

It just boggles my mind how often elevators ends up being inoperable, and how long it can take to get the parts/repairs. Imagine having to move when the elevators goes down! I can't imagine other cities with modern high rises suffer the same?

Should two circuit boards or even more be stamped out every time a new building's elevator system is installed, so there's a backup on hand already? It seems crazy to only create one without creating at least one more in case of a failure. A one month wait to get a new one is beyond ridiculous.

That's normal in Vancouver - all floors are locked off.
Your fob activates your floor and the parking levels. If you have a relative on another floor you may be able to program your fob to access multiple floors, but that's an exception.
Some boutique projects have biometric access with fingerprints (which would be a hassle because you can't just give keys to friend or guest (but it would prevent AirBnB use).

I live on a high floor at Residences of College Park I. I have been here for more than 9 years, and I can say with certainty that my next apartment will be on a low floor. One of our high-floor elevators was out of service for 4 months while they were waiting for replacement cables. Whenever anyone moved in or out, there would be only one elevator left. Once, all three high-floor elevators were out due to a flood (just like in the Aura story above). You would think it would be possible to devise waterproof circuitry.

I like tall buildings like many people here, but trust me, it can be extremely inconvenient. Never again.

Last edited:
Had all 4 elevators down for 4 days...and one working for about a week till the rest were fixed. There was a flood of course. Really made me rethink living on a higher floor if I live in another condo. Climbing 16 storeys after a hard day's work in 35C heat is not fun.

But why aren't these elevator systems built to handle flooding? On top of that it seems that many buildings aren't built with enough elevators. One elevator is almost always out of service. One is usually booked for moving/deliveries. Then you have one more maybe 2 spread over 30ish floors. As great as the views are, I'd never consider a penthouse unit in any super talls.

Back